Ides of March & Survivor main main Jim Peterik takes a spill onstage

Discuss other bands we like
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Ides of March & Survivor main main Jim Peterik takes a spill onstage

Post by strangeways »

356692745_9700207303383133_2335939313868569304_n.jpg
https://www.dailyherald.com/news/202307 ... d-to-be-ok

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2023/7/16/ ... d-to-be-ok

Jim Peterik of the Ides of March collapsed from apparent heat exhaustion while performing Sunday afternoon at the Des Plaines Theatre.

Ron Onesti, president and CEO of theater operator Onesti Entertainment Corp., later said Peterik is in good spirits and is expected to be OK.

Peterik was playing guitar and singing with the Ides of March at about 4:30 p.m. when he collapsed during the final song of the performance's first half, Onesti said.

"He got a little dizzy and fell backward. We called the ambulance," he added. "He was 100% coherent the whole time and smiling and communicative. He didn't pass out or anything like that. So it looks to me like there should be no issue whatsoever."

Onesti said Peterik had been on stage for a long time and was wearing a heavy costume. A doctor said the collapse likely was the result of heat exhaustion and dehydration, he added.

The show, Cornerstones of Rock, also featured the New Colony Six, the Cryan' Shames and the Buckinghams.

Peterik, a Chicago-area native and Grammy winner, is best known for writing hits including "Vehicle" with the Ides of March and "Eye of the Tiger" with Survivor.

---------------------
https://www.facebook.com/officialjimpeterik

Thanks to all the family, friends and fans who have been sending me well wishes!

At around 3pm on Sunday, the Ides of March took the stage to host the Cornerstones of Rock show at Ron Onesti's Des Plaines Theatre. It was an amazing, packed house starting with the Ides singing the National Anthem gathered around an old-fashioned ribbon mic with an image of the late, great Dick Biondi on the back screen.

The Ides did our usual set opener -- "People Get Ready" into "Aire Of a Good Feeling." Then started the cavalcade of Cornerstones of Rock stars accompanied by vintage video clips as each act took the stage: the fantastic New Colony Six with Ronnie Rice, Ray Graffia and Bruce Mattey; Dan Buck's tribute to the late, much-missed Jimy Sohns; our heroes The Cryan' Shames with Tom Doody and Jim Pilster; and then capping off the first set it was our turn on center stage. Although we backed up all the bands mentioned, this was our time to shine.
We started with the rare gem "Roller Coaster" from 1966 and had the whole house rocking. Then our big hit from earlier that year, "You Wouldn't Listen" complete with that corny choreography that we've done since the year it came out…
Next I got my acoustic guitar and we harmonized to a fan favorite - our 1971 smash "LA Goodbye" which spent five weeks at the top of the WLS Silver Dollar Survey.

Finally, it was time for our last song of the set -- the one we always save for the end -- "Vehicle." For some reason, I started to feel a little dizzy and woozy, but I ignored it and soldiered on introducing the song as I always do. The last line I spoke haltingly -- "So strap yourself in, it's going to be a bumpy ride [pause] and this is the vehicle that got us here tonight!"

I counted it off, the brass blared, but as I started to sing the room started spinning and I started to lose consciousness until I blacked out and fell over right on stage. Next thing I saw as I started to come to was a group of people all around me taking my vitals, trying to get me talking, Ron Onesti trying his best to make me laugh.

It was all a blur as I got loaded into an ambulance and take over to the nearest hospital, Lutheran General, where I was pumped with fluids. They told me later that my blood sugar was only 47 when I came in! They did some more tests while Karen stayed with me, and hours later, when my vitals were more-or-less back to normal what a joy it was to see the smiling and relieved faces of the Ides -- Larry, Bob, Mike and Scott along with Chris May who had pretty much orchestrated the rescue and made all the calls. And thank you to keyboardist Tommy Leerschen for medical support.
I plan to get back on track in the studio on Wednesday, cutting tracks for my next World Stage album and preparing for my CD release party with Toby Hitchcock on Thursday evening at Ron Onesti's Rock & Ravioli room in St. Charles where we'll play tracks and sing a couple of songs from "Dream Higher" and take questions.

P.S. Maybe I should have eaten more than a muffin and a banana before the show. Just sayin'. Lesson learned.
Jimbo

I was there. It was quite concerning until the ambulance came and Jim signaled to the crowd he was okay.

"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Ides of March & Survivor main main Jim Peterik takes a spill onstage

Post by Genebaby »

Wow, yeah. I've been hearing how hot it's been this summer over there.

Glad to see it turned out ok.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Post by strangeways »

Jim is back onstage and fully recovered.
Saw him a mere 4 days after the incident.
Good to see.

"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Nice!
Commander in chief - VVF Army