Gene and Paul cut Bruce and Eric's per diem 90's

Talk about Kiss
VVArchives

Gene and Paul cut Bruce and Eric's per diem 90's

Post by VVArchives »

That was mentioned in another thread.

If anyone has a link to an article or interview where that is mentioned, I would love to see it.

I would also love to know if Bruce and Eric were getting $1000 a week then or $2000 a week.

I knew KISS was in terrible financial shape in the 90's (before the reunion) but cancelling band members per diem takes the KISS money problems to another level.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Gene and Paul cut Bruce and Eric's per diem 90's

Post by Genebaby »

I would have read this in one of my magazines most likely. The financial situation was pretty bad, but whatever Bruce and Eric (both of them) were going through, it was not as bad for Gene and Paul, but they did own the business and were involved in the finances.

Another think I remember reading is that Bruce's first wife, Christine?, said that even in the late 80's Paul had a nice house. She said, here we are driving a 10 year old car around and Paul has an elevator in his house. She thought that was a bit much I guess all things considered.

This has a bit of a mention on salary and like I was saying, everyone after the originals is a paid employee, you get what you get and there are many people who would take your place. I certainly would have.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

Genebaby wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:20 am I would have read this in one of my magazines most likely. The financial situation was pretty bad, but whatever Bruce and Eric (both of them) were going through, it was not as bad for Gene and Paul, but they did own the business and were involved in the finances.

Another think I remember reading is that Bruce's first wife, Christine?, said that even in the late 80's Paul had a nice house. She said, here we are driving a 10 year old car around and Paul has an elevator in his house. She thought that was a bit much I guess all things considered.

This has a bit of a mention on salary and like I was saying, everyone after the originals is a paid employee, you get what you get and there are many people who would take your place. I certainly would have.

Christina talked in "The Eric Carr Story". I hadn't seen that in ages. I scanned through some of it after you mentioned that.

Christina acted like Paul was gay. She acted like Bruce complained all the time. He was neurotic and others things.

He complained about his role in KISS, his salary (or lack thereof) and other things but he wouldn't go confront Gene and Paul over it. He just took it.

They shared a Honda (Bruce and Christina).

Shannon thought Bruce and Christina were millionaires. Christina laughed at that one.

After Gene moved Shannon into Gene's house, Bruce and another guy rented the apartment Shannon was in from her.

Not sure if the Honda was 10 years old or not. Eric was driving a 10 or 11 year old car when he passed. That same bottom off the barrel Porsche 924 he got when he joined the band. At least Paul did talk him out of painting it catalogue (I think that's what Eric wanted to do).

I do wonder if Gene and Paul had their nice homes from the past but not much more. Paul was leasing a Porsche 928 to "look" like a rockstar in the late 80's.

I wish Christina would write a book. She would be free to say all the things Bruce won't come out and admit. She should take a cue from Carrie Stevens. Get a book out.

Yes, there are many people who would "accept" that role. Like I mentioned in another thread, it would be like Tampa Bay offering Tom Brady $2M a year. There's plenty of other quarterbacks who would come in and play for far less. You get what you pay for. Kiss didn't want to pay fair wages and look what it got them. You get LIU, I Love It Loud, Unholy with Vinnie or you get a "Tough Love" with Bruce or "Little Caesar" with Eric. And that's not even getting into how much tighter the band was with Vinnie.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

To be fair Little Ceaser was a bone threw Eric on HITS, one of an album of 15 songs. And Gene had to do the lyrics, which are not great. I actually don't think Eric had a great voice for lead. He could sing, but it wasn't a stand out vocal.

Yes, they got Eric the cheapest Porsche you could get. Still would have been nice when it was new, but the guy obviously couldn't afford to upgrade it and yeah, he died still driving it. I saw it in 2014 at the original KISS Golf thing in Vegas.

Pauls 928 would have been the one he was using in the Reason to Live video? They burnt a shell, but yeah, they were doing what they could to keep up appearances but Eric and Bruce weren't doing so great. KISS was a front for success, but the numbers tell a different story.

A book from Christina would be epic.
VVArchives

Post by VVArchives »

Genebaby wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:16 pm To be fair Little Ceaser was a bone threw Eric on HITS, one of an album of 15 songs. And Gene had to do the lyrics, which are not great. I actually don't think Eric had a great voice for lead. He could sing, but it wasn't a stand out vocal.

Yes, they got Eric the cheapest Porsche you could get. Still would have been nice when it was new, but the guy obviously couldn't afford to upgrade it and yeah, he died still driving it. I saw it in 2014 at the original KISS Golf thing in Vegas.

Pauls 928 would have been the one he was using in the Reason to Live video? They burnt a shell, but yeah, they were doing what they could to keep up appearances but Eric and Bruce weren't doing so great. KISS was a front for success, but the numbers tell a different story.

I thought Eric did a good job singing Black Diamond and Young and Wasted
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Eric could stay in tune better than Peter, that's for sure.

The sad thing for me about Eric is that he could have answered the ad back in 1973 (he was older than Paul) and been KISS' drummer the whole time. He would have been a better team player and a much better drummer as well.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

VVArchives wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:12 am
Genebaby wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:16 pm To be fair Little Ceaser was a bone threw Eric on HITS, one of an album of 15 songs. And Gene had to do the lyrics, which are not great. I actually don't think Eric had a great voice for lead. He could sing, but it wasn't a stand out vocal.

I thought Eric did a good job singing Black Diamond and Young and Wasted
It was ok, but there is a weakness in his voice? He had a bit of rasp, like Peter and like Singer, which is an interesting co-incidence, and he can certainly hold a tune, but he's not full on lead singer material to me. Little Ceaser cemented that with me. Think of Kai Hansen in Helloween, he was getting the job done in the early days, but the songs were improved more when Kiske joined, those ones live and the next albums were much, much better.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

shramiac wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:19 am Eric could stay in tune better than Peter, that's for sure.

The sad thing for me about Eric is that he could have answered the ad back in 1973 (he was older than Paul) and been KISS' drummer the whole time. He would have been a better team player and a much better drummer as well.
Eric is lucky his friend told him about the auditions at least.

Of course Peter is a pain in the ass, but his drumming style did bring something special to KISS, as did Ace's lead work. With anybody else, playing more straight ahead in both areas, it may not have been as interesting. Sure the stage show would be there, but us real fans also actually do like the music, and the 70's KISS was great, 80's KISS was great too, just different.