Crocodile Dundee

Discuss other bands we like
GOLD5

Crocodile Dundee

Post by GOLD5 »

Hey there, I just had a question for the Australians.. Crocodile Dundee was really popular in the US (and therefore Canada), but they re-did a bunch of the audio so that all the Australian slang words are taken out and replaced with easier to understand terms. Its come out on Bluray now. I was just wondering, in Australia does the dvd of it have the original audio or does everyone in the world have the American version? I wouldnt mind seeing the Aussie version, I could see a bunch of instances from reading their lips where they had said different things. In one scene they say someone is a sticky beak and the audio says nosy or whatever.. Were the movies popular in Australia? Or did you guys kind of dislike the stereotyping like the way Swedish people dont like the Swedish Chef from the Muppets?
Do foreign people still say 'Thats not a knife, this is a knife..' when they meet you? :D
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Crocodile Dundee

Post by Genebaby »

I still say the "that's not a knife" line.

The film was massive here, ran in theatres forever.

I'm sure an Australian region disc would have original audio, I didn't know they changed it.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
birnie

Post by birnie »

The knife line is still repeated yes indeed!
It was hugely popular as Vic already said.

I still watch it if it's doing a rerun, it's pretty funny.
Very typical of an Aussie movie but certainly not typical of real Aussie life.

Do Swedish people really not like the Swedish chef?
He's freegan halarious !

Isn't there a New Zealand fish thrower?
So stupid just thinking about. Love it !
GOLD5

Post by GOLD5 »

Oh yeah the fish thrower guy was hilarious! At least they didnt make him a black guy ;)
I wasnt sure if the film was popular with Australians. For us its a movie about a cool Aussie guy, but for you, every Australian movie is about an Aussie guy, right? So for you its a movie about an Aussie coming to America where everyone is cold and distant. I feel the same as Paul Hogan whenever I go to Toronto, Im walking downtown and I cant help saying hi to some people as they walk by me. Its weird walking around ignoring everyone like a robot..
The movie made Fosters Lager a household name here too. I went to a couple of concerts like Kim Mitchell that were sponsored by Fosters.
I guess Swedes like to think of themselves as less spastic than Swedish Chef, lol!! I love that Swedish band, The Sounds. The lead singer Maja Ivarrson is completely hot :)
Yes they definitely changed the audio and quite a bit of it too. I had a book called Wallabys Words and something, that told about a lot of Aussie terminology, so I could tell what they were really saying from their lips as long as the actor is facing the camera. I'll def have to track down an Australian pressing sometime..
I read recently that Mel Gibson had to stop the American film company from releasing posters for his movie Payback that said 'Root for the bad guy' in Australia, lol
Its funny that he was the only person that caught it.. College grads these days dont know squat I guess.

Time to throw another shrimp on the barbie?
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

We don't say shrimp actually, we say prawn. A shrimp is a small prawn you'd find in something like fried rice, while a prawn is the larger one that would be in a seafood meal. In the US, shrimp is used far all prawn types. Hoges said "shrimp on the barbie" for an American target audience.

"Don't come the raw prawn with me", is an Aussie meaning don't talk shit!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(