Frehley's Comet Tour with Iron Maiden (all the cancelled shows)

Talk about Kiss
Luxor

Frehley's Comet Tour with Iron Maiden (all the cancelled shows)

Post by Luxor »

When SECOND SIGHTING was out, you first toured briefly with Alice Cooper, and soon later, you joined the Iron Maiden tour. But on that tour, something went wrong, and you soon got dropped off from the bill. What happened then?

John Regan: Here is what happened with Iron Maiden, probably one of our less pretty brainless managers at the time, who shall remain nameless. I almost put through the wall and hit him. Whoever negotiated the deal with that, with the Iron Maiden didn’t put it in our contract. If Iron Maiden canceled the show, we would still get to pay. Now, we were running pretty much day-to-day because it was expensive. Our guarantees weren’t that high, and we had wanted the exposure being on the Iron Maiden tour. That Iron Maiden tour in the United States did terribly. So, I’m going to use a figure, let’s say that you are planning on bringing in, you are doing five shows, and you will bring in $100,000 that week and then your expenses and everything. Those weren’t the figures, but just making an example. By the end of the week, you are pretty much okay; we made payroll. We can move on to the following week. Iron Maiden started canceling shows, so if we were getting 20,000 a show, all over sudden 20,000 shot now. By no fault of our own, we can’t go on and do a gig somewhere because all of our equipment is Iron Maiden. So, this started happening, and one week, I think they canceled two or three shows. And now we can’t pay our bus company; now the bus drives away which it actually did once. I remember Tod and me in a hotel going, “Isn’t that our bus driving down the highway?” We are looking out the window and here goes everything. So, that particular incident was bad management and bad negotiating because I’m concerned. If I’m the headliner and I choose not to do a show for whatever reason, I would pay the support act because their bill just will come in and as if they got paid, and they didn’t cancel a show. We had no party canceling the show. That was just bad business, Iron Maiden’s, and they weren’t drawing numbers. And the way it works when you are doing big shows with a lot of times if you do not have enough presale, the better of canceling the show and the promoter taking a loss than opening the doors and incurring the extra cost of security, etc. — renting the hall. We were stuck in the middle and had nothing to do with Ace, Ace’s ability to perform. It was a bad situation with the, and we weren’t looked after by the people handling our businesses.

https://www.metal-rules.com/2014/08/10/ ... eys-comet/
"This whole 'rotation' thing is absolutely meaningless and weird. It's most likely coming from label to save face" - DoubleV
Mikelangelo

Re: Frehley's Comet Tour with Iron Maiden (all the cancelled shows)

Post by Mikelangelo »

When was this exactly? In about 1988 or so? It sounds that Iron Maiden would cancel a lot of shows. I mean they were on top of their game. Sounds odd to me at least...
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

My reply to the same topic Lux started in the Vinnie section.

"There were three gigs cancelled on that part of the tour with Ace. Only one gig was cancelled due to poor sales, July 10th 1988 in Allentown.
The second was on July 24th 1988 in Landover and re-scheduled for August 7th (after Ace had finished up). The third was on July 26th in Atlanta when Maiden was stuck in bad weather in Washington. Ace however, still played his set. The show was re-scheduled for the next day and I'd assume Ace played again?????"
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

If I have my Date(s) right, I went to the July 13th 1988 Iron Maiden Show at the New Haven, CT Coliseum....Iron Maiden Played but Frehley's Comet was a "No Show" without any Explanation to the Crowd, from what I remember.... ( Man was I PISSED !!! ) :evil:
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Iron Maiden very popular in 1988 but maybe they lost a bit of ground briefly because of the more guns n roses and more sing along commercial bands like bon jovi. Aerosmith and even Motley crue. Iron Maiden seemed a touch early 80s ans slightly out of touch to the 1988 trends but that said still massive
Bye Bye