PAUL STANLEY's R&B Band SOUL STATION To Release Debut Album In March

Talk about Kiss
metatron

PAUL STANLEY's R&B Band SOUL STATION To Release Debut Album In March

Post by metatron »

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/paul- ... -in-march/
In a new interview with Scott Lipps, Paul Stanley confirmed that the debut LP from his R&B band SOUL STATION will be released in March. The effort, which was recorded over a period of several months, will be preceded by "a couple of singles."

Speaking about how the idea for SOUL STATION came about, Paul said (see video below): "I was really lucky, because, before I ever saw [LED] ZEPPELIN or any of the British bands that I grew to love, or the blues bands that I saw, I saw Otis Redding as a kid, I saw Solomon Burke and THE TEMPTATIONS. So that really is the core of what I do. It's not all that I do, but it's in there, and it always has been. SMOKEY [ROBINSON] AND THE MIRACLES; early Stevie Wonder; Philly soul; Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, all the things that they produced — Thom Bell. So you have THE DELFONICS, STYLISTICS, BLUE MAGIC, THE TEMPS, FOUR TOPS, and on and on. So, for me, that music, unfortunately, has been relegated to becoming samples in somebody's rap songs. Those songs deserve so much more, not only respect, but to be listened to, because when we play those songs live, everybody's faces light up, because they're just great, great songs.

"SOUL STATION is 15 people, and everybody's played with everyone from Smokey to Stevie Wonder to Natalie Cole to TEMPTATIONS, Whitney Houston, and on and on and on," Stanley continued. "And it really is like a family. We hang out at my house and have a great time. But what really bonded us together was this love of that music and wanting to recreate it accurately, respectfully. Even some of those bands, when they wound up playing live, did these uptempo, kind of soulless versions of their own songs. And we're playing those songs the way they're supposed to be, and it's glorious.

"Look, I started doing it selfishly, 'cause I love that music, and to have it surrounding me, and to get to sing those songs, is crazy. And then to also write some new tunes that really marry so well to the old tunes is like writing another page.

"Will it surprise some people? Yeah," Paul added. "But, honestly, I'm not… Somebody said, 'Oh, you're reinventing yourself.' I'm not the champion of blues rock or hard rock or metal or this. I did 'Phantom Of The Opera'. I'm a singer, and I choose to sing whatever I choose to sing at any given time. So, really, honestly, it's as natural for me to sing Philly soul as it is to sing rock. It's just I haven't done it publicly."

Earlier this month, Stanley told Kyle Meredith that SOUL STATION recently "shot a bunch of videos, COVID safe and under supervision."

This past May, Stanley released a cover version of Smokey Robinson's classic song "Ooo Baby Baby", recorded by SOUL STATION. In a statement accompanying the clip, Stanley said: "These are challenging times. Long before I ever heard the great British bands, I grew up listening to Philly Soul, Motown and so much more. I was lucky to see Otis Redding and Solomon Burke among others. That music and its storytelling gave me strength and hope even in some tough days. The great classics of that era are magical medicine for most and I felt myself drawn back to that era for some sorcery I think we could all use."

He added: "While it's hard to connect physically, some of SOUL STATION decided to reach out and make a virtual and emotional connection on a great Motown and Smokey Robinson classic, Ooo Baby Baby."

Last year, Stanley told the Real Radio 104.1 radio station that he wanted to wait for the right time to release the SOUL STATION LP. "It really deserves full attention and my full commitment," he explained. "So until we can do great live performances — the band is amazing live — and until we can promote it the way we should, it's just going to simmer."

Asked if he gets any hate from KISS fans for making an album that is stylistically far removed from the music his main band is best known for producing, Stanley said: "I'm sure there are some people who'd rather me doing a KISS album or something like that, but when you sign on with me, you understand that we're both in this together, and sometimes I have to do what I need to do. And that's part of the joy and the reward for me. So I would rather do a great SOUL STATION album right now than tamper with KISS or the KISS legacy and do something that I'm really not feeling at the moment."

Ooo Baby Baby, Oh Baby, Baby, PUSH IT!
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: PAUL STANLEY's R&B Band SOUL STATION To Release Debut Album In March

Post by Genebaby »

I've not listened to Soul Station, but I've also not listened to Ace's two covers albums, I'm not that interested in these things, but more power to Paul if he's able to sing at a level that works for this.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
ankh

Post by ankh »

i've listend to a few live videos and thanks but no thanks.There's a difference between having fun in your basement with friends and butchering great songs in front of an audience.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
metatron

Post by metatron »

I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

He's not singing as Paul Stanley, he would do much better if he had his full voice
ankh

Post by ankh »

just to give a hint...
sorry if the keyboardist is slightly better :P.

And Paul said that Peter didn't have a clue about how to sing rythm &blues and soul.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Peter is into RnB, always has been, and I may have mentioned it before but I do like his first two solo albums, the KISS one, and then Out Of Control, once I discovered Out Of Control existed. As a kid in Australia in 1980 KISS were massive but I didn't hear about Peter's album unti I found it in a second hand store years later.

I checked all the names associated with it and figured it had to be the Peter Criss from KISS, lol.
Mikelangelo

Post by Mikelangelo »

Okey, Paul's voice is unfortunately long gone. But how's Peter? Does he still sing, how's his voice? We know that Gene and Ace still sing, at least in some capacity!!! 😄
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Peter can still sing. He did some "final" shows a couple of years or so ago. He can sing the songs he needs to sing, it's only Paul, who really has been singing his ass off for a long time, that has the problems.

Some say it was the Phantom shows that did the most damage?
ankh

Post by ankh »

apart from tryng to not aknowledge his problems, Paul ,bein the ringleader, has to speak inbetween songs and so there's no real rest on the vocal chords...there's a vid of Gene advising Paul to restrain his voice during reharsals otherwise he'll lose his voice and he was completely ignored...

about peter...

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Paul was once amazing but these days he wouldn't pass an audition for a tribute band.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Genebaby wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:26 am Paul was once amazing but these days he wouldn't pass an audition for a tribute band.
That's OK, cause today KISS is a tribute band.
greatest KISS cover band in the whole wide world is.....
Wait for, Wait for. That's right folks.
Attachments
And the problem with success is you become what you detest,<br />How about that?”
And the problem with success is you become what you detest,
How about that?”
282px-Kiss_Logo.svg.png (14.89 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ah well, it is what it is. I'll take the kids to see them if they ever get back here and then we can all call it a day.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Genebaby wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:08 am Ah well, it is what it is. I'll take the kids to see them if they ever get back here and then we can all call it a day.
exactly.
That is what KISS is.
An retro amusement ride. Disneyland's 'it a small world' with pyro.
A reissue of the original product.
If KISS had never had put on the makeup again they would be dead in the water.
The retro reissued product has been proven by Gene and Paul having the 'Spaceman' and 'Catman' in the line up.
Good for an a night out with the kids, - not really as a rock band.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes. It's sad what KISS has become. I'm not sure how they can still call themselves the hottest band in the world anymore.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

metatron

Post by metatron »

shramiac

Post by shramiac »

(As)Soul Station! :P
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
metatron

Post by metatron »

shramiac wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:35 am (As)Soul Station! :P
Nice
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

:D
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Actually I'm a little bit more interested in this release as I initially thought it was just an album of old covers, and there will be plenty of those, but I didn't know until recently was there were new songs.

I literally ignore the new wave of cover albums I like, be it Tesla or Ace Frehley. These albums bore me to tears so I don't buy or even bother listening to them.

I'm interested in hearing the five new songs at least.