John Corabi (new book)

Discuss other bands we like
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

John Corabi (new book)

Post by strangeways »

His new book is great!

Our manager set up a meeting with Gene at SIR studios to play a few songs for him. When we played for him, I started singing, and he soon stopped us to give us some songwriting pointers. He also wasn't a fan of our band name Angora. He said, "I fucking hate it. It's stupid, it's fluffy, why do you want to use that name? It's a fucking sweater."

He said he wanted to change our name to 8-Ball. Thinking he was referring to drugs I said to him, "What the fuck does that mean?"
He replied. "You're four guys, therefore you have eight balls."
"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: John Corabi (new book)

Post by Genebaby »

Cool, this would be a great read for sure. I didn't know about it, thanks.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
metatron

Post by metatron »

Got a signed copy.
Show have called it 'the truth'
As in the truth compared to Motley's fabricated sensationalize tabloid 'The Dirt'
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

Angora what a horrible name.

Never liked his voice at all. Just ruined Motley.
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Post by strangeways »

VVArchives wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:50 am Angora what a horrible name.
I agree.
VVArchives wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:50 am Never liked his voice at all. Just ruined Motley.
I disagree.
That Motley Crue album w/John is my favorite album of theirs.

Early on, Tommy and Nikki warned me of the trials and tribulations of being in a band of that caliber.
“Everybody’s going to say you’re changing, but it’s everybody around you that’s going to change.”

-------------

It felt like everything in Motley’s universe was completely falling apart. As enjoyable as our first record was, this era of the Crue was dark and felt as though it could all implode at any moment. We were looking at each other with disgust and none of us trusted the others.
Tommy said, “Give me something ballsy, like fucking Pantera, but lush like Oasis."
Then Nikki said, “Yeah, but like the Manioc Street Preachers or Sisters of Mercy, and old Bowie combined,” and then Scott (producer) said, “Yeah dude, like old Cheap Trick.”

-------------

NIkki said in The Dirt, "Corabi was being treated like a criminal who had stolen our careers. Every day, we'd take all our frustrations out on him; we'd tell him he needed to cut his hair or that he needed to sign in a completely different style. And every week we'd change our minds about everything."

I can expand on that.
I was told I was not up to par with the other three guys in the band, and that I needed to cut my hair; I needed a wardrobe person; and I needed a choreography person.
"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I only knew him from The Scream (I was never a Motley fan) because I was a big fan of Racer X and when they broke up, Bruce Bouillet & Juan Alderete formed The Scream.

Thought Corabi had a ballsy, bluesy voice. 10 X better than the hollow whine of Vince Neil!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I got into The Scream cause it was produced by Eddie Kramer so after reading some Metal Edge or whatever info I bought the album. Then found out they were going to break up.....

I didn't even know who Bruce was and that he was in the band, he was just some faceless guitar player to me. Found out many, many years later, and only now found out about Juan from Racer X was in it too.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
slim87

Post by slim87 »

John Corabi & Bruce Kulick were great on the Union cds they made.