Who was Ozzy's best guitarist right after randy passed?

Discuss other bands we like

who was ozzy's best guitarist post randy rhoads?

Pat Travers
No votes
Bernie Torme
18%
Brad Gillis
82%

Total votes: 11

AceAlive1

Who was Ozzy's best guitarist right after randy passed?

Post by AceAlive1 »

who did the better job learning the material?

i wasnt born until mid summer that year so im leaning heavily on you older rock fans as some of you might have went to see ozzy in 1982
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Who was Ozzy's best guitarist right after randy passed?

Post by Genebaby »

I totally wish I saw Ozzy back then. I saw him in 98, when we did not know for sure who would be playing, Holmes or Wylde. We got Zakk, but at least he was not the unwashed Viking he would later become.

Joe Holmes did probably do the closest job, but I was happy with Jake and Zakk.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

Genebaby wrote:I totally wish I saw Ozzy back then. I saw him in 98, when we did not know for sure who would be playing, Holmes or Wylde. We got Zakk, but at least he was not the unwashed Viking he would later become.

Joe Holmes did probably do the closest job, but I was happy with Jake and Zakk.

LOL zakk needs help. the whole biker gimmick is tired and people know its not him.

when he first joined, he looked like he was spit from the 80's metal movement
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I was a tech for The Deadlights on Ozzfest 2000. Joe was Ozzy's guitarist on that tour.
I watched him a lot from the front row. He was a very cool guy and he had a good flow/smoothness to his playing although I will say that it seemed he played AHEAD of the beat .
I just went to Youtube and his playing is AWESOME so it must have been where I chose to stand during those shows.
I remember delivering one of his Les Pauls to the dressing room after a show and wondering why he didn't play the fucking thing on stage . It was his bus guitar.
He used those copper Hot Licks guitar picks.
[youtube][/youtube]

I love Brad Gillis in Ozzy's band and wish that he played on a studio album ... [youtube][/youtube]

...BUT the best guitarist for Ozzy besides Randy IS JAKE E. LEE !!!!
Jake had more similarities within his with Randy than most people realize.

I was really happy to know that Sharon actually tried to get Jake back in the band about a decade ago but Jake turned them down. Happy for Jake . Sad for me.
[youtube][/youtube]
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Jake e Lee. Don't know the others.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Jake was fantastic on Bark At The Moon and tour. That live show on video is great. The Ultimate Sin was too watered down.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Putting Pat Travers on the list is like putting George Lynch on it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NEWBEGINNINGS
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

poserboy71 wrote:Putting Pat Travers on the list is like putting George Lynch on it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

well he did indeed play ozzy's first show immediately after randy passed.

little known fact really.

another fact people dont know is sammy hagar can play guitar better than most lead players today
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Can still sing like a mutha too! Though Chickenfoot is pretty boring!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

AceAlive1 wrote:
poserboy71 wrote:Putting Pat Travers on the list is like putting George Lynch on it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

another fact people dont know is sammy hagar can play guitar better than most lead players today
Sure and GL played with Ozzy for a few weeks...

NEWBEGINNINGS
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

poserboy71 wrote:
AceAlive1 wrote:

Sure and GL played with Ozzy for a few weeks...

oh i forgot you're the all knowing being :lol:

what's the spread on the 2019 superbowl?
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

AceAlive1 wrote:

Your Mom ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Yes, I am all knowing . Ask KMA !!!! :P :P :P :P

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

He's from Ohio! Of course he knows everything!!! :P :P :P :D :D :D
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

poserboy71 wrote:
AceAlive1 wrote:

i thought it was your mom...with the mailman? :lol:
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

You know I'm a Pat Travers Fan but in my humble opinion he would have never been a good match for Ozzy Osbourne. That was a position for a Hall of Fame Rock Guitar Player. Pat is a great rhythm player but on his albums over many years the best guitar solo's were often not played by him but a hired gun like Pat Thrall, Jerry Riggs and others. Pat is a good blues player but not in the same league as all the flashy rock players that played in the Ozzy Osbourne Band

[youtube][/youtube]
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

AceAlive1 wrote:
poserboy71 wrote:
AceAlive1 wrote:

i thought it was your mom...with the mailman? :lol:
I was a mailman...HMMMmmmmm :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NEWBEGINNINGS
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

Slayer wrote:You know I'm a Pat Travers Fan but in my humble opinion he would have never been a good match for Ozzy Osbourne. That was a position for a Hall of Fame Rock Guitar Player. Pat is a great rhythm player but on his albums over many years the best guitar solo's were often not played by him but a hired gun like Pat Thrall, Jerry Riggs and others. Pat is a good blues player but not in the same league as all the flashy rock players that played in the Ozzy Osbourne Band

[youtube][/youtube]

i thought the same thing about bernie torme until i heard a bootleg from the ozzy MSG show.

the guy could do wonders with a fender.

i asked a handful of people "in the know" about the travers rumor and apparently they've corrected me and said it was in fact a long standing rumor...but then 2 others said they vivdly remember pat playing the festival show.

we'll never know i guess since they didnt keep real good records of that tour for reasons unknown until after randy died.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

AA1,
That is interesting stuff. I had to sit out on the Bernie Torme topic as I'm not familiar with his playing. I imagine Pat Travers being in "Guitar Hell" trying to play Randy Rhoads Solos. So much so that I can imagine him doing his own thing completely which at times might be cool but often might have changed the vibe of the songs so greatly as to not satisfy the Ozzy Fans.

Great Post!

Kev
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

Slayer wrote:AA1,
That is interesting stuff. I had to sit out on the Bernie Torme topic as I'm not familiar with his playing. I imagine Pat Travers being in "Guitar Hell" trying to play Randy Rhoads Solos. So much so that I can imagine him doing his own thing completely which at times might be cool but often might have changed the vibe of the songs so greatly as to not satisfy the Ozzy Fans.

Great Post!

Kev

brad gillis veered way off course and "did his own thing" like u mentioned and people said he did better than bernie which puzzles me.

and brad had over a month to learn the material before he even got the gig

thanks for the compliment on the post!!!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Is that concert with Bernie good sound? I read an interview with him about it where he said he wasn't comfortable with the situation or the songs from memory, but he helped save the day.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

AceAlive1 wrote:

Great Post!

Kev

brad gillis veered way off course and "did his own thing" like u mentioned and people said he did better than bernie which puzzles me.

and brad had over a month to learn the material before he even got the gig

thanks for the compliment on the post!!!
Yes he did in some ways and in some ways he played semi faithfully to Randy. Here we go though in my opinion Brad Gillis is one of the those "Rock Hall of Fame Guitarists" I think that he could probably teach a Floyd Rose Master Class LOL :-) Again, I'm not qualified to speak about Bernie.

To me here is a few examples of what we are talking about. He plays semi-faithfully to the song so that it is recognizable while still greatly injecting his own style. I think Brad shreds the walls down here :-)

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

To summarize I would much prefer Randy Rhoads but in his absence I think Brad Gillis is great here while still making parts of these solos his own. Going back to Pat Travers I imagine that he would be far less faithful to Randy and would inject a blues style that wouldn't fit this early 1980's Neo-Rock.

I respect what your saying AA1

Kev
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Brad WAS fantastic in those vids. Over The Mountain was nearly the same as Randy's! Knowing that he was getting the finger and spat at, makes Brad even more impressive.

Watching Ozzy's obvious overdubs..................that's a different story!
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

funny think about the lazers that say "ozzy" is that they werent on the tour. they were "added in" later before the vhs was released :lol:

brad is great, but lets play role reversal here......

what if brad got called first and bernie was the one who got called much later and didnt have to use randy's (by all accounts) haunted pedal board?

here's the only known public audio recordings of bernie with ozzy. im very sure there are more just like there are tons of randy shows on FILM out there but no one wants to sell to sharon.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

not bad for a guy with about a week to learn the stuff on his own. especially flying high again. he went off on his own a bit but got the key points of the solo everyone remembers
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Yeah Bernie did alright and he was under a lot of pressure as well.

Ozzy should have got Vai to do it! That "freak" would have learnt it all in a day like he did with the Alcatrazz show!!!!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

AA1,
Thanks a million for the share! That's is the 1st that I have ever heard Berne Torme and I think that he is a fine player and your samples have made me intrigued to search for more. Thank you for that! Being that this topic is over 30 years old if I knew about Berne or Pat being associated with Ozzy after Randy died I have forgotten it over the course of 30 + years. I remember George Lynch trying out for the gig and remember Brad getting the gig. For years I ignorantly thought that Brad sucked in this assignment because honestly I had only heard his recordings of the old Black Sabbath Songs from Speak of the Devil which didn't inspire me. About 10 years ago I picked up a DVD Burn of Speak of the Devil off Ebay and heard his Randy Rhoads adaptations for the first time and really like those. I can't believe that I never heard these for 20 years after they were recorded because I certainly had my chances before then LOL :-) I have no debate if you feel that Berne learned the solo's better than Brad and the reality is in life people like what they like. I remember in the 80's getting in knock down drag out debates with guitar friends about who was better Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Tony McAlpine, Vinnie Moore or Joey Tafolla etc. When these guys are all that good it really comes down to personal preference and there is no proving a winner in that pissing match.
To piggyback this general topic I would have to say that I think that really all the players that followed these guys - Jake, Zack, Joe, Alex and Gus all played the Randy Material more authentically than either Brad or Bernie

This has proven to be an insightful topic after over 30 years and I thank you for starting this up because it has been entertaining, recognizant and educational.

Kev

Here is an article that fits nicely with this topic

Mia, si prega di utilizzare cazzo di Da ... o :-) noci
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

Thanks a million for the share! That's is the 1st that I have ever heard Berne Torme and I think that he is a fine player and your samples have made me intrigued to search for more. Thank you for that! Being that this topic is over 30 years old if I knew about Berne or Pat being associated with Ozzy after Randy died I have forgotten it over the course of 30 + years. I remember George Lynch trying out for the gig and remember Brad getting the gig. For years I ignorantly thought that Brad sucked in this assignment because honestly I had only heard his recordings of the old Black Sabbath Songs from Speak of the Devil which didn't inspire me. About 10 years ago I picked up a DVD Burn of Speak of the Devil off Ebay and heard his Randy Rhoads adaptations for the first time and really like those. I can't believe that I never heard these for 20 years after they were recorded because I certainly had my chances before then LOL :-) I have no debate if you feel that Berne learned the solo's better than Brad and the reality is in life people like what they like. I remember in the 80's getting in knock down drag out debates with guitar friends about who was better Paul Gilbert, Greg Howe, Tony McAlpine, Vinnie Moore or Joey Tafolla etc. When these guys are all that good it really comes down to personal preference and there is no proving a winner in that pissing match.
To piggyback this general topic I would have to say that I think that really all the players that followed these guys - Jake, Zack, Joe, Alex and Gus all played the Randy Material more authentically than either Brad or Bernie

This has proven to be an insightful topic after over 30 years and I thank you for starting this up because it has been entertaining, recognizant and educational.

Kev

Here is an article that fits nicely with this topic

Mia, si prega di utilizzare cazzo di Da ... o :-) noci

no prob,glad to share.

im sure if u search some torrent sites for ozzy discography that you might find some live recordings after randy and before jake.

i think literally the reason why bernie didnt get the gig for good was the fact he played too much like randy.

the last thing ozzy needed at that point on a nightly basis was to see a short blonde guy on his left who wasnt randy.

he was already suicidial enough so much that they didnt take much of a break after randy passed on.

they had another guitarist in the late 90's (joe holmes) who had to hide the fact he was trained by randy and even went so far as to use a fender or something close so he wouldnt be a dead give away by using something like a les paul....etc etc.

oh one more thing...

the official sanctioned randy rhoads tribute band....ran by kelle rhoads

Rhoads To Ozz.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

as if this wasnt a bigger sign ozzy is scared to death of having people in his band that play like randy......they had an audition before hiring gus g and passed on this guy

the guy on guitar? guess what his name is...
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

AceAlive1 wrote: the guy on guitar? guess what his name is...
Philbert???? :P :P :P

You'd think they'd get the bass player to wear a wig and play a Fender Precision so he'd look more like Bob! Get the drummer to grow a beard too! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

They do a very good job of it though. 8) 8) 8)
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

shramiac wrote:

You'd think they'd get the bass player to wear a wig and play a Fender Precision so he'd look more like Bob! Get the drummer to grow a beard too! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LOL nah. its randy. and apparently kelle handpicked him...they replaced him and people went apeshit so he came back to the band.

he doesnt look like randy, but when he got his hair dyed and did up like randy....it was very eerie to see him playing because he's built just like the guy.

look at osme of the other videos besides what i posted and he even plays the little filler notes in the style of randy rhoads. its the scariest shit in the world, i shouldnt know what randy sounded like live because i wasnt born when he passed but the youtube comments dont lie. people who were lucky enough to see randy say its him in another body
VVWarrior82

Post by VVWarrior82 »

Brad Gillis, he was great on the Speak Of The Devil tour. Too bad he never got to record a studio album with Ozzy, great guitar player. Best guitarist he had after Diary is without a doubt Jake E. Lee though.
AlanF

Post by AlanF »

Im not a fan of many Ozzy guitarists other than Randy, but I do think Zakk is the best hes had since March '82.
Fatlip

Post by Fatlip »

AceAlive1 wrote: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:31 am who did the better job learning the material?

i wasnt born until mid summer that year so im leaning heavily on you older rock fans as some of you might have went to see ozzy in 1982
Joe Holmes all the way as best guitarist.

Brad sounded awesome..he used mesa boogies with v30s and ev speakers, btw All ozzys guitarists have speakers mixed with v30s to match what the sound guys are using stage wise, bernie had to use randy’s rig until randy’s mom started making legal threats, then he left with the rig then brad replaced him..but Randy did not choose altec speakers or even knew how to fix his pedal board which was glued together inside with epoxy (all with asymmetrical clipping diodes, orange cap too) as he puched his plexi heads to the limit with vol-dist+and a eq., zack certainly had no clue or knows why ev speakers ended up in his cabs, his agreement is to fill in as a performer., ill explain.

Jake told people two producers found recordings randy made on his roland tape echo and a echo plex, these where used as riffs for bark at the moon, the rest no one knows where Ozzy got the material but Jake helped sort it out arrangement wise while Bob wrote lyrics again…sucker trapped., the over the period jake played with Ozzy he wrote music which ozzy was working on with producers on the side, i used to visit Vinny Vincent at the guitar shop on 48street and i remember mentioning that i got the gig with ozzy (doesnt matter who iam am as im prob one of 20 guys) but ozzy told a bon jovi style guitarists in jersey he got the gig as well, i went to meet this guy named zack after hearing he was taking lessons at guitar center new jersey, all i had to do was tell someone in the store who asked what band i was in that i played with “ozzy” and boom, they said someone taking lessons there also got the gig, whats up?

After meeting rich kid zack i learned that he was learning old pzy songs and songs jake wrote that where not released, meaning in the studio using the lee jackson metatronix rack…the guitars where worked out and ozzy was pissed john sykes wanted a contract and no bs talk, nothing like tons of money which is lies., bob daisly told randy and later jake and john the same thing which was ozzy told a few blokes they got the gig, even after meeting randy the first time and returning to the uk from america., so whats up with ozzy? Lol he thought maybe he got a few joints out of it but its like that. He just says nice things to win people and see what they will offer i guess.

So i then find out all zack had to do is learn the jakes songs, agree to play for free so ozzy can fire jake but zack had no style no tone…ozzy did not care, looks mattered in 1987 and zack was into bon jovi, zack did jovi covers, jersey jewish culture trash, so after Sykes refused to return ozzys calls until a clear contract was laid out ozzy bribed kieth oslen who worked with Sykes to bring back the amp he used for his audition and on the white snake record, maybe one of these posers can play some of the tracks..Kieth did just that and showed zack the piggy squeels as ozzy wanted that live randy rhoads plexi feel with chorus pedal effect randy had (cause his pedal board would get stuck some times), as soon as zack played jakes songs, ozzy fired jake and the previous producer, zack claims he did not do as good as a job getting him a sound and style…voila, ozzy, kept all the credits again and publishing thanks to zack who plays for free, slaps his name on everything randy and jake created such as pedals, speakers, even the tone john sykes had on white snake zack calls his own in the same paragraph 😂 https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/za ... est-wicked

zack basically helped ozzy scam good musicians out of copyright and performance royalties, all he had to do is find another con artists to agree to creating an argument incase he was sued, its very hard to sue if zack claimed he wrote something jake was not even around to hear what ozzy added, let alone kieth re arranged the songs too, its like the first two records, ozzy fired the producer and instead credited his assistant max norman who had zero credits, until everyone he claimed to of met died, max recorded two records almost back to back with randy,, cause they feared someone would change the dials, but with kieth it was worse, a year before he passed he told people he played guitar on all the tracks credited to zack..zack barley played anything or atleast later learned the songs,

…so based on how ozzy fires, lies about credits, its no wonder people think randy was murdered as his family knew he was punched in the face and threatened by ozzy for refusing to play on speak of the devil or Sabbath cover record., and its what i said, kieth told people a year prior to his death that he played guitars on two records worth of material, maybe zack added a few tracks but he contributed to zero originality.

I love zack now with out ozzy, amazing..but did he write any of that material, he certainly did not write pantera and he was caught calling it a reunion, he dissed darrel who had the heart to tell zack he was insecure, grow a beard and hide the double chin, your fine.

And vinny, man oh man my heart goes out to you and your family, i know un fairness was done.
Fatlip

Post by Fatlip »

AceAlive1 wrote: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:16 pm
shramiac wrote:

LOL nah. its randy. and apparently kelle handpicked him...they replaced him and people went apeshit so he came back to the band.
I met randy through my older bro who took me to concerts in new york, but we met out to eat with his dad and half bros, not good, negative vibes, his dad kept saying just stick with this until you finish then look for better opportunities, the half bros are my age, they later told me about ozzy been jealous, randy had too much say and influence on the fans live, he made a name so quick and did what bob advised him to do which is be irreplaceable, randy told me to stay in school, especially the conservatory cause i wont have time to do such things later, he was dead serious, he said both of his parents although separated teach music and there is a lifetime of material to learn about the guitar, i was like ok. I thought ozzy will be at the diner Resturant etc, he was like ozzy is not a musician but maybe another time…i also heard ozzy was always checking put guitarists before randy died, some how randys bros think the incident was no accident.

.i know don airy was the person who lied to randy, told him it was safe to get-on a plane grounded for more then a year after failing inspections, iwas with him and lisa leeds, who worked with ross holfman and also mark wise, aka groupie, don came back to new york the same day randy was killed, with the photos of him on the plane showing the pilot appeared to of passed out and randys head clearly trying to stir the plane, blury though, he also took photos of the incident after and there was no imploded fire, he heard people crying for help, i asked about it weeks later and liza claimed someone stole the photos while she was out eating with don in new york (behind his wife’s back of course).

Would be great if randys brothers spoke out about this, i was called a liar and told randy had no bros, his dad left him and he lives in the west coast, not nice, i was treated nasty about randy, called a dime a dozen, that don dokken etc are better, i met eddie and alex while living in sunset blv the valley we shopped at the same supermarket, eddie was upset randy created a new brand of guitar style from his bit alex and him both insisted it would happen sooner or later, then i visited vinny at the music store district when eddie had work on his guitar and eddie in no way was jealous and if anything suspicious about the plane incident even willing to pay to get the truth..
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Hi Fatlip,

Thanks for posting. It seems you have a lot of information. It would be great if you could introduce yourself and share more of your knowledge.

Vic
Fatlip

Post by Fatlip »

I tell yah yah its not safe with the Osbournes, iam certain tons of info will come raining out of those skeletons in ozzys closet as soon as one of them pass away, Vinny Vincent could of been ozzys best after Rhoads infact it was meant to be that but somehow we ended up in a very awkward dimension dimension.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Could you tell us more about yourself maybe?