Motley Crue

Discuss other bands we like
KissMyAss

Motley Crue

Post by KissMyAss »

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Live life as though it is the third law; "to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Rules apply whether we are cognizant of them or oblivious.
mrblitz

Re: Motley Crue

Post by mrblitz »

apparently, this us fest '83 gig was a near-disaster, but the energy they brought was impressive:

[youtube][/youtube]
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

How do you mean a near disaster? I have never noticed anything wrong with it. Was there some behind the scenes stuff?

The Crüe debuted their new look and songs, Ozzu debuted his new guitarist. Priest rocked. A cool show.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

yeah, Tommy said in The Dirt that he went backstage and cried after the US Fest gig because they all thought it sucked so bad... technical problems, shit sound, etc. I thought it kicked ass in a raw punkish kinda way, even though I've never been a big fan of Vince's voice. Plus they looked cool as shit:

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It's been so long since I read it I don't remember that part of The Dirt.

The main thing I took from that book is that rock stars can make phone calls from vaginas.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

The only questionable thing about the show was how GREEN Vince was. He is always looking over his shoulder , almost asking, "What do I do next ? "

That being said, I LOVE THIS SHOW !!!!
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

for me mick mars should have been in kiss. he had the attitude. if not vinnie mick would have been my choice.
Bye Bye
mrblitz

Post by mrblitz »

i love this show, too.

it was shocking to hear later, that maybe band didn't like it. (the story of tommy crying and all)

regardless of any of that, the energy is just so, 'there'.

it seems like maybe there are two videos of this floating around; 1 with all of the vocal problems (vocals dropping in and out), and another with the vocals 'fixed' so they are present 'all the time'.

i'd first heard the version with 'vocals dropping out', and thought it was vince's mic technique; but repeated listenings seemed to indicate a problem with the p.a. then i happened upon another version where the vocals were 'always present' so it seemed like someone had adjusted the recording somehow.

agreed, that mick would have been good in kiss.
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Mick " Mars"... his name even works for the Spaceman or Wizard characters. Plus he's very blues-based and raw much like Ace. :)
ankh

Post by ankh »

according to Enfer magazine,kiss ask him-and Kack starr- to replace V.They both refused.Strum was offered 5000 to find the right replacement, and suggested Kevin Carlson(rhtym guitar on Aldo Nova's band).it didn't work out.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Mick and paul may have been a tough combo.
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

I always thought vinnie looked alot like mick and mick looked alot like blackie lawless... but blackie looks nothing like vinnie?

weird how that works.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yeah.
I think that even chris holmes would have worked.
Kiss would be better with some crazy character than these session type of players they had since vinnie.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Lynch would have been great too if he had been able to have some freedom.
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

doublev2 wrote:Yeah.
I think that even chris holmes would have worked.

No way would Gene allow a 6'6" guitarist in Kiss. I'm surprised Gene allowed 6'3" Bruce in the band seeing that he was around an inch taller than Gene...
5minLuvKills

Post by 5minLuvKills »

doublev2 wrote:Lynch would have been great too if he had been able to have some freedom.
Lynch is amazing but I don't see him as a good fit for Kiss...then again if he would have been given the freedom like you said I guess I could see it working. I just feel bad for him and the rest of the band he was in in the 80s that they had to deal with a singer whose LSD was /is as bad as Axl Rose's
Rock and Roll is my RELIGION and my LAW
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Funny he was always made out to be the difficult one but if you see them now lynch is real nice and together unlike don.
Lynch and Cusano best two of the 80s in my opinion.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Rhoads, DeMartini, Jabbs and Hannon are my picks of the 80's just quickly. Never got into Lynch or Dokken, never could get into them.
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Cusano, Paul Gilbert, Harry K. Cody, John Sykes, Shoyo from EZO... some of my faves
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Vinnie, Rhoads, Lynch, Vai, Eddie and Pablo Gilberto for me, with a dash of that Swedish guy! :) Followed by Marty and Petrucci in the early 90s! And I've been stuck in that rut ever since!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
metatron

Post by metatron »

Let's not forget Jason Becker. (Funny, Paul & Gene had a problem with shred guitars upstaging them, where as DLR embraced it, even encouraged it)
[youtube][/youtube]
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
5minLuvKills

Post by 5minLuvKills »

Back to Motley...

I liked Generation Swine. Easily in my top 5 Motley albums...maybe top 3 (the first 2 albums are obviously top 2)

[youtube][/youtube]
mrblitz

Post by mrblitz »

yeah, the 1st 2 albums... great stuff.
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

mrblitz wrote:yeah, the 1st 2 albums... great stuff.
Yes, those first two Crue albums just hit a chord with me as a kid... the sound, the image, the vibe... everything. After Shout I could take them or leave them.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

PinkWiz wrote:
mrblitz wrote:yeah, the 1st 2 albums... great stuff.
Yes, those first two Crue albums just hit a chord with me as a kid... the sound, the image, the vibe... everything. After Shout I could take them or leave them.
Amen... except for MC 94. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

NEWBEGINNINGS
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

poserboy71 wrote: Amen... except for MC 94. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

:oops:
Yes... how could I fukn forget MC94? That album and Corabi fukn kicked ass! Droppin' Like Flies is badass... and Mars was a beast on that record.
5minLuvKills

Post by 5minLuvKills »

Vince Neil is a great frontman but Corabi is a far better musician/songwriter/singer. If Vince had quit the band/been fired/whatever in '89 who knows what would have happened...Corabi was doomed from the get go...maybe a better way to say it is if that album had been released in '89...

Still for my money..

1. Shout At The Devil
2, Too Fast For Love
3. Generation Swine
4. Saints of Los Angeles
5. Motley Crue (94)...I think it's a great album as well :wink:
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I love the MC94 album. Power To The Music is one of my favorite songs of all time. Tommy absolutely kills me with his drumming on that song. However, Corabi sounds great on record and writes great tunes but he sounds shitty live and is a terrible front man. If anyone has seen the UNION LIVE DVD, there is a reason that band failed. That band's live show could've put a 13 year old hopped up on speed to sleep by the third song. (Union's first album is also one of my faves.)
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Yep, You are correct about Corabi being a not -so-good frontman.
What I find interesting is how many people think Vince is actually a good frontman. He always looks lost and isn't the greatest with in between song banter.

NEWBEGINNINGS
erg2

Post by erg2 »

And Vince only sings 75% of the words anymore...
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
5minLuvKills

Post by 5minLuvKills »

So does DLR...I saw them on their newest tour and DLR completely forgot the last verse of I'll Wait and he completely owned up to it! :D It was awesome...he said hurry quick to the chorus everyone! :lol: I laughed my ass off. One of the reasons to me DLR is probably the greatest frontman of all time. To me a good frontman is someone who commands the stage not someone who knows all the words or can even sing in key which Vince has problems doing at times.

Paul is a good frontman as well but I will say his schtick sometimes detracts from it...because it sounds so forced...not off the cuff...still he commands the stage/has great stage presence
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

You'd be surprised how much of that stuff isn't off the cuff from DLR. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
He is still awesome and the best though !!!!

NEWBEGINNINGS
erg2

Post by erg2 »

DLR is still awesome. Paul...not as much.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

5minLuvKills wrote:So does DLR...I saw them on their newest tour and DLR completely forgot the last verse of I'll Wait and he completely owned up to it! :D It was awesome...he said hurry quick to the chorus everyone! :lol: I laughed my ass off. One of the reasons to me DLR is probably the greatest frontman of all time. To me a good frontman is someone who commands the stage not someone who knows all the words or can even sing in key which Vince has problems doing at times.

Paul is a good frontman as well but I will say his schtick sometimes detracts from it...because it sounds so forced...not off the cuff...still he commands the stage/has great stage presence
i had tix to see VH in july of thsi year.......im glad it was cancelled...i cannot for the life of me figure out how i'd sit thru 3 hours of dave singing some of the words and being a step behind as well as ad libbing shit that doesnt belong on the song while he's at it.

saw tour vids from this tour and it was the same as when people said they came here in 1984 "well, the music sounded good"
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I love DLR's schtick.

NEWBEGINNINGS
5minLuvKills

Post by 5minLuvKills »

AceAlive1 wrote:
5minLuvKills wrote:So does DLR...I saw them on their newest tour and DLR completely forgot the last verse of I'll Wait and he completely owned up to it! :D It was awesome...he said hurry quick to the chorus everyone! :lol: I laughed my ass off. One of the reasons to me DLR is probably the greatest frontman of all time. To me a good frontman is someone who commands the stage not someone who knows all the words or can even sing in key which Vince has problems doing at times.

i had tix to see VH in july of thsi year.......im glad it was cancelled...i cannot for the life of me figure out how i'd sit thru 3 hours of dave singing some of the words and being a step behind as well as ad libbing shit that doesnt belong on the song while he's at it.

saw tour vids from this tour and it was the same as when people said they came here in 1984 "well, the music sounded good"
To each his own I guess. For me it personalized the show.Compare a typical Paul Stage rap in where he makes up a ridiculous story that doesn't even make logical sense...
[youtube][/youtube]
ummm...Paul that never happened. He was pumping up the crowd (and doing a good job I would've been with him) but the "story" he tells...well all I can say is I'd love to see a movie in where people talk to each other like that because it would be hilarious "Listen up man 'cause these are Crazy, Crazy Nights"?!?!?!...ok whatever Paul :roll: :lol:
For DLR it is just as planned but you feel he's in the moment with you...or at least I do
[youtube][/youtube]
(go to the 7:15 mark for Romeos Delight in particular...this ain't my first time in Louisville, I got a checkered past here :twisted: that is fuckin AWESOME if you are there, in that arena, who cares about the verse at that point)
does he sing all the words? no but if you don't know all these songs by heart then why are you here? Like Runnin with the Devil are you really wondering what words he was missing...turn to your neighbor they will be singing it at the top of their lungs
erg2 wrote:DLR is still awesome. Paul...not as much.
Yeah I think these two vids give examples as to what you are saying...not saying Paul is bad and he is far from the worst frontman...but he is nowhere near as good as DLR
poserboy71 wrote:You'd be surprised how much of that stuff isn't off the cuff from DLR. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
poserboy71 wrote:I love DLR's schtick.
:D :wink: Yeah don't get me wrong I know a lot of it is planned/prepared but it doesn't sound like it is that's what makes DLR awesome
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Paul was once great. Just look at the KISSTORY sets. I think DLR took cues from Paul's shtick but added a vaudeville element. DLR hasn't fallen anywhere near as far as Paul.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

DLR IS THE GREATEST FRONTMAN EVER !!!!

NEWBEGINNINGS
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

5minLuvKills wrote:
AceAlive1 wrote:

To each his own I guess. For me it personalized the show.Compare a typical Paul Stage rap in where he makes up a ridiculous story that doesn't even make logical sense...
[youtube][/youtube]
ummm...Paul that never happened. He was pumping up the crowd (and doing a good job I would've been with him) but the "story" he tells...well all I can say is I'd love to see a movie in where people talk to each other like that because it would be hilarious "Listen up man 'cause these are Crazy, Crazy Nights"?!?!?!...ok whatever Paul :roll: :lol:
For DLR it is just as planned but you feel he's in the moment with you...or at least I do
[youtube][/youtube]
(go to the 7:15 mark for Romeos Delight in particular...this ain't my first time in Louisville, I got a checkered past here :twisted: that is fuckin AWESOME if you are there, in that arena, who cares about the verse at that point)
does he sing all the words? no but if you don't know all these songs by heart then why are you here? Like Runnin with the Devil are you really wondering what words he was missing...turn to your neighbor they will be singing it at the top of their lungs
erg2 wrote:DLR is still awesome. Paul...not as much.
Yeah I think these two vids give examples as to what you are saying...not saying Paul is bad and he is far from the worst frontman...but he is nowhere near as good as DLR
poserboy71 wrote:You'd be surprised how much of that stuff isn't off the cuff from DLR. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
poserboy71 wrote:I love DLR's schtick.
:D :wink: Yeah don't get me wrong I know a lot of it is planned/prepared but it doesn't sound like it is that's what makes DLR awesome

i think you misunderstood me.... stage schtick is different from blowing the lines of a song...its like peter being 3 notes behind or stopping drumming altogether which he did quite frequently.

if im singing the song in the crowd and then i notice the singer is singing nothing that i am.....then we have a problem and i want my money back.