Lanny Cordola

Discuss other bands we like
doublev2

Lanny Cordola

Post by doublev2 »

Lots of things I don't like but some I so. Lanny was a student of mark st john.. ken Mary of Alice cooper on drums here
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Lanny Cordola

Post by Genebaby »

He's got some tasty chops alright.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Last I heard of Lanny, he was teaching music to children in Afghanistan.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
MrSirTrevor

Post by MrSirTrevor »

I loved his stuff that he did with Ken Tamplin back in the 90's, including the Magdallan albums they both did. Also the early House of Lords albums had excellent guitar work (even though I think Jimi Bell would give him a run for his money).
I'm Sir Trevor Gielgud Burton-Guinness, And I Approved This Message
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

MrSirTrevor wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:24 pm I loved his stuff that he did with Ken Tamplin back in the 90's, including the Magdallan albums they both did. Also the early House of Lords albums had excellent guitar work (even though I think Jimi Bell would give him a run for his money).
Jimi Bell seems to go off the rails (in a bad way) during a lot of clips I've watched of him on Youtube.

NEWBEGINNINGS
MrSirTrevor

Post by MrSirTrevor »

poserboy71 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:32 pm
MrSirTrevor wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:24 pm I loved his stuff that he did with Ken Tamplin back in the 90's, including the Magdallan albums they both did. Also the early House of Lords albums had excellent guitar work (even though I think Jimi Bell would give him a run for his money).
Jimi Bell seems to go off the rails (in a bad way) during a lot of clips I've watched of him on Youtube.
You think so? His studio stuff sounds pretty solid to me, like on the song Go To Hell. Live I haven't hard anything that sounded bad.....unlike say Janick Gers, who wrote the book on horrible live performances, I've thought now for 25 years. I've got to be missing something, although I haven't listened to too many live performances of House Of Lords on YouTube. I can't stand that amateur shaky camera stuff for too long!
MrSirTrevor

Post by MrSirTrevor »

Lanny Cordola on guitar, Ken Tamplin on vox, and Ken Mary (another House of Lords member) on drums. This is one of my favorite cd's in the thousands I own.
metatron

Post by metatron »

That is outstanding. Insane playing and vocals.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

MrSirTrevor wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:20 pm
You think so? His studio stuff sounds pretty solid to me, like on the song Go To Hell. Live I haven't hard anything that sounded bad.....unlike say Janick Gers, who wrote the book on horrible live performances, I've thought now for 25 years. I've got to be missing something, although I haven't listened to too many live performances of House Of Lords on YouTube. I can't stand that amateur shaky camera stuff for too long!
In a way, we are from opposite ends of the spectrum because I appreciate Janick Gers and everything he brings.

As for Jimi Bell, I hear the possibility of greatness because the technique is there. The live things I have witnessed via Youtube show me that his ear needs some fine tuning though. Even during the finale' bombast of any song, musicality suffers for mere display of technique. If you drop an overkill turd of technique at the end of a good song that doesn't call for it, the whole song suffers.
Vinnie, on the VVI debut, shows how to do it.
The end of 'Animal' is the perfect example.

Jimi Bell doing something similar at the end of 'Turn Up The Radio' , even though impressive in chops, is the perfect example of poor taste in shred. He performs the main solo as well as Steve Lynch does live but then...
Watching other live Autograph examples... I will cut him some slack on out of tune bends. Maybe he knocked his guitar out a bit.

I guess he learned their set in a few days ,but still, he has been around long enough to know when to let loose. Especially at the end of a show, at the end of their most popular tune, it's about THAT song and not noodles.
It may seem harsh but something tells me that's not the first or last time.
He can learn a bit from Janick. Hit a big chord and launch your guitar at the lighting rig while dancing like a "Kansas City Faggot" (Blazing Saddles).

NEWBEGINNINGS
MrSirTrevor

Post by MrSirTrevor »

poserboy71 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:26 am
In a way, we are from opposite ends of the spectrum because I appreciate Janick Gers and everything he brings.

As for Jimi Bell, I hear the possibility of greatness because the technique is there. The live things I have witnessed via Youtube show me that his ear needs some fine tuning though. Even during the finale' bombast of any song, musicality suffers for mere display of technique. If you drop an overkill turd of technique at the end of a good song that doesn't call for it, the whole song suffers.

Jimi Bell doing something similar at the end of 'Turn Up The Radio' , even though impressive in chops, is the perfect example of poor taste in shred. He performs the main solo as well as Steve Lynch does live but then...
Watching other live Autograph examples... I will cut him some slack on out of tune bends. Maybe he knocked his guitar out a bit.

I guess he learned their set in a few days ,but still, he has been around long enough to know when to let loose. Especially at the end of a show, at the end of their most popular tune, it's about THAT song and not noodles.
He can learn a bit from Janick. Hit a big chord and launch your guitar at the lighting rig while dancing like a "Kansas City Faggot" (Blazing Saddles).

Ah ha, nnooww I know where you're coming from. I suppose for my part I was keeping him in the House of Lords box and leaving it at that. Even the few live clips I listened to of them online I never noticed anything "abnormal", nor "Abby Normal" (my Young Frankenstein plug - btw, that Blazing Saddles line is hilarious!) Jimi Bell is no spring chicken, I'm sure like most musicians his age he's set in his ways, but agreed, that ending was brutal. For me I'm just not a Janick fan - of course, I'm biased - been a Maiden fan since I was a kid, even my license plates say IRNM8DN. I always preferred the Smith/Murray tandem. Even though Adrian Smith left and then came back, for me, I just could never get into the new sound. I've got plenty of fellow Maiden friends that think I'm probably too critical; they get my point, but they think my opinion is clouded by sentimental bias.....lol, perhaps, perhaps. So, I'm not sure if you and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum as much as you might think. There will be plenty of guitarists we will agree on (good or bad) and a few we may be at opposite ends on.

If Maiden wanted to go with a guitar trio, have Dennis Stratton come back. That guy can run circles around most guys half his age! Stratton was Phantom Of The Opera and as you can see in the video, he's not a bad singer.
MrSirTrevor

Post by MrSirTrevor »

metatron wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:18 am That is outstanding. Insane playing and vocals.
He has a YouTube page, mostly now he's a vocal coach (lol, actually a legit one). I had a buddy get me turned onto his Christian music back in the early 90's. It definitly wasn't Stryper, much better; and what impressed me most was those time signatures in many of the the songs (not a lot of 4/4 stuff), nice! He's also a pretty good guitar player as well.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I realize that I'm tone deaf but I love Jimi Bell. I dig HOL and I was never aware that he has filled in for Steve Lynch in Autograph. Sounded to me like he did a good job of copying the Steve Lynch Chops while spraying his own goo all over the end of the song
metatron

Post by metatron »

MrSirTrevor wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:26 pm
poserboy71 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:26 am

Ah ha, nnooww I know where you're coming from. I suppose for my part I was keeping him in the House of Lords box and leaving it at that. Even the few live clips I listened to of them online I never noticed anything "abnormal", nor "Abby Normal" (my Young Frankenstein plug - btw, that Blazing Saddles line is hilarious!) Jimi Bell is no spring chicken, I'm sure like most musicians his age he's set in his ways, but agreed, that ending was brutal. For me I'm just not a Janick fan - of course, I'm biased - been a Maiden fan since I was a kid, even my license plates say IRNM8DN. I always preferred the Smith/Murray tandem. Even though Adrian Smith left and then came back, for me, I just could never get into the new sound. I've got plenty of fellow Maiden friends that think I'm probably too critical; they get my point, but they think my opinion is clouded by sentimental bias.....lol, perhaps, perhaps. So, I'm not sure if you and I are at opposite ends of the spectrum as much as you might think. There will be plenty of guitarists we will agree on (good or bad) and a few we may be at opposite ends on.

If Maiden wanted to go with a guitar trio, have Dennis Stratton come back. That guy can run circles around most guys half his age! Stratton was Phantom Of The Opera and as you can see in the video, he's not a bad singer.
Man, how good is the Sound - Jaw dropping. Full pros
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
metatron

Post by metatron »

See, I'd pay money to see these guys cause they give you some kind of assurance that you will get a performance.
Others - not to name any one. Hint - there is a little ol' freedom forum named after him and he gives you NOTHING!
Not one 5sec clip. No a 1sec chip - na na na, Zero, NOTHING!
MrSirTrevor

Post by MrSirTrevor »

metatron wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:06 am See, I'd pay money to see these guys cause they give you some kind of assurance that you will get a performance.
Others - not to name any one. Hint - there is a little ol' freedom forum named after him and he gives you NOTHING!
Not one 5sec clip. No a 1sec chip - na na na, Zero, NOTHING!
Stratton was only in Maiden for something like a year, but man, what an impression! He revamped his old band, Lionheart, a few years ago. Best track on there is the remake of Don't Pay The Ferryman. I've got most of the stuff he did with Praying Mantis, too. In fact, I still follow those guys even Stratton gone. Yeah, so you watch this video, and like you said, you'll get a performance! Plus, they're all totally laid back and funny as hell.....and that bass player slays me! So chill, holding the guitar up and high. Steve Harris he's not!
metatron

Post by metatron »

Check this out!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

SOTN is such an Anthemic Iconic Song I really enjoy hearing different adaptations of it
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Yeah poor old Dennis. Rod Smallwood just didn't like him and wanted him gone but he was a good performer and songwriter in the Maiden style. But since Adrian should have been in the band before Dennis joined, I guess he can look back with some happiness.

That bass player! Never seen a bass or guitar held THAT high before! lol
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Vic, Maybe the Jimi Bell section of this thread should have its own thread ?

Jimi has stellar chops and tone.
I enjoy him more than Joe Stump.

I have not heard anything original from either one that is better than the covers they play.

NEWBEGINNINGS
MrSirTrevor

Post by MrSirTrevor »

metatron wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:10 am
Check this out!
That wasn't bad, less grand-standing.
MrSirTrevor

Post by MrSirTrevor »

shramiac wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:49 am Yeah poor old Dennis. Rod Smallwood just didn't like him and wanted him gone but he was a good performer and songwriter in the Maiden style. But since Adrian should have been in the band before Dennis joined, I guess he can look back with some happiness.

That bass player! Never seen a bass or guitar held THAT high before! lol
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about that guy on bass. How awkward! Stratton brought his old band, Lionheart, back a few years ago. They even remade a very familiar song: