Van Halen

Discuss other bands we like
poserboy71

Van Halen

Post by poserboy71 »

"FLAWLESS" first 6 albums, clams and all !
Proving that music isn't about pinpoint precision but about swagger and how low you can swing your dick (ladies ,you can do that as well for it is simply a metaphor)

Van Hagar- 5150 and F.U.C.K. are this lineups best efforts in my opinion. The rest of their output was largely filler to me.

Cherone VH3-
Has some very good moments on it. EVH put his SOUL into this album and when it wasn't received in the way other VH albums had been, THIS plus the other drama in ED's life,PLUSdrugs and booze, led him to seclude himself for lengths of time (SOUND FAMILIAR ?) Definitely NOT party rock. Probably some of EVH'S finest moments are contained within this album. This album makes you think. Most rock fans don't want to do that. I can do without political topics in songs though. Only put this album on when you're feeling adventurous.

Van Halen 2011-
New album and tour on the way. My buddy Tom Weber is Eddie's tech. Life is gonna be sweet in the VH universe next year.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Van Halen

Post by Genebaby »

Oh yeah, the mighty VH!!!! Love the brown sound!!!!

I saw some tribute bands a few years ago and the VH one (Xhalen) stole the show. Custom VH axes built by the bass player and the VH guy, Enzo, was amazing. I forgot how cool Ed was back in the day until I him do the moves and make the noises. I video taped their show, so glad I did.

Due to logistics I missed it when VH toured here in 98. They bloody played Canberra too, which is an amazing thing, but I was out of town and didn't get to the Sydney show either. I was jazzed when Gary joined as I really liked Extreme. It wasn't a bad album but I haven't played it in a long time.

Eddie really went downhill after that tour. I've seen him lookin' shockin' at NAAM with the bottle nearby, making it all the sadder, what was happening to him. At one stage he fair dinkum looked like a hobo.

BUT!!! He got it all back together again and will be on top again I'm sure. His 5150 III amp is meant to sound killer (had some build quality issues early on, bad Fender, bad) and a new album, oh yeah, let's see what they come up with. Bring it on Eddie!!!!
Commander in chief - VVF Army
syncophile42

Post by syncophile42 »

Van Halen, now we're talking.

Pretty much agree with everthing so far, except I don't really get on with Hagar or Cherone's voices which sound similar to me.

I love the way the first 6 albums sound so haphazzard in a 'no really, we know exactly what we are doing - see?' kind of way.

Eddie's playing flaws me every time, I'm always hearing new things in it, particularly his rhythm playing.

Can't wait to see how the original (-1) progress from 1984, and what influence the years apart may have had. I've been anticipating this, next to new Vinnie material, for a while but I'm much more worried that I'm going to do disappointed by it than anything by VV.
"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

What Poser said!!!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(