Dream Theater picks new drummer.

Discuss other bands we like
shramiac

Dream Theater picks new drummer.

Post by shramiac »

As a longtime DT fan, this has been a LONG ordeal with Mike Portnoy leaving! While thoroughly disappointed with his departure, I can see the band's side of the arguement for moving on without him.

So if you're interested, here are the 3 vids that the band has just released showing the auditions for the 7 drummers they asked to try out! Shame that Grant Collins from Australia wasn't looked at because he is a MONSTER!!!!! Check him on youtube!

Just note they are all about 20 mins long.

Ep.1 http://www.youtube.com/user/RoadrunnerR ... 609JsPFmmI

Ep.2 http://www.youtube.com/user/RoadrunnerR ... vaDfcKzLbY

Ep.3 http://www.youtube.com/user/RoadrunnerR ... QHMQjH17aw

They are all amazing drummers and I think the auditions were harder than the infamous Zappa audtions of the 70s!!!!!

And like many DT fans, I correctly guessed the winner! Months ago!!! LOL
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
birnie

Re: Dream Theater picks new drummer.

Post by birnie »

Wathced Ep1 just now...and i'm like "Give it to him!" (for Mike Mangini)
That was awesome!
Looking forward to 2 and 3.

Never really listed to these guys but they certainly look like lovely fellows :)
birnie

Post by birnie »

Watched Ep2
Virgil was obviously good, but i don't think his personality really fit in with the other guys.
Better drummer or not, they have to live with the dude .

One thing so far annoying me is the 2 favs, which are mine too, are getting credit for playing the old tunes exactly as Mike did.
They should be up front about that stuff.
As the drummer, that's something you would be guessing about. 'do i add my own flavour to look original or play how they like it?'
either way could win you the gig, and the only deciding factor being the band doing the audition.
No fair :(

Geeze the Paul Gilbert drummer looks like Paul :lol:
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

you are correct Birnie. The boys should've had a classic tune where they asked for Portnoy-style . Then a classic tune where they asked for a different interpretation.
Mangini is the right guy for the gig though.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I think Marco would have fitted too. I have to say that I liked that Virgil and the Austrian guy DID do slight interpretations of the songs. And I was amazed that Virgil plays guitar & keys as well and by the sounds of it not too badly! That could have helped with songwriting. Trouble I have with him is that he tends to move around a bit band wise and I'd want a permanent member. And of course his speech impediment!! Hard not too smirk when he speaks! Mean bastard I am, I know! His clinics are great though! Go watch him if you get the chance.
But man I gotta say, Mangini is one tiny dude! The other guys ain't that tall and he looks small next to them.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Marco is awesome but I don't think the boys want to express that much fun when they are on stage .

For some great Marco moments , watch Paul Gilbert's Space Ship Live:

[youtube][/youtube]

I love their attitude-Like kids in a basement. (A basement that costs a FEW :wink: hundred dollars an hour to rent) :D :D :D
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Paul has a great picking technique!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Paul's fantastic alright. I so wish I could play like that.

The rest of the DT talk is out of my league, I don't really have a clue as to who would make a good drummer for them other than some guy that can play?
Commander in chief - VVF Army
birnie

Post by birnie »

I wouldn't have a clue either, but i reckon all 7 would have been able to do it.....they justed wanted the right 'dude' that fit in with their personalities