How Dana Strum introduced Randy Rhoads to Ozzy Osbourne and CHANGED Metal Forever

Discuss other bands we like
metatron

How Dana Strum introduced Randy Rhoads to Ozzy Osbourne and CHANGED Metal Forever

Post by metatron »

I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Mikelangelo

Re: How Dana Strum introduced Randy Rhoads to Ozzy Osbourne and CHANGED Metal Forever

Post by Mikelangelo »

Dana Strum never gets much credit for that...
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: How Dana Strum introduced Randy Rhoads to Ozzy Osbourne and CHANGED Metal Forever

Post by Genebaby »

It does amaze me as to how much Dana had going on for him back then. People knew him, he knew people, he set up Ozzy with Randy, was in the band for a split second etc, but it wasn't until 1986 that we see him in a band with a record out situation. And who is he with? Out of all the outfits and people he could have hooked up his little red wagon to? Our Vinnie and he's part of the Vinnie Vincent Invasion.

Always struck me as strange, once I discovered more about Dana. Of course at the time I had no idea who he was so took it for granted that he was in a similar situation to Bobby, getting his first big break in the business, and nice to meet you etc.

At least he put his experience to good use and formed Slaughter and was HUGE for a while, while still being able to have a career all through this time.

I'm not sure why his break came only via Vinnie, after so many years, but clearly he wasn't going to waste it, which was also good to see.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

I don't know that much about Dana, but I have the album by Badaxe (or how you spell it...) somewhere on laptop. Should give it a spin to see how they sounded.
ankh

Post by ankh »

Dana recommended jae e lee to ozzy and was offrered 5k by Paul Stanley to find a substitute to Vinnie, he suggested kevin carlson if i'm not mistaken.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I don't know much about Kevin, nor had I heard of him before, but I see he was with Aldo Nova, and sadly passed away 10 years ago.

Wasn't Mark St. John recommended by Grover Jackson? Mark was using Jacksons and did already have that sweet yellow/gold strat and then used a Soloist as well during his time in KISS.
ankh

Post by ankh »

Kevon Carslon was suggested between the european and american likc it up tour, Enfer magazines also cited Kiss askin to mick mars and jack starr, and they were turned down.

Gene suggested Michael ray and Paul also made him auditon but he had a contract with Wendy o Williams.

Grover suggested Mark To G&P and also it seems tha t one costruction worker whpo was workign at Paul apt, did see mark name and said good things about him.

Mark also said tha t in n 1983,he and Allan holdsworth were in the studio and grover Jackson brought Vinnie with him and presented him as the new Kiss guitarist, both Mark and Allan didn't think too much pof the band, to be polite.Mark later commented " little did i know then that on year later i was in the same place(laughing).

I quote form mmemroies about interview Mark gave to "Hard! force" magazine, and he described the Whole situation in detail ,both about the audition and the recording and the live gigs, and the Enfer quuote was also by memory.
Mark also endorsed G&L guitars and in a video on you tube you could see him with a huge rack and a twin neck guitar playng "Can you dance to it" with his cover band, pre kiss.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Good memories. I can only imagine having to find a guitarist three times in such a short time. There's a lot to be said for stability, which is what they got once Bruce joined, so I can understand the situation.
metatron

Post by metatron »

I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.