Lick It Up Anniversary (Sept 23)

Talk about Kiss
VVArchives

Lick It Up Anniversary (Sept 23)

Post by VVArchives »

One of the best, if not best albums in KISStory. The album that saved KISS!

I think its odd how some act like "Creatures" is better. COTN is very good, but its certainly not Lick It Up.

And them bringing in Rick Derringer for no other reason than to screw with Vinnie. Vinnie's original solo on Exciter is better than Derringer's. Head Games.

If they could have only continued with a strong follow up after Lick It Up, they would have been back on top.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Lick It Up Anniversary (Sept 23)

Post by Genebaby »

Totally agree with you, LIU is better than Creatures, though it was good, it's no LIU!!

I really like Vinnie's style in KISS, wether that's on a leash or whatever, what was presented works and works well. The reviews were great, it was a great album to be proud of and they certainly would have gone from strength to strength had that unit stayed together.

Vinnie might not have liked being on a leash, but it was the perfect blend for KISS, as this wasn't the Vinnie band.

Love the sound and production of this one, it's just molten metal with Paul and Gene singing their butts off.

I actually really like Rick's solo in Exciter. For years I imagined it was Vinnie, I really like what's happening in it, totally fits the song. I was impressed that Rick did it when I found out.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

I never understood Vinnie claiming he was "put on a leash". Listen to his Warrior stuff. All Vinnie's stuff up till 1985 sound restrained (demo wise).

Rick's a good guitar player but he's basically copying what Vinnie did on the demo. The only thing that ever made sense to me is they were trying to **** with Vinnie.

I would love to hear Bruce's attempts at doing the solo on "Everytime I Look At You" before they brought in Dick Wagner to play it.

LIU sold 240,000 units in 2 days (Sounds) KISS was back!

It would be certified gold soon after the waiting period expired.

Too bad KISS and the RIAA facts don't mean jack. It would have been nice to see KISS holding a platinum LIU album in 1984.
It would be nice to see a double platinum LIU today.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The Exciter solo sounds so cool and like a studio creation, with the delays and whatnot going on, I have no idea how to recreate it.

I couldn't say for sure about want to fuck with Vinnie as KISS were never shy in using someone else when needed, it has happened time and time again, to all the members. If someone can play it better, they do. We, the fans, eventually find out, but I'm sure that wasn't the plan at the time.
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

Lick It Up was a great album, back in the day and still today!!! And the contrast to previous stuff was quite big, considering that 1970s KISS was basicly a hard rock band and Lick It Up is a heavy metal album, at least it was to me.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Lick It Up is pure molten metal!!
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Creatures for the win. Sonically a bigger. more aggressive sounding album than LIU. Songs are on a par with both, though Dance and 8th day are weak album enders. Not a fan of the rap in All Hell's (and neither was Eric so, poo to you with knobs on :P) and LIU itself is boring...but so is Love it Loud.

No doubt though, Vinnie busted balls on both.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Dance All Over Your Face is the best! Amazing Gene lyrics. Listen Bitch, I got news!!!!!! I tell that to people at work.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

There is no filler on LIU, but there are more weak songs on Creatures, which did sound good, but isn't balanced, that's why it's not molten metal, it's heavy metal for sure, but the metal isn't as hot as on LIU. LIU itself is amazing for it's simplicity. Just the chugging A sounds great, the drums grooving. Then it's on to Gimme More, and the metalfest continues.
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

I always liked the sound on both of those albums!!! Actually, Creatures Of The Night-drum sound...whoaaa!!! ✊😃