I found a relic last weekend going through some old stuff :-)

Talk about Kiss
Slayer

I found a relic last weekend going through some old stuff :-)

Post by Slayer »

On this date an 18 year 7 month old Slayer saw Kiss with Vinnie Vincent for the second time at the Orange Show Pavilion in San Bernardino, California (Yes that same terrorist attack City) during the Lick It Up Tour without makeup. The first time that I saw Vinnie live was a year earlier in Orange County at what was then called Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre in support of Creatures of the Night.

The opening acts at the Orange Pavilion were Riot and Vandenberg

Riot wasn't memorable but Vandenberg was absolutely outstanding.
Kiss was actually too loud. It was so loud and poorly mixed that you couldn't hardly hear Vinnie's solos or fills in the songs. The exception to this was the live solos by Eric Carr, Gene Simmons, Paul Stanley and Vinnie Vincent. When these guys were out there by themselves you could hear clearly although it was still painfully load. Who could ever forget Vinnie ringing the highest E note on the guitar pulling up with his non fine tuning Floyd Rose. He would hold and ring this note for what would seem like forever. Amazing that this was over 32 years ago...............

Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: I found a relic last weekend going through some old stuff :-)

Post by Genebaby »

Wow, you're so lucky to have seen this line up twice Kev.

Bummer the LIU show was really loud. They did this in Melbourne in the 2000's, my friend went there with family and I went to Sydney, his show was painfully loud but mine was fine.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Atta boy, Uncle Kev ! Love good Vinnie memories.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Irvine Meadows was outside and the volume was perfect

Orange Show Pavilion was in doors and this was likely the problem. I believe that Kiss just needed to back off on the volume and it would have been fine as Riot and Vandenberg sounded fine the same night. I have seen many other acts back in the day that sounded good at this venue. Scorpions, Lita Ford, Dio, Dokken, Yngwie Malmsteen, Ratt and many more others so it was Kiss rather than the acoustics of the venue.

K
Cernex

Post by Cernex »

Wow... that's pretty great. I'm jealous you got to see KISS with Vinnie TWICE.

Shame about the sound, tho'.
Space Galleon Javelin - My space opera web serial. It's free! And complete! Go check it out.
Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon Author page, for if you want to check my fiction and stuff.