BEST IVE EVER SEEN LIVE

Discuss other bands we like
davestod

BEST IVE EVER SEEN LIVE

Post by davestod »

Now fast approaching my 60s my gigging escapades are slowing down, not helped by high ticket prices (UK) that have me picking and choosing concerts these days. I was like most kids in the UK into Marc Bolan - T.Rex untill xmas 73 when i heard Made in Japan, not long after followed Sabbath Vol 4 - Humble Pie's Rockin the Fillmore - Fireball - In Rock and a huge smack in the face called Burn.
That was it - a rocker was born and Deep Purple topped my list, one huge slip up before Burn tho when my mates mum said she was nipping up to the local ticket office and who would we like to go and see, Purple or Sabbath. well being 14 year olds we had school to attend so Purple on a Wednesday was out opting for the Sabbath gig on a Sunday - damn and blast a big mistake that I still regret. After this Queen for £1, Budgie, UFO for 25 pence, Be Bop Deluxe, Scorpions, Rush, AC/DC, Rainbow, Gillan, Lizzy, Whitesnake, SRV, and so on, oh and had to wait until 1987 to finally see Purple.

In seeing I dont know how many bands down the years I have 3 huge faves - Glenn Hughes on the Feel tour attended by about 300 and one of the nicest people ive ever met, had the pleasure of shaking Bon Scott's hand at Trentham Gardens and will never ever forget that ckeeky grin on his face, and last year at the Birmingham Symphony Hall, Chris Cornell.

Glenn Hughes - been there done that and lucky to be alive - still has along with Paul Rodgers one of the finest voices in rock n roll. Looking forward to seeing him in Jan with BCC - a band he was born to be in.
Bon Scott - if you never had the balls to get up on the stage and sing - well Bon did it for you, not the worlds greatest vocalist but one of the best frontmen ever.
Chris Cornell - discovered him late on via the Bond song and never really entertained the Grunge scene, but after nearly 3 hours of playing I said to my nephew "it don't get any better than that". This guy oozed class, alone with an acoustic and funny stories in between - what a loss to the world of rock and i still cant get my head around his passing. By the way this gig at Birmingham cost nearly £100 - but - it was worth every damn penny !!.

As for Kiss, me and mate were mad on them from Kiss until Love Gun but grew tired of waiting for them to tour the UK. Lost interest album wise with Dynasty, Unmasked and The Elder and so never to this day ive seen them live. Favourite periods - Ace and Vinny, cant understand why Vinny gets the stick he does for his time in the band, he certainly gave them the re-start they needed.

That's it my friends, im glad ive found this site as its a wealth of info and pleased to meet you all.

ROCK ON

Dave
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: BEST IVE EVER SEEN LIVE

Post by Genebaby »

Nice post.

I like your description of Bon, a true legend that left us too soon. Too soon for me to see him unfortunatley.

You never saw Kiss on the reunion tours in the 90's even? They did Donington, that would have been cool.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Spot on about Bon and Glenn.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
davestod

Post by davestod »

Hi GB - no I didn't attend but now wish i had. Looking back to those reunion years I was in-between jobs, forced out of high paid work to near half pay on the next one for 62 hours a week working, and that didn't let up until 2004 !!. I don't think I set far into the concert world unless it was on my door step ie Glenn Hughes which i think cost around £10 for the ticket.
That gig with Bon, I arrived late and sort of squeezed my way to stage front where my mate was, and he was absolute AC/DC mad. Sometime during the gig he said "save my place while I go for a p**s", so I took his place leaning on the stage. Anyways not long after Bon kneels down right in front of me and arms out stretch and one by one they pull back and im the one shaking his hand - with my mate pounding on my back shouting - "bas***d, bas***d" - he didn't forgive me for years lol.
But yeah even tho i'd seen Queen 4 years earlier and I knew they were going to be big, Bon was something real special and as I say, I will never forget that grin - Priceless memory ~
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Bon mojo !!!!
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Loved Glenn's work with John Norum on "Face the Truth".
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Welcome here brother!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Great stories and memories man. Bummer about missing out on a few gigs for those years. Still, many of our faves are still touring!
Commander in chief - VVF Army