Shred-riffic! - other Guitarists that influenced you!

Discuss other bands we like
metatron

Shred-riffic! - other Guitarists that influenced you!

Post by metatron »

Cause I like lots of Roland gear, in the last few years I've really liked
Robert Marcello ;
[youtube][/youtube]
metatron

Post by metatron »

Rusty Cooley;

metatron

Post by metatron »

Rusty @ NAMM 2008
[youtube][/youtube]
metatron

Post by metatron »

Meet Michael Angelo twice. Very Cool guy. The first time I meet him was @ the Guitar Factory in Parramatta. There where like 10 people at the clinic, but Man , he didn't let it phase it. Total Pro, Totally nice.
Guitar World presents an exclusive tour of Michael Angelo Batio's home studio, aka "Monster Mix Studio."
[youtube][/youtube]
birnie

Post by birnie »

Noty really a shredder, but fav and one to get me to pick the guitar up was Brian May - Queen.
Such a versatile dude 8)
metatron

Post by metatron »

Yer Bernie I like him alot too. Princes of the Universe had sime pretty shreddy parts. "THERE CAN ONLY B1"
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

When I play out I think of Rick Nielsen and Joe Perry (goofy and cool) WHILE I'm playing .
Brian May, Paul Gilbert, Randy Rhoads, Brian Setzer, and of course THE Vin-man ,are other favorites.

Favorite 'SHREDDER' is Paul Gilbert. SCARY chops and an incredible personality and sense of humor and OVERALL nice human being. Vinnie take note !!
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
teej

Post by teej »

Malmsteen, Al De Meola and Paco De Lucia .. probs the best 3 guitar players out there .. Paco I think is the greatest guitarist to have graced this planet
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Add Malmsteen for me also.

NEWBEGINNINGS
metatron

Post by metatron »

Love these two songs sooooooooooooo much!
Heart of a Lion
[youtube][/youtube]
Sunlite Nights
[youtube][/youtube]
birnie

Post by birnie »

I owned 2 guitar vids in all my days.
Brian May's and Vinnie Vincent.
At least i could actually play stuff off Brians...and i have a scare on my finger from learning Crazy Little Thing Called Love solo..really hurts when you're not used to bending.

Anyways.....watched this part of the video about a million times :
[youtube][/youtube]
Sandimas

Post by Sandimas »

I like so much stuff it's difficult to narrow it down, but going back to when I first started playing, about 1980 or so, it was Ritchie Blackmore all the way.

I loved the Down to Earth album, especially Graham Bonnet's vocal, and to this day I have every damn thing Bonnet ever released, whether solo or with bands. Last time I saw him was with Taz Taylor. Great album of songs although Taz is not on the same level as everyone else Bonnet has worked with.

Bonnets voice is shot too, regrettably.
metatron

Post by metatron »

[youtube][/youtube]
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Sandimas, we saw Bonnet on a Countdown Show here a few years ago and it was apparent his voice was gone. Sad stuff.

My fave guitarists are guys like: Randy Rhoads, Warren D, Frank Hannon (awesome!), Ace Frehley, Mick Mars, Angus Young, guys like that in bands I like.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Batman

Post by Batman »

Ronni Le Tekro

[youtube][/youtube]
doublev

Post by doublev »

Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Vinnie Vincent, Chet Atkins, Wes Montgomery, laurindo almeida, Carlos Paredes, Charlie Christain, Barnie Kessell, George Benson, Andy Tielman, Grant Green and most of the guys mentioned.

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
doublev

Post by doublev »

saw racer x posted. i like paul gilbert. very nice cool guy too. Did anyone know that Mark Slaughter was one of two shortlisted for the Racer X lead vocal gig back then (before VVI).

As for Michael Angelo Batio, i thought he was interesting for 2 minutes and the first nitro record was pretty original but he bores the socks off of me.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Isn't it funny how "modern" guitarists who played similar licks to the guys DV posted but used distortion were called wankers!?!? Great stuff DV, especially the last one with Lurch on the drums!!!! Can you tune a 12" tom that tight??? Ha ha
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Shred4hire

Post by Shred4hire »

@ metatron thats cool you like robert !! robert and i are great friends .. i have known him since he moved here to the usa , and when he was in iron horse .. an artists that i work with also sang back grounds on the 2 iron horse records .. and she did a duet with robert marcello an ron keel for the 1st album that was later released on rons anthology record.
i have a few pictrues on my myspace page of me and robert with D2 ..
i might be alble to find a few with me and robert from iron horse ( although i doubt it)

any how

i'm diggging
andy timmons , guthire govans
dan huff , ritchie kotzen, jake e lee lately...

cb
metatron

Post by metatron »

chris bickley wrote:@ metatron thats cool you like robert !! robert and i are great friends ..
Chris, what I've hear, your pretty amazing yourself :!: :D
metatron

Post by metatron »

chris bickley wrote:@ metatron thats cool you like robert !! robert and i are great friends ..
Chris, what I've hear, your pretty amazing yourself :!: :D. Yer Man I really into all Virtualk Modeling. Very cool. Got a VG88, Vdrum with double kicks on it. GR-1 & I just got a Godin with the built in 13 pin jack.
Yer love what Robert does, Very talented. Good on him doing those Roland presentations. He totally nailz it. Recently saw him on the packaging of the Playstation Guitar Hero for this axe. Smart guy, more power 2 him. Hope to see u soon on Playstation. :D
My next axe LOL!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

In addition to Vinnie:

George Lynch
Dave Meneketti
Steve Stevens
John Sykes
Mark St. John
Bob Kulick
Yngwie Malmsteen
Brad Gillis
Uli Jon Roth
Akira Takasaki
Harry Cody
Ed Van Halen
Randy Rhoads
Tracy G
Neil Schon
Dan Huff
Jon Levin
Paul Gilbert

I could go on forever

I of course like Satriani, Vai, Howe, MacAlpine, Firkins, Fath and many of those Shrapnel and GIT Guys as long as it's in smaller doses.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Slayer wrote:In addition to Vinnie:

George Lynch
Dave Meneketti
Steve Stevens
John Sykes
Mark St. John
Bob Kulick
Yngwie Malmsteen
Brad Gillis
Uli Jon Roth
Akira Takasaki
Harry Cody
Ed Van Halen
Randy Rhoads
Tracy G
Neil Schon
Dan Huff
Jon Levin
Paul Gilbert

I could go on forever

I of course like Satriani, Vai, Howe, MacAlpine, Firkins, Fath and many of those Shrapnel and GIT Guys as long as it's in smaller doses.
Yes Yes Yes,,,,what ever happened to Harry Cody
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I have to agree with Graham Bonnet,too bad he has "shredded" his throat. No human throat could contain and withstand that voice for that long. He is SUPER-HUMAN. Alcatrazz's 'No Parole ' album is sheer brilliance. Graham and Blackmore were a great combo. Blackmore has always been stellar at choosing vocalists.' Death Alley Driver' and 'Stone Cold' are two of my favorite guitar solos EVER !

As far as Shrapnel artists, obviously Racer X. The first two Vinnie Moore albums are dear to me. The Tony MacAlpine album 'Maximum Security'(George Lynch and Jeff Watson guest) is also SUPERB.

-PB71-

NEWBEGINNINGS
metatron

Post by metatron »

Love Jeff Taylor & Wade Hays work on these songs. Especially Wade Hays at 2:23mins on Scratch my back. Heard good things about Wade as a person.
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
teej

Post by teej »

I cant watch any of this shit as I'm still uploading the damn dvd .. love scratch my back .. they play it alot on glamnation radio .. which I also cant listen to as the net here is so pathetically slow
metatron

Post by metatron »

Top Gun.
[youtube][/youtube]
Vince Neil - Look in Her Eyes
[youtube][/youtube]
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Here you go the great Harry Cody!

[youtube][/youtube]
metatron

Post by metatron »

Was just watching Vince Neils Skylar's Song. Must have messed him up big time. How hard would have it been for everone. And then writting a song & making clip. Shit, don't think I could do it.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

This is one of my favorite new songs. It's a great tribute to Dio and Jorn is an amazing singer!

[youtube][/youtube]
DirtyRhythm

Post by DirtyRhythm »

metatron wrote:Love these two songs sooooooooooooo much!
Heart of a Lion
Had no idea they did Heart of a Lion...unreleased 'Priest tune eventually covered by Halford himself.

I guess this is from when Jeff & Rob were an item?

How about this guy?
[youtube][/youtube]
Nuke It, Nuke It...start over again
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

metatron wrote:Was just watching Vince Neils Skylar's Song. Must have messed him up big time. How hard would have it been for everone. And then writting a song & making clip. Shit, don't think I could do it.
No way man, I don't think I could do it. Reading about it in The Dirt was bad enough, the poor guy. Any parent that has to go through that has all my sympathy and compassion.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
metatron

Post by metatron »

DirtyRhythm wrote:How about this guy?
[youtube][/youtube]
Yer Man, I gotta say I did like Mark in KISS.
birnie

Post by birnie »

Slayer wrote:This is one of my favorite new songs. It's a great tribute to Dio and Jorn is an amazing singer!

[youtube][/youtube]
What a wierd band makeup!
Guitarist looks like Jason Newsted.
Bass player looks like Nuno Bettencourt ! (well maybe just a little bit)

Loving this thread though.
Heaps of bands never heard of,

And a hell of alot of hair!
metatron

Post by metatron »

Mattias "IA" Eklundh
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Mattias really has his own style which is refreshing in this day an age. Years ago I bought his cd "Freak Guitar" and it had like 22 songs on it. I always enjoyed his version of "Detroit Rock City"
metatron

Post by metatron »

Slayer,
Have you hear Fate - Scratch 'N Sniff [1990].
Mattias plays on it. Awesome album.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Ready digging this Lizzy Borden album 'Appointment With Death'
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
metatron

Post by metatron »

HOW F**Ken COOL IS THIS. RATT & ROLL. Good to see some of my hero haven't dropped the ball.
[youtube][/youtube]
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Thanks for that as I had never seen that new video from Ratt. I didn't think that Warren DeMartini could still capture the essence of the 80's but I was wrong he can. I didn't dig his work when he joined Whitesnake because I felt that he played too much Joe Perry and not enough John Sykes. This was cool though! Carlos Cavazo is a better player than Robin Crosby was (RIP) so this has the potential to be a great guitar band if they make the effort.

Great post!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

This is one of my favorite guitarists right now Fernando Miyata from Brazil

[youtube][/youtube]
Batman

Post by Batman »

Slayer wrote:This is one of my favorite new songs. It's a great tribute to Dio and Jorn is an amazing singer!

[youtube][/youtube]

That's because he is Norwegian :lol: hehehehe
teej

Post by teej »

Slayer wrote:Thanks for that as I had never seen that new video from Ratt. I didn't think that Warren DeMartini could still capture the essence of the 80's but I was wrong he can. I didn't dig his work when he joined Whitesnake because I felt that he played too much Joe Perry and not enough John Sykes. This was cool though! Carlos Cavazo is a better player than Robin Crosby was (RIP) so this has the potential to be a great guitar band if they make the effort.

Great post!
RATT still have it .. I love their new album
metatron

Post by metatron »

Slayer wrote:This is one of my favorite guitarists right now Fernando Miyata from Brazil
Yer, this is insane. Have seen him b4. Total wrap speed.
metatron

Post by metatron »

I was luck enuff to video this gig
AnA Black - Live @ the Whisky Friday 9th December, 1994 'Nightmare b4 Xmas' The two guitarists. Jessie James (aka China. He played on Alice Cooper's Brutal Planet & he was in a band called Sinisstar. They had one album called 'Future Shock') and Davy, the other guitarist plays in a band called Nero Zero with his brother Dizzy on Drums.

[youtube][/youtube]
Lil' Jack Horny

Post by Lil' Jack Horny »

Well I started playing guitar after listening to Richie Sambora on albums like Slippery When Wet and New Jersey, that's when I knew that I wanted to play guitar, and then later I really got into KISS. I started listening to heavier bands after that like Ozzy, then I started liking Randy Rhoads, JAKE E LEE, and pre-bearded Zakk Wylde. Then I started checking out Creatures era KISS and later Vinnie Vincent Invasion, and that's who my main influence is now. Also Jason Becker, Marty Friedman, Dave Mustaine, George Lynch, Warren Demartini, Paul Gilbert, Brendon Smalls (of Dethklok).

I'm also influenced by Kirk Hammet as an example of how not to play.
I prowl the innocent, forbidden terrain, unleashed half human, half insane
teej

Post by teej »

I agree with pretty much everything you say ´Jack`.. I also LOATHE Kirk Hammet
Lil' Jack Horny

Post by Lil' Jack Horny »

Yeah Teej, I worry about these kids who are still starting out and just love Metallica because the guy who plays guitar in my band used to be super into Metallica and sounded exactly like him for a while until he started to listening to other bands and developing his own style. Kirks style is easy to copy, all you need is a Crybaby and no ears xD
I prowl the innocent, forbidden terrain, unleashed half human, half insane
metatron

Post by metatron »

teej wrote:I agree with pretty much everything you say ´Jack`.. I also LOATHE Kirk Hammet
I F**K HATE Kirk Hammet & U2(feel ill just saying U2...F**K HATE U BONO SUX COX.) I want to make it law that unless you can really play guitar (& I'm not necessarily saying you need to pull out 400 notes a second) you can not have a wah pedal. If you found with a wah pedal, electrodes will be attached to your testicles & they will be amped up.

Written & spoke by Metatron against people who can't play guitar & cover it up by using a wah pedal.
doublev

Post by doublev »

Only metallia album that I liked was the first one. The rest of it I thought they took them selves too seriously. I did like the video to one with the soundbites from Johnny got his gun woven in and out but at the time that video got mtv overkill.
I liked the two touring guitarists from the 1987 tour.
Forgot about shotgun Messiah, have not heard that name in 20 years. Mark reele from riot was okay and I think Mick Mars was good in a different kind of way. Non come close to vinnie.