The Jimmy Crespo Project

Discuss other bands we like
poserboy71

The Jimmy Crespo Project

Post by poserboy71 »

Jimmy took over guitar duties for Joe Perry when he left Aerosmith. This was during the formative years of my guitar playing where I was developing what I liked. Jimmy and Vinnie share many similarities to me as far as putting out STELLAR material for their respective bands that wasn't appreciated by the masses .They were both one of the main contributers in their bands. They were also technically better musicians and better songwriters than the people that they replaced (and I absolutely dig Joe and Ace !) .

Since Jimmy was booted from Aerosmith, he has kept busy. Most notably playing guitar in Rod Stewart's touring band. He has been somewhat of a recluse in the past decade until recently. He has put together The Jimmy Crespo Project (a playful name nod to The Joe Perry Project) and has been playing around Las Vegas. The band does some classic rock, some classic Aerosmith, and the entire Rock In A Hard Place album that Jimmy shined on.

It would be something wonderful if Vinnie put together a band and played around the Nashville area. Fuck all rumors and just play for the folks that show up.
Jimmy Crespo is an inspiration. Play that fucking guitar and share your music.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Re: The Jimmy Crespo Project

Post by Slayer »

poserboy71 wrote:Jimmy took over guitar duties for Joe Perry when he left Aerosmith. This was during the formative years of my guitar playing where I was developing what I liked. Jimmy and Vinnie share many similarities to me as far as putting out STELLAR material for their respective bands that wasn't appreciated by the masses .They were both one of the main contributers in their bands. They were also technically better musicians and better songwriters than the people that they replaced (and I absolutely dig Joe and Ace !) .

Since Jimmy was booted from Aerosmith, he has kept busy. Most notably playing guitar in Rod Stewart's touring band. He has been somewhat of a recluse in the past decade until recently. He has put together The Jimmy Crespo Project (a playful name nod to The Joe Perry Project) and has been playing around Las Vegas. The band does some classic rock, some classic Aerosmith, and the entire Rock In A Hard Place album that Jimmy shined on.

It would be something wonderful if Vinnie put together a band and played around the Nashville area. Fuck all rumors and just play for the folks that show up.
Jimmy Crespo is an inspiration. Play that fucking guitar and share your music.

It's fascinating how we have the same heros and influences in some instances. I have always dug Jimmy Crespo and though I respect Joe Perry as a song writer who seems to have a knack for writing catchy grooves he isn't the musician that Jimmy Crespo is. I wouldn't have brought up a Jimmy Crespo because I wouldn't have anticipated that anybody here would have ever heard of him. Rick how old are you? You would have been very young when Crespo played with Aerosmith in 79 and 80. How the fuck would you have been exposed to Crespo?

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I don't think age is too big a factor Kev. If you dig a band, you get into them and find out about all their albums.

Me, I'm a casual Aerosmith fan. I haven't heard any of the stuff with Jimmy but now I'm at least interested.

It sounds like Jimmy should have been famous in his own right, and kudos to him for being out there and doing something.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Slayer wrote: How the fuck would you have been exposed to Crespo?
Two older brothers. :D :D :D I'm 39. My brothers are 46 and 43.
I remember the days when they brought home incredible albums (ie.- Queen"News Of The World", AC/DC "If You Want Blood", Van Halen 1, etc...)
I would watch them practice with their bands while they played Ozzy, April Wine , Utopia, Uriah Heep, Pat Travers,Thin Lizzy, etc.... They would even let me play and sing at times. I would also try to stay up late with them to watch The Midnight Special and shows like it. COOL !!!

NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

poserboy71 wrote:
Slayer wrote: How the fuck would you have been exposed to Crespo?
Two older brothers. :D :D :D I'm 39. My brothers are 46 and 43.
I remember the days when they brought home incredible albums (ie.- Queen"News Of The World", AC/DC "If You Want Blood", Van Halen 1, etc...)
I would watch them practice with their bands while they played Ozzy, April Wine , Utopia, Uriah Heep, Pat Travers,Thin Lizzy, etc.... They would even let me play and sing at times. I would also try to stay up late with them to watch The Midnight Special and shows like it. COOL !!!
There you go! Your eldest brother is just about my age and this totally makes sense now. I think that is totally cool.

Vic, I agree with you you that now that we are 35 years old or older it doesn't make too big a difference but if you were 43 to 50 years old and a casual Aerosmith Fan you might have heard of Jimmy Crespo before now? He played on 2 tours and one Aerosmith Album while Perry and Whitford were both doing their own thing. It's my feeling that though he is a good player I don't feel that he is very well known at all.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Sorry Kev, I worded that a bit funny. I have heard of Jimmy Crespo being in Aerosmith, and the whole thing with Joe doing his own thing etc. I just haven't heard any of the music they made. I haven't heard a lot of Aerosmith stuff, as I'm just not that big of a fan of them.

I think that much like the casual Kiss fan, who hasn't heard LIU and thinks "who is this Vinnie guy, he must be crap, Ace cannot be replaced", I was thinking similar things about Aerosmith with Jimmy. I had never heard of him before and my desire to hear him with Aerosmith was not great at all.

Now, I am intrigued to hear he's a top muso, much like Vinnie was when he injected Kiss with power and passion. The difference is that LIU was a good album for Kiss but Aerosmith with Jimmy didn't work as well?

Too bad for both Aerosmith and Jimmy. Perception can be a killer.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

The thing is Crespo and Vinnie were victims of the times. The early 1980's was not too kind to the bands I love.
Crespo started his tenure with Aerosmith by playing a bit on "Night In The Ruts", then basically wrote the entire "Rock In A Hard Place" album. It was definitely a classic sounding Aerosmith album.

Like Crespo, Vinnie started his tenure by playing a bit on "C.O.T.N." then he basically wrote their entire next album that propelled Kiss back into the mainstream.

Like I said before ,this was a pivotal time in my wanting to play guitar and I clung to certain bands, albums, and members.

Vinnie and Crespo gave their genius to a crowd that had grown tired of the bands they had joined. Now those albums are considered CLASSIC and are largely championed by the fanbase that returned to those bands. There are only a few of us that have always been there for these bands and it's members. Some members still appreciate that in a fan: LOYALTY.

NEWBEGINNINGS
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Kevin, Thanks for posting that clip of Jimmy playing Bach. I have never seen that. What a master of the instrument. EFFORTLESS.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, that video was great, Jimmy is a top player. I loved the Bach playing and then it kicked into regular rock guitar, with the bends and vibrato. Tasty, tasty stuff.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Great topic Rick and Vic.
When Vinnie discussions run the course or hit a wall this can easily transform into a guitarist forum. There are so many great players out there that are so thankful for their fan base. Many would lose a finger to have the fan base that Vinnie has.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It can get quiet, but the Vinnie forums live on Kev. Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of the VVFF. :D :D :D

Vinnie is lucky as well that Kiss fans are as loyal and committed as they are. I should know, I was one of them and I was OBSESSED with Kiss. Kiss are still great, but they ain't no VVI.
wolfgang161272

Post by wolfgang161272 »

Slayer wrote:Great topic Rick and Vic.
When Vinnie discussions run the course or hit a wall this can easily transform into a guitarist forum. There are so many great players out there that are so thankful for their fan base. Many would lose a finger to have the fan base that Vinnie has.
That's totally correct!!!!!!!!!
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Post by strangeways »

I thought Rock in a Hard Place was a decent enough effort.
"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Jimmy would've fit right into KISS: