Kiss Guitarist Auditions 1982

Post by Slayer »

Part 1 is a good read as there were a few names that I was unaware of

http://metaltalk.net/columns2016/20160849.php

Kev
shramiac

Re: Kiss Guitarist Auditions 1982

Post by shramiac »

One glaring mistake (Bob Kulick didn't play a note on Creatures) but all in all, a good read.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I know that we have discussed this before about Bob Kulick not playing the solo on Danger and others and that Bob has said that he didn't play on Creatures that he is aware of. There has been some discussion that may be viable since Killers and COTN were recorded at essentially the same time that some of Bob's playing may be present on COTN and he may not be directly aware of it? I'm not talking about a solo more rhythmic stuff. I'm not saying that it is so but I'm recognizing that it might be so. Those albums were secretive at the time as far as who played what. I've even heard before that Paul played the solo on I love it Loud. It sounds like him but I don't have any proof on that other than reading that somewhere......
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Paul may very well have played the I Love It Loud solo, he's done work before, going back to I Want You in 76, he plays the first half, in the clip and live, then things like I Stole Your Love and Sure Know Something is all Paul. Then he's all over the Unmasked album due to the way the band was functioning at the time.

A great read though, I did enjoy it.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Come on and love me from Dressed to Kill too
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

I think that " I love it loud" solo has a Vinnie feeling, so I don't think it's Paul playing... But who knows?
say two sky two say fare
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It's a pretty easy solo, much in Paul's vein. Still, him playing it on the video means he either played it on the record or someone else did and Ace didn't want to mime it.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

tukoztukoz wrote:I think that " I love it loud" solo has a Vinnie feeling, so I don't think it's Paul playing... But who knows?
That last diving note of that solo says "Vinnie" to me.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

:mrgreen: Vinnie on I love it loud to me
Bye Bye
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Same thing about the first part of the Exciter solo :Vinnie and not Gillis?
I've always thought that's where Vinnie and Ace meet, even though there don't trem/bend their notes exactly the same.
say two sky two say fare
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Yes, the octave breakdown on Exciter is Vinnie for me as well. He wrote it anyway, that's for sure.
One of Vinnie's solos on Exciter I put on the LIU Wiki page.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Sorry! The Exciter solo I put on Vinnie's Wiki page.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Andrew, nice lips and tits LOL :-)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Slayer wrote:Andrew, nice lips and tits LOL :-)
I think they are all his own!!

shramiac

Post by shramiac »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Get them Vic :-)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Haha!
roustabout23

Post by roustabout23 »

As for COTN, I recall reading in a few places that this album was so shrouded in chaos and confusion of image and every other possible thing, that even KISS are unsure who ended up on the final edits of the album. That said, this is where they lose a LOT of credibility with me, and "room to talk" as it were since this period saw the band not only lying to the record label, the press and promoters (to retain the right to call the band KISS?!?) but worse, to the fans about who played what... when you are lying about the members of the band, you certainly do not have the right to complain or penalize a member (or employee) for selling a guitar in a questionable manner... Just my 2 cents, KISS really needs to come clean about this era and the dopplegangers that were around. I recall a wiki or similar article that seems to have disappeared that delineated all the studio bassists used by KISS during the Gene Is An Actor era...
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Slayer

Post by Slayer »

doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Every single band and record label make up lies to promote records. Sorry but that's a fact. It's mostly coming from publicists at record labels. They had a tricky situation where band was not sure they could sell records and their deal was only good if ace still in the band. Not sure what they were to do.
roustabout23 wrote:As for COTN, I recall reading in a few places that this album was so shrouded in chaos and confusion of image and every other possible thing, that even KISS are unsure who ended up on the final edits of the album. That said, this is where they lose a LOT of credibility with me, and "room to talk" as it were since this period saw the band not only lying to the record label, the press and promoters (to retain the right to call the band KISS?!?) but worse, to the fans about who played what... when you are lying about the members of the band, you certainly do not have the right to complain or penalize a member (or employee) for selling a guitar in a questionable manner... Just my 2 cents, KISS really needs to come clean about this era and the dopplegangers that were around. I recall a wiki or similar article that seems to have disappeared that delineated all the studio bassists used by KISS during the Gene Is An Actor era...
Bye Bye
roustabout23

Post by roustabout23 »

there are exceptions to this rule, I won't get involved in a listing of the bands I know first hand have never lied about shit to their fans, but suffice to say, there is smoke screen, and out right false advertising. A few years ago, Sharon Osbourne remastered the first 2 ozzy albums with robert trujillo on bass and mike bordin on drums, and advertised that they were the original tracks by the original musicians. There ended up being a class action lawsuit, and a restoral of what actually was removed to avoid paying royalties to kerslake and daisley.

Kisstory, is more questionable to me than any other bands because of the COTN era, and the outright lies told and perpetrated on TV. What were they to do? Come clean with the fans. Dokken did it, admitting several times that they were going through inner turmoil that might end the band. They even made it part of the hype.. Come see DOKKEN before it blows up!

I know from 18 years in the industry as a roadie and bass tech, who lies and who doesnt. it isn't every single one. There are artists with integrity out there.
chrispaulodale

Post by chrispaulodale »

I appreciate the debate my article Pt1 on the guitarist auditions created. You may well be right, it seems nobody really knows exactly which parts were played by whom. It could well be Vinnie on Danger.

Part 2 of my article about the KISS guitarist auditions of 1982 is online now at http://metaltalk.net/columns2016/20160850.php

In it are interviews I've done with more guitarists that tried out for KISS. There's a few mentions of Vinnie, some funny annecdotes and more hints into the way KISS were operating in 1982, during the auditions and Creatures recordings. This new article has interviews with John Verner, Tommy Lafferty, Punky Meadows, Steve Farris, Roger Romeo, Spencer Sercombe, Jack Starr, Steve Irons and Bruce Kulick.

Hope you like it,
Cheers
Chris
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Wow, that was a great read, well done!
chrispaulodale

Post by chrispaulodale »

Glad you liked it, it was fun to do...

Cheers
Chris
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Great job Chris and thank you kindly for the share here
chrispaulodale

Post by chrispaulodale »

Thanks Slayer, I'm glad to share it here, this is a great forum with some intelligent people posting reasoned comments... unlike some other forums! Haha!

Cheers
Chris
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

chrispaulodale wrote:Thanks Slayer, I'm glad to share it here, this is a great forum with some intelligent people posting reasoned comments... unlike some other forums! Haha!

Cheers
Chris

LOL, We have our moments too but as a group we seem to have adapted and or healed from what ailed us in the past. There are many guitar players here and at times we certainly talk about guitars and or other bands as much or more than Vincent Cusano even though for many of us he is our favorite guitar player. Say for instance just fast forward up to the 3 minute mark on this tune from Guitars From Hell :twisted:

[youtube][/youtube]
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Part 2 was excellent. Well done.

Thanks for the link too, Kev. Haven't heard that version for a long, long time.
chrispaulodale

Post by chrispaulodale »

Great tune, Slayer! I too love the Vinmeister...

I've got a new guitarist on the article about the KISS auditions of 1982. Did you know Al Romano (later of Sun Red Sun feat, Ray Gillen and Mike Starr), also auditioned for KISS? Read his story here too-
http://metaltalk.net/columns2016/20160850.php
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Chris,
Many of the gentlemen that you have reported that auditioned for KISS in 1982 and was unaware of. Many I have never heard of too. You did an outstanding job with this research!

Kev
chrispaulodale

Post by chrispaulodale »

Thanks again, Kev. You may well have seen it already but I did a similar article on the 1980 drummer auditions....
http://metaltalk.net/columns2015/20150844.php
Cheers
Chris
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Another great read Chris!

Thank you for your contributions brother and please keep them coming!

Kev
chrispaulodale

Post by chrispaulodale »

I guess the next article I've got to write up is the 1983/84 guitarist auditions. I haven't got many names for this one yet, Kevin Carlson, Tonmy Bruno, Michael Ray... and Mark St John. Has anyone here heard any more rumours of guitarists that auditioned at that point that I should chase up?

All help appreciated!

Cheers
Chris
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Outstanding and I cant hardly wait to read this. You are off to a great start as I believe that Mark Norton was a referral to Paul. Possibly by Grover Jackson? I read this somewhere and if memory serves me it was Grover?

Kev
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, try and talk to Grover, KISS were in touch, looking for guitarists.