Yngwie Malmsteen 05.21.2017 - Illinois - pics / set list

Discuss other bands we like
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Yngwie Malmsteen 05.21.2017 - Illinois - pics / set list

Post by strangeways »

set list (I think):
Rising Force
Spellbound / Into Valhalla / Baroque & Roll
Soldier
Top Down, Foot Down
Like an Angel (For April)
Badinerie (Johann Sebastian Bach cover)
Concerto #4
Adagio / Far Beyond the Sun
The Star-Spangled Banner (John Stafford Smith cover)
Seventh Sign
World on Fire
Now Your Ships Are Burned
Evil Eye
Trilogy Suite Op: 5
Guitar Solo
Fugue
Blue
Drum Solo
Heaven Tonight

Encore:
Acoustic Guitar Solo / Black Star
I'll See the Light Tonight

"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
poserboy71

Re: Yngwie Malmsteen 05.21.2017 - Illinois - pics / set list

Post by poserboy71 »

GREAT PHOTOGRAPHS, Strangeways !!!!
This was my experience from the Greensburg, Pennsylvania (Paul Gilbert hometown) show a few weeks back.
Hilarious reaction watching the local crew open the trailer attached to the bus.
Yngwie was in good spirits and joked with me throughout the day although he did get a little hairy with the sound man and his tech a few times before the gig.
It took quite a while to dial in his microphone because he will not comprise anything. Thst is what we all love about the guy.
You get big hair ( Yes he has extensions but the stuff on top is real. Showered before soundcheck and slightly thin on the crown), big amps, leather, pick flipping, guitar throwing, extended solos,etc...
The PLAY LOUD moniker is not a joke.
Bring a sound system louder than his Marshalls!!!!
(He plays with two heads on and I believe 2 cabinets...1 bottom cabinet on each far side of the stage---- I forget and I unplugged it.lol)
Yngwie ALLOWED his bassist to use a Marshall cabinet (usually plays direct) and Yngwie dialed it in PROUDLY saying that ,"...sounds like Bob Daisley !"
For some reason Yngwie treated me nicely. Maybe it's my hair ?Maybe it's Maybelline ?
Attachments
20170512_130530_001.jpg
20170512_150302.jpg
20170512_190848.jpg
20170512_193720.jpg
20170512_203015.jpg
20170512_204537.jpg
2017-05-12 20.25.28.jpg
20170512_151849_004.jpg
20170512_151838_001.jpg
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Man Yngwie has really slimmed down good for him as it is hard to do in your 50's. I had to smirk reviewing the set list that shows "Guitar Solo" what is amusing about this to me is that Yngwie's whole set is really a self gratifying guitar solo. Don't get me wrong, I love him and he is definitely one of my favorites but it could be fairly argued that Yngwie hasn't evolved much and that each album recorded stylistically is very similar over 30 years. If you like his early solo albums then perhaps that is a good thing?

Great thread!
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I beg to differ about his EVOLUTION.
While he gives you the Yngwie that you know and love, he sneaks in some really cool stuff throughout the night.
We have all heard him bust out some Blues/Pentatonic riffage but it seems like it was tastier and more focused in Greensburg. It seemed to me that it had more ATTACK ;) than his normal linear playing that night.
He tends to slop a bit through the tunes in favor of showmanship and I am more than good with that. I know what he can do . He does stop at certain points and let's you see the player instead of the showman.
The scariest part of the night is when he started the encore of 'ISTLT' at an insanely hell bent speed and killed it with extreme precision.
Blew my fucking mind.
P.S.- I fingered his guitars throughout the day . Wow...just WOW !!!!
Yngwie proudly speaks of his signature guitars and Marshalls with anyone that cares. Very cool in my book.
Also, judging by the Borat references from the band, you have to venture a strong guess that they watch it a lot on the bus.
Yngwie has been sober for 18 years now. It is a DRY tour. The bassist and drummer were overjoyed to have a beer waiting for them during an Yngwie solo spot and one each after the show.
Yngwie has lost weight but still enjoys eating a cookie. I guess it is portion control now. Something I need to start ...lol
Strict "NO WHITE LIGHTS" policy on stage.

NEWBEGINNINGS
ankh

Post by ankh »

great pics and posts, both of you.Funnily enough, i have the same pk5 pedalboard-and,when he used it, the same expander.I just need his dexterity :P.
I Always wondered what would have happened if he tried to step out of his persona and usual style, and hear him play different styles.
Thne i remembered also a great quote from George benson(No slouch himself, on guitar):
"If i could play what i really like, i would have been starvin' from a long,long time":
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

poserboy71 wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 2:27 am I beg to differ about his EVOLUTION.
While he gives you the Yngwie that you know and love, he sneaks in some really cool stuff throughout the night.
We have all heard him bust out some Blues/Pentatonic riffage but it seems like it was tastier and more focused in Greensburg. It seemed to me that it had more ATTACK ;) than his normal linear playing that night.
He tends to slop a bit through the tunes in favor of showmanship and I am more than good with that. I know what he can do . He does stop at certain points and let's you see the player instead of the showman.
The scariest part of the night is when he started the encore of 'ISTLT' at an insanely hell bent speed and killed it with extreme precision.
Blew my fucking mind.
P.S.- I fingered his guitars throughout the day . Wow...just WOW !!!!
Yngwie proudly speaks of his signature guitars and Marshalls with anyone that cares. Very cool in my book.
Also, judging by the Borat references from the band, you have to venture a strong guess that they watch it a lot on the bus.
Yngwie has been sober for 18 years now. It is a DRY tour. The bassist and drummer were overjoyed to have a beer waiting for them during an Yngwie solo spot and one each after the show.
Yngwie has lost weight but still enjoys eating a cookie. I guess it is portion control now. Something I need to start ...lol
Strict "NO WHITE LIGHTS" policy on stage.
Great Post! Did you meet April? I met her in the 1980's at the Showcase Theater which was a little club in the town of Corona. She was quite the beautiful woman and still is! I agree that he has precision picking and I would add that in my opinion he has a sweet hand vibrato too

You mentioned that you knoodled with his strats. What did you think? The scallop style that he uses is really deep which makes it easy to play scales and notes but strange to play chords

Great Thread and great share everyone!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Man, that is an insane amount of heads and cabinets for one guitarist, ha ha. You gotta love it.

Me thinks things would be different if he was lugging them around and setting up himself. Then it might be more like me, just the one head and cabinet, lol.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
wolfgang161272

Post by wolfgang161272 »

He is still a killer on guitar!
Great post and good pics. He lost his weight much but looks a lot better now.
His equipment is also fantastic...

Hey Vinnie - look at him: THIS is the way you had to walk !!!!
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Yngwie's son , Antonio, and April (Yngwie's wife)were around all day long. April has a "Mom" hairdo now but is still a very beautiful lady. She periodically would film a Facebook Live segment.
Antonio handles little things on the tour and is a well-adjusted young man. I asked him about the mini Fender Stratocaster he got when he was born. He said the intonation is horrible. I have since tried to get him to take a photograph of it and share. Fingers crossed...

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Way cool.

When I saw him two years ago with another 120-150 people (1000 standing capacity room! Dang! Brisbane can be too laid back sometimes :( ), he played I'll See the Light Tonight at a million miles an hour as well! Majorly, majorly scary hearing it that fast and clean! Thought I was doing okay when I learnt the breakdown before the solo up to the studio version's speed! Back to the woodshed for another 75 years! :( :lol:

Had had nearly as many heads that night too. Rest of the band was smooshed into a small spot on stage right.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

poserboy71 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:10 am Yngwie's son , Antonio, and April (Yngwie's wife)were around all day long. April has a "Mom" hairdo now but is still a very beautiful lady. She periodically would film a Facebook Live segment.
Antonio handles little things on the tour and is a well-adjusted young man. I asked him about the mini Fender Stratocaster he got when he was born. He said the intonation is horrible. I have since tried to get him to take a photograph of it and share. Fingers crossed...
Antonio is a good player as well.
birnie

Post by birnie »

Marshall.jpg
Marshall.jpg (58.03 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
:P :P :D :D 8) 8)
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Does he still have scalloped neck. How can he play cords with that?
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Of course! Scallops are cool.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(