Poll: STYX puts Roboto back in the set / Yes or No? / 07.07.18 pics w/Joan Jett & Tesla

Discuss other bands we like

STYX puts Roboto back in the set / Yes or No? / 07.07.18 pic

Roboto yes
83%
Roboto no
17%

Total votes: 6

strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Poll: STYX puts Roboto back in the set / Yes or No? / 07.07.18 pics w/Joan Jett & Tesla

Post by strangeways »

The big story of the tour is that Mr. Roboto is back in the set.
What say you?
Mr. Roboto no or Mr Roboto yes?
Domo for your vote ;)

Both camps address it for your viewing pleasure...

Lawrence Gowan speaks on Roboto....

http://www.immusicmag.com/2018/06/inter ... n-of-styx/

That conversation started about five years ago on our bus. Tommy said, ‘you know, I’d really like to play “Mr. Roboto,” but there’s just so much baggage that we had to go through when we made that record. It ultimately led to the band breaking up, but I actually like that song. I just didn’t like the experience of making that album. I’d like to play it, but people will be upset if we play it because it’s so on record that we didn’t enjoy the experience.’

Really, it’s the convoluted interpretation of that statement that really has stuck with the band. For example, The Mission is a concept record and some credits said ‘I thought you guys hated concept records?’ No, that’s not the case at all. You could argue that Grand Illusion is a concept record and so is Pieces of Eight. It was the experience around that concept record (Kilroy Was Here) that left the band at odds with each other, but that’s not disparaging of the song. That’s the part that you have to separate from it. I was all for it because for a song like that to last as long as is has with numerous cultural references to it, it’s part of the history of the band. Flash forward to this year when we decided to actually do it, it was pointed out that when they did the song on that tour that Dennis DeYoung sang it to the track as part of the theatrical production; the song preceded the other guys coming on stage.

This came to light because Tommy would look at JY and say ‘I forget what I played on this.’ JY responded, ‘I don’t remember playing on this at all. Did I play keys?’ Our drummer Todd told us that he was at the show in Chicago when was thirteen years old and neither of them was on stage for that song. That was kind of a great moment because it kind of opened it to, in that case, let’s make it a little heavier and add some guitars to it. I intend to sing it with a bit more anger; I love the built-in drama of the lyrics. Someone who is forced to hide their identity; I think it’s a great concept. The robots are here to stay and we’re living with them and with a little bit of fear of just how high they will rise, whether we like it or not. On top of everything else, the song is fun, so why shouldn’t we play it?

from the Dennis DeYoung Facebook account

Hey Kids,

Are the Blackhawks doing skate arounds on the river Styx? I don’t think so, but one can’t be too careful cause that river’s hot. And I’ve seen “It’s A Wonderful Life” and I know what happens when ice melts. Besides, I don’t like skating because I can go really fast but then I can’t stop. Ow! my ankle.

Vindication, redemption, exoneration...nah I’ve already seen the current spin cycle. It’s just two guys finally admitting the obvious. People like it. Can’t imagine how many times the boys were asked the question “hey how come you ain’t playing Roboto?” Burtnik wanted to play it, Todd and Gowan wanted to play it, and millions of others wanted to hear it. But no, this song ruined the band. And so now, 35 years later nearly to the day, June 2nd, 1983 Tommy quit the band on stage in D.C. because of Kilroy and Mr. Roboto and now it’s resurrected. Hallelujah.

A whole bunch of time has been spent over the last 18 years denigrating Kilroy and Roboto and yours truly. Why? Why? In light of this move “is a puzzlement to me”. Well he’s baaaaack! Like a bad penny or a wooden nickel or simply a damn catchy tune; your choice. Tap your foot and sing after me, Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto, rinse and repeat. And by the way, there’s a message if you care to read the lyrics. “The problem’s plain to see too much technology, machines to save our lives machines dehumanize”. Two things can simultaneously be true.

I imagine it will become obvious to them when they perform it… what they have been missing. It’s something I have known for 18 years. And that is…people will go bananas when it’s played cause they like it, it’s fun. It’s that simple, and a whole bunch of Styx fans became so after hearing this song. They then went back and bought the catalog. I know this because I have read it and heard it from fans countless times. Also, the song was placed in the most prestigious spot in their show, the encore, a spot reserved for the big ones. Usually CSA or Renegade. Wow, that’s a reversal of fortune from derision and ignominy to the encore. Good for Roboto I wish I knew his secret...secret secret. Perhaps he’ll share it with me and one last reunion tour will happen. By playing this song after all the vitriol it’s an admission, but of what? Kids you tell me. I predict that Roboto will ultimately become Styx’s most popular song over time. Not because it’s one of our best songs, but because it is what it is. Go figure. I never thought it was a hit record when I wrote it and said so then.

Mysteriously Vevo (partly owned by Universal) and owner of the Styx catalog, current, and past, kept Roboto off of its YouTube site for the past 8 years. Why? The same thing with Babe, Show Me the Way and Don’t Let it End. Yet Desert Moon has been on since day one huh, what? I got this stupidity rectified 9 months ago and Vevo posted it. Roboto will have 5 million views by years end. Let’s see… 5 million times 8 is 40 million. This is tripled our highest viewed video counting the one that a fan posted that had 8.5 million views before Vevo took that one down. But who’s counting? I confess me. OK, enough whining. I wrote a song about this phenomenon on BNW, no it’s not Goodbye Roseland.

In conclusion, to my old buddies I say, welcome to the club and Domo arigato Mr. Roboto for all you have given and I really mean it. Tinkers to Everett to Chance. Come on Cub and Styx fans, I need an Amen.

Cheers
Bobby Modren Killjoy

-----------

STYX
set list 07.07.2018

Overture
Gone Gone Gone
Blue Collar Man (Long Nights)
Grand Illusion
Lady
Light Up
Rockin' the Paradise
Radio Silence
Miss America
The Outpost
Fooling Yourself (The Angry Young Man)
Too Much Time on My Hands
Khedive
Come Sail Away
Mr. Roboto
Renegade

JOAN JETT
set list:
Bad Reputation
Cherry Bomb (The Runaways song)
Do You Wanna Touch Me (Oh Yeah) (Gary Glitter cover)
Victim of Circumstance
Soulmates to Strangers
You Drive Me Wild (The Runaways song)
Light of Day (Bruce Springsteen cover)
Fake Friends
Love Is Pain
TMI
Fresh Start
Love Is All Around (Sonny Curtis cover)
I Love Rock 'n' Roll (The Arrows cover)
Crimson & Clover (Tommy James & the Shondells cover)
I Hate Myself for Loving You
Everyday People (Sly & The Family Stone cover)

TESLA
set list:
I Wanna Live
Hang Tough
Heaven's Trail (No Way Out)
What You Give
Signs (Five Man Electrical Band cover)
Love Song
Little Suzi (Ph.D. cover)
Modern Day Cowboy

[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/ ... wke4aq.jpg[/img
"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
shramiac

Re: Poll: STYX puts Roboto back in the set / Yes or No? / 07.07.18 pics w/Joan Jett & Tesla

Post by shramiac »

UGH!!!!! It's a terrible song!

I haven't listened to much of them to be honest. Though, I have enjoyed watching their drummer's YouTube clips. Classy player.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Poll: STYX puts Roboto back in the set / Yes or No? / 07.07.18 pics w/Joan Jett & Tesla

Post by Genebaby »

Ahhh, why not!!

I wish Tesla would bloody come back to Oz, it's been too long. Always jealous of when people get to see them, though I don't like any of their new albums, their old stuff was brilliant. Interesting to see Frankie play an Epi.

I was just talking about Joan Jett with my brother earlier.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

Voted yes. Now if they can just put "Babe" back in the setlist, they can call themselves STYX and hold their heads high.
Vinnie who?
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

Joan Jett has held up amazingly well over the years.
Vinnie who?
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

DDY has a small victory.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS