Eric carr biography

Talk about Kiss
ankh

Eric carr biography

Post by ankh »

I got the Eric carr biography today, read half of it, it's really good.More than narrating the story, the story itself is narrated by the people who were around him, for different reasons.The general consensus was how great was Erii as musician and as person.The last part is the most controversial, of course, and the whole book is very informative,and more objective and better than some of the "official" ones, i think it's must for every fan.

There are references about Vinnie, of course, and they are not so nice.That didn't come out of Eric,who seem to like V as person and and as musician-Just in case you're reading this, btw- but more from people who knew V himself, including some of his, huh, songwriting and working partners.

The reason i put it here is because for many great reasons, to just remember Eric as just the drummer from Kiss would be to selling him very short.I think if you read the book, you'll get my point of wiew.

Eric, thanks again for such great examples of musicianship and human qualities,something that many people should learn from.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Eric carr biography

Post by Genebaby »

Thanks Ankh, I would love to get this book. What's it called? Where did you get it from? I'm guessing Amazon and Ebay will have it?
Commander in chief - VVF Army
ankh

Post by ankh »

Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:50 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here you go :

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=150276

'The Eric Carr Story' Book Now Available - Dec. 2, 2010

Greg Prato, the author of such books as "Grunge Is Dead: The Oral History Of Seattle Rock Music", "Touched By Magic: The Tommy Bolin Story" and "A Devil On One Shoulder And An Angel On The Other: The Story Of Shannon Hoon And Blind Melon", has a new title that is now available for purchase.

"The Eric Carr Story" is the first-ever book to tell the life story of KISS drummer Eric Carr. Comprised of all-new interviews, the book also doubles as a study of 1980s-era KISS. You'll find insight into all of KISS' albums that featured Carr (from producers Bob Ezrin, Michael James Jackson, and Ron Nevison), as well as those closest to him (sister Loretta Caravello, girlfriend Carrie Stevens, KISS guitarist Bruce Kulick), and music-related friends (Eddie Trunk, DREAM THEATER's Mike Portnoy, ANTHRAX's Charlie Benante). Also included is one of the last-ever interviews conducted with KISS' original manager, Bill Aucoin, and for the first time ever, KISS fans will be able to learn what the real story line to KISS' controversial release "(Music From) The Elder" was all about (thanks to an explanation from Ezrin).

With the 20-year anniversary of Eric Carr's passing (November 24, 1991) approaching in 2011, what better way to celebrate the subjects than with all-new book? The book is set up in an "oral history" format (in other words, you're getting the story straight from the source) and is chock-full of rarely seen (or, in many cases, never-before-seen) photographs.

The Eric Carr book is 256 pages long and priced at $19.99 (ISBN # 978-0-578-07424-5).

For ordering information and to view samples from the book before purchasing, go to this location.
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/t ... y/13991056

it's only avalaible though Lulu.com, not trhough amazon or ebay, but their service is fast and professional.

For me it's really worth it.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
doublev

Post by doublev »

bruce said eric said only nice things about vinnie but also understood he was not going to work out with gene and paul.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Thanks again Ankh, I have placed my order for the book!

Eric said great things about the LIU album. It was his favourite Kiss record he played on.
sunnyto666

Post by sunnyto666 »

Born Paul Caravello, Eric Carr was the drummer with KISS for more consecutive years than anyone else. His makeup design, The Fox, was only seen on two of the groups releases, "Creatures of the Night" and "Kiss Killers", the latter being a greatest hits compilation with a few new songs on it.

He died in 1991 from cancer. The group's 1992 release "Revenge" contained what is believed to be the only drum solo Carr ever recorded with the band, titled "Carr Jam 1981".
[color=#FF00FF][/color]I DID IT MY WAY!
TheGoodDr

Post by TheGoodDr »

I've just about finished reading this.....what a wonderful book it is. I really dig the fact that it is made up of many individual's recollections and memories of the man. Bobby Rock's comments re: Vinnie cracked me up!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I can't wait to get my copy. I'm hoping it's waiting for me when I get home later today.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

My book came today!!! It looks fantastic, I just opened it up to a section and was hooked.

It has a list of people who were interviewed/contributed. Too bad Vinnie is not on the list.
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Post by strangeways »

http://podkisst.com/

Audio interview with author of said book
"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Nice. So it's easier to find later one, here's the link to the month the Eric stuff was posted.

http://podkisst.com/?m=201101
Fullshed

Post by Fullshed »

TheGoodDr wrote:I've just about finished reading this.....what a wonderful book it is. I really dig the fact that it is made up of many individual's recollections and memories of the man. Bobby Rock's comments re: Vinnie cracked me up!
Can anyone who has read this book summarize what Bobby Rock say's?

Thx
Into the Spyder's Web I fall!!!!
doublev

Post by doublev »

i have spoken to Bobby about Vinnie a few times and he only says good things. To bad VV doesn't return the favour. You can not really blame them for leaving VVI as they were barely able to eat with the money they were getting.

As for Eric, I only heard him say he liked vv.

Can someone tell me what the negative comments about Vinnie are? and who said them?
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Is Eric's falling out with G & P when he was near his end the reason Vinnie has Eric's makeup rights? Wonder if Eric kept in contact with Vinnie all those years, behind G & P's back!!!??? Hope so!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The biggest thing about Vinnie in the book so far is that once again his talents and abilities are second to none, he's flat out fantastic, but like Gene has said and it's said here again by Adam Mitchell that personality will win over talent every time. He says that a LOT!

He also said it about John Waite too, talking about how he did the song Tears and should be as big as Rod Stewart with his talent but he's nowhere near.
TheGoodDr

Post by TheGoodDr »

Basically Bobby Rock finds it incredible that NO ONE has seen Vinnie since......forever!

Also, where's it stated that VV owns Eric's Make-Up trademark? Given that Eric's family have produced items bearing The Fox likeness I'd be very surprised if Vinnie had any claim to Eric's make-up.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Quite the contrary.I believe Vinnie has love and respect for Eric and the Caravello family and allows them to do what they need to do. I feel that Vinnie will ONLY pursue Gene and Paul if THEY (Kiss) uses it. Hence , Kiss using Eric's first FOX design for the "Creatures"action figures.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
TheGoodDr

Post by TheGoodDr »

I'm not suggesting that Vinnie has any animosity what-so-ever towards Eric and his family, but why would he have the rights to Eric's make-up? Almost every other intellectual property that Eric had (creativity wise) went to Bruce Kulick.....why would he give Vinnie the make-up rights?
That's ano-brainer why they used the Paladium version of Eric's make-up for the Creatures figures from McFarlane Toys because G&P don't own the trade-mark....I just find it very hard to believe that Vinnie owns it.
Also, Eric's 'trademarked' make-up is all over KISSOLOGY V2.....and there's NO WAY G&P would have paid Vinnie so that they could use the pics and video footage for the DVD. Vinnie doesn't even own the trademark to his own character (that Paul came up with).....so again, I ask, where is it stated that Vinnie owns The Fox?
syncophile42

Post by syncophile42 »

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
doublev

Post by doublev »

he collects domains and copyrights a lot of stuff. I reckon he has paid out over 50k on domains and copyrights. what a waste of money.
doublev

Post by doublev »

i am getting so close to walking away from this, if it wasn't for the friends I have here. Its really just one thing after another.
birnie

Post by birnie »

I was going to stop visitng here too, just forget the whole thing but i enjoy reading peoples posts.
It's like an episode of Dallas/Dynasty....as much as you hate the show, you watch it for a few minutes and have to see what happens next

And now we have some TJ's in progress, i'm hanging to see update snaps of those.....yummy :D
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Gooddr, I never thought you implied any animosity between Vinnie and the Caravellos. I was just pointing out that Vinnie got the copyright to his and Eric's make up so he could (RIGHTFULLY) stick it to Gene and Paul.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev

Post by doublev »

if vv spent as much time making music than he did trying to 'stick it' to gene and paul, he wouldn't have to 'stick it' to gene and paul.
doublev

Post by doublev »

i also hate to say it but i don't think they loose sleep over the fox and ankh make up.
doublev

Post by doublev »

vinnie does it because he likes to own things and have power over people. he uses ownership in in the biblical sense and I am not talking the nice guys in the bible.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Dino speaks the truth. Just make music Vinnie !!! :D :D :D

NEWBEGINNINGS
TheGoodDr

Post by TheGoodDr »

I'm in shock! I can't believe that he would do that!
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Post by strangeways »

Just finished this book.
It was a good read and full of many KISS stories as well as chronicling, through a series of interviews, the life of Eric Carr.

It was a good read.
There were lots of KISS stories.

Of course, the ending was sad.
Gene and Paul really mishandled the way they went about their KISS business when Eric's health was failing.

It was made pretty obvious they and gone behind Eric's back in order to find out how bad off he really was and then pretty much turned their backs on him when it counted.
It would not have been so hard at the time to come out and say that while KISS was taking Eric Singer out on the road Eric Carr IS the drummer in KISS and when he gets better they will put him back in the band

Of course if they did that they would have to keep him on the payroll and stop their health insurance from skyrocketing. I know the good ship KISS was not in the best of health (financially speaking) at the time, but Mr. Carr was certainly a loyal employee of theirs and stood behind them many a time when they didn't deserve it.

This is yet another reason why I have a lot of respect for Vinnie Vincent despite all of his personal issues. Vinnie figured out pretty fast that Gene and Paul were not going to ever do much for him and so he took the cool four million from Chrysalis Records and was off on his own. For all of Eric's loyalty to KISS in the end he didn't end up with them standing behind him when they needed him most (they certainly didn't pay him a whole lot throughout the years he was in the band).

The four people one would want to hear most from in the book are (sort of) understandably absent from it (Gene, Paul and Eric's parents).
"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

All of us agree that Vinnie was very smart for not signing HIS life away. :shock: :shock: :shock:

NEWBEGINNINGS
Brooklyn_Born

Post by Brooklyn_Born »

It's so sad how Gene and Paul handled Erics illness.. They are a major disappointment and are too money focused..Eric was a good guy...
Hey man, I am cool, I am the Breeze...

VVFF Rocks Hard!!!
This is not a Hate Forum Vinnie...Capisce!!?
Brooklyn has almost left the Building
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Gene and Paul certainly could have handled it better. They were super focused on Kiss and making money and did not give Eric the assurances he needed. This stressed him out.

Unfortunately Eric was a worry wart and was pretty much always worried about his status as a member of Kiss. I understand his position but also Gene and Pauls. By 1980 Kiss was a company and when you join a company as a new member you don't always get the keys to the executive washroom.

I would have been fine joining Kiss if I could play the material they wanted, but I'm not as creative as Eric, or especially Vinnie, so I see why they were frustrated. Vinnie left and Eric could have too and tried to go out on his own, but he never did that, nor hinted he wanted to.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I am also a little muddy even after reading the book on Eric's insurance. His girlfriend says it was all fine up until the end.

Gene and Paul talked to Dr's to get the no bullshit version of Eric's illness, which was not a good prognosis. I think they stopped insuring him as a touring member, which makes sense. Being so sick he was not going to tour and keeping him listed raised their premium for no reason. It's like not listing someone as a driver of your car because they don't need to drive it and their record is bad.
Brooklyn_Born

Post by Brooklyn_Born »

I know what you're saying Vic but the band should have been put on hiatus by Gene and Paul while Eric battled his illness and also to demonstrate to him that he had their full support. Instead he had to sit in a hospital worrying not only about his illness but whether he would still be a member of the band had he recovered. I can see why Eric was so upset and ultimately barred Gene and Paul from hospital visits or direct contact... He felt betrayed..
Hey man, I am cool, I am the Breeze...

VVFF Rocks Hard!!!
This is not a Hate Forum Vinnie...Capisce!!?
Brooklyn has almost left the Building
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes he did and they should have reassured him. He was worried about Eric Singer in 89 as well, from Paul's solo tour.