Marty Friedman

Discuss other bands we like
tukoztukoz

Marty Friedman

Post by tukoztukoz »

I've never paid much attention to Marty Friedman, but since I've got interested in buying a Jackson Ke 1 Marty Friedman, I've checked some his videos on youtube. Great player!
say two sky two say fare
doublev2

Re: Marty Friedman

Post by doublev2 »

I loved him. He used to write to me via his fan club from 1987 way before anyone knew who he was. Cacophony were super obscure until Marty joined Megadeth and they were still obscure until the internet got big as far as I know.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

there is a slight VVI connection with Marty. Marty produced and played on APOCRYPHA - The Eyes Of Time, an early version of this band featured Mark Slaughter on the vocals and he also wore those tight mouth pants with them in a photo.

If you hear Eyes of Time you can easily spot Friedman and also the guitar player at that time was a sort of copy of Friedman somewhat in style.
Bye Bye
Hummarstra

Post by Hummarstra »

Friedman is one of my all time faves. Just brilliant, unpredictable and plays from his heart. I personally feel that both Cacophony albums are amongst the best guitar recordings of all time.
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Cool! I remember seing Friedman, Mustaine, Batio and co in Guitar for the pract. Musician I suscribed in the late eighties... After a while, all of them were just like the same to me, I lost interest in metal at the time and went to other styles. Today it's cool to discover the ones that really have something more than the others.
Same thing happened with VV, I didn't listen to any VV or Invasion track from 1990 to 2011 !!!
say two sky two say fare
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Hah. Had a few days off five weeks ago to travel to Sydney to catch Dream Theater.
As usual, headed over to Utopia Records to pick up a few CDs. Marty’s new one was one of the ones I picked up. Only listened to it today for the first time! Some ripper stuff on there. Nice he gets a violinist and a cellist to play some of his licks.
Found Cacophony a hard listen because of the singer, remember laughing when I first heard them. Been a while since I gave them a spin......20 years I’d guess!
Marty & Jason we’re superb together. I can listen to 1990/94 Megadeth any time, any where.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Friedman's videos are really interesting.
About Marty's sig guitar, how much do you think it's worth? No trem, just one PU, that' s what makes me hesitate... I saw one or two on ebay and reverb, but I can't figure what price would be acceptable...
IMG_8567.PNG
say two sky two say fare
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

His Kellys were pretty basic. Like Dave, he had the Kahler that looked like but wasn't actually a trem! Prefer him with a Kelly rather than the Jackson Les Paul knock-off signature model he's using now. Also can't believe he stuck with 22 frets for the production model either??? His main player (the prototype I guess?) is a 24 fretter. Funnily enough, his main Megadeth Kelly was a 22 fretter! :lol:

Coudn't say what that'd be worth though tbh. I had a look and the price IS up there isn't it! :shock: :shock: :shock: Guessing there wasn't a heap of them made?

Kelly/Explorer/Destroyer shaped guitars can be a tad awkward to play if you you have any sort of belly! Which none of us have, as we're all fitness freaks! :P :P :P
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

:lol: i bought running shoes years ago and never used them... if I put them on, with the Kelly on my belly, that will maybe work... :lol:
I wonder if it's possible to fix a Kahler trem on that guitar, without any modification on the body. Seems possible...
There was a Ferrari red on reverb at a fairly high price. The ad said "it was very rare, which is not the case of the black/trans black /or white KE1's", as if there was plenty of these being sold...
i couldn't find the original price of the KE1 MF too.
say two sky two say fare
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

tukoztukoz wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:29 pm Think a lot of us have a case of "Kelly Belly"! :( :( :( :( :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder if it's possible to fix a Kahler trem on that guitar, without any modification on the body. Seems possible...

That'd be a big NO!!! Kahlers have a big route underneath them to fit all the spring mechanism. The non trem versions are just top mounted.

There was a Ferrari red on reverb at a fairly high price. The ad said "it was very rare, which is not the case of the black/trans black /or white KE1's", as if there was plenty of these being sold...
i couldn't find the original price of the KE1 MF too.

Yeah, that red one was $4000+
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Ok, thanks!
That kahler bridge is really strange, looks like a trem but no...
say two sky two say fare
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

His red carvin sold for very little in a charity event about 10 years ago. Like 500 bucks or something.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

tukoztukoz wrote:Ok, thanks!
That kahler bridge is really strange, looks like a trem but no...
Yes, it's not a direct, easy fit, but you could get the hole required to fit the trem version of the bridge and that would look factory.

The other issue is the lock nut. Either mod for a Floyd nut, or use the Kahler nut that locks after the regular nut, which would suit.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

I won't have to lose myself into Kahler bridges, because I tried to buy that Kelly, but someone bid more than what I did for it...
Now I'm open for another guitar. Don't know what or when, we'll see.
say two sky two say fare
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

This is great

Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ah, the 80's....
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

becker was still in his teens i think and Friedman early 20s
Bye Bye
Cernex

Post by Cernex »

doublev2 wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:18 am there is a slight VVI connection with Marty. Marty produced and played on APOCRYPHA - The Eyes Of Time, an early version of this band featured Mark Slaughter on the vocals and he also wore those tight mouth pants with them in a photo.

If you hear Eyes of Time you can easily spot Friedman and also the guitar player at that time was a sort of copy of Friedman somewhat in style.

You mean this one? Oh, I have something new to listen while driving at work. Thanks!
Space Galleon Javelin - My space opera web serial. It's free! And complete! Go check it out.
Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon Author page, for if you want to check my fiction and stuff.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yes. Some of the guys were in mark Slaughter's band. Area 54 is a more polished album of theirs
Bye Bye
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Just found one of those KE1. Cool guitar!
Pachebel impro with hybrid picking derived from VV...
say two sky two say fare
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

You got a KE1? Congratulations!!
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Thanks boss! I have to take some pics of it
say two sky two say fare
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

The attachment IMG_0385.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_0386.JPG is no longer available
The attachment IMG_0387.JPG is no longer available
IMG_0385.JPG
say two sky two say fare
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

The attachment IMG_0386.JPG is no longer available
IMG_0386.JPG
say two sky two say fare
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

That is a beauty!
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

Awesome guitar!!
Vinnie who?
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Thanks!
IMG_0387.JPG
say two sky two say fare
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

IMG_0388.JPG
...Can't post every pics at the same time...
say two sky two say fare
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

That's a very nice Jackson, congrats on getting it man.
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

i have always loved that body shape.
Vinnie who?
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

HOLY WARS!!!!!!! :P :D

Nice find. Congrats.
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Thanks again !
Jackson necks and fretboards are great. Love the sort of thick poly paint too
say two sky two say fare
Kuron

Post by Kuron »

tukoztukoz wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:33 am Jackson necks and fretboards are great.

The best acoustic I ever owned (regardless of price) was a Charvel by Jackson. Gorgeous black finish, cutaway, no pickup and the neck and fretboard were smooth as could be. That is one of two guitars I regret selling.
Vinnie who?