RIP Nick Menza

Discuss other bands we like
Genebaby
Site Admin

RIP Nick Menza

Post by Genebaby »

Shocked to hear that Nick passed away just very recently while playing with his band.

Here's a very cool drummer cam that was on Nick back in the good old days....

[youtube][/youtube]
Commander in chief - VVF Army
SonOfTheAnkh

Re: RIP Nick Menza

Post by SonOfTheAnkh »

Genebaby wrote:Shocked to hear that Nick passed away just very recently while playing with his band.

Here's a very cool drummer cam that was on Nick back in the good old days....

[youtube][/youtube]
No way!!! When did you hear about this????
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Fantastic drummer. Rust in Peace is my probably my favourite album of all time. Nick had such an energy as the video GB posted, shows.

Nick for me was like George Lynch. Not the greatest technicians or most talented but, had some sort of lyrical quality in their playing that makes them stand out from the crowd.

Still the only drummer I know of that was credited with playing "Lead Drums" on an album.

Rest in Peace Nick.

[youtube][/youtube]
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
SonOfTheAnkh

Post by SonOfTheAnkh »

shramiac wrote::cry: :cry: :cry:

Fantastic drummer. Rust in Peace is my probably my favourite album of all time. Nick had such an energy as the video GB posted, shows.

Nick for me was like George Lynch. Not the greatest technicians or most talented but, had some sort of lyrical quality in their playing that makes them stand out from the crowd.

Still the only drummer I know of that was credited with playing "Lead Drums" on an album.

Rest in Peace Nick.

[youtube][/youtube]
So many fantastic musicians passing away lately...it's so sad
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I had a drummer pass out on us while we played once. He was still a teenager so it wasn't health related as such, he just keeled over mid song.

It was totally unexpected, and for a short time I didn't know what was happening, I was just thinking, gee, he's really listing sideways, he better be careful, but then he had fainted and we had a short break.

I think it was the stress of playing his first gig with us, with his father, who is a great drummer, in the audience. I can't imagine what it would be like if that had happened and he hadn't recovered.
SonOfTheAnkh

Post by SonOfTheAnkh »

Genebaby wrote:I had a drummer pass out on us while we played once. He was still a teenager so it wasn't health related as such, he just keeled over mid song.

It was totally unexpected, and for a short time I didn't know what was happening, I was just thinking, gee, he's really listing sideways, he better be careful, but then he had fainted and we had a short break.

I think it was the stress of playing his first gig with us, with his father, who is a great drummer, in the audience. I can't imagine what it would be like if that had happened and he hadn't recovered.
that must have been really scary
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It was pretty surreal, especially as it was totally unexpected. I wouldn't expect anyone I know to keel over, and that's the first time I've seen anyone faint.
SonOfTheAnkh

Post by SonOfTheAnkh »

Genebaby wrote:It was pretty surreal, especially as it was totally unexpected. I wouldn't expect anyone I know to keel over, and that's the first time I've seen anyone faint.
Man, hearing about this stuff makes me wonder what kind of stuff could happen when my band eventually gets on stage...
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

The real story is that one un-named member of GB's band had consumed copious amounts of baked beans an hour or so before the gig! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

In "good news", if you can call it that, Nick's death has been confirmed as a straight out heart attack and no drugs were involved. Nice to know he was clean living..........makes it super sad that he died from a "HA" at such a young age. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

We mostly figured it was a heart attack, just unexpected due to his age, and considering he would have been in pretty good shape.

It took me a while but I think I got your joke. "Someone" gassed the drummer, yeah?.....lol...
SonOfTheAnkh

Post by SonOfTheAnkh »

Genebaby wrote:We mostly figured it was a heart attack, just unexpected due to his age, and considering he would have been in pretty good shape.

It took me a while but I think I got your joke. "Someone" gassed the drummer, yeah?.....lol...
maybe he just tired himself out slamming on the drums so hard :D
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Nah, it was all too much for him, playing live, with his dad watching.
SonOfTheAnkh

Post by SonOfTheAnkh »

Genebaby wrote:Nah, it was all too much for him, playing live, with his dad watching.
is it super daunting?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Thinking about it some more, it was probably due to playing in my band, it's an amazing honour for any musician and I think he was really feeling it.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Genebaby wrote:Thinking about it some more, it was probably due to playing in my band, it's an amazing honour for any musician and I think he was really feeling it.

:idea: :wink: :wink:
SonOfTheAnkh

Post by SonOfTheAnkh »

Genebaby wrote:Thinking about it some more, it was probably due to playing in my band, it's an amazing honour for any musician and I think he was really feeling it.
any spots open? lol :D
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ha ha, I actually spoke to his dad about either of them being in my band today but he's since gotten married and just had a baby and dad is very busy with projects already.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

He was tought by some of the best jazz drummers including buddy rich, elvin jones, louis bellson plus gadd and peart. This is surely where the lyrical part of his drumming shram talks about came from.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Yes he would have been! His Dad being a renowned sax player would have given great exposure to a young Nick.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Groovin hard by buddy rich is a great don menza tune
Bye Bye