Desmond Child on Decibel Geek Podcast

Talk about Kiss
WizKid

Desmond Child on Decibel Geek Podcast

Post by WizKid »

Legendary songwriter/producer Desmond Child welcomes Chris and Aaron into his studio for an in-depth discussion about his life in music. In this hour-plus talk, Desmond looks back on his early days as a performer in the NY-based disco group Desmond Child and Rouge. This band was a favorite of KISS singer/guitarist Paul Stanley, who used to frequent the band’s live shows. A friendship was struck as well as gold when the two collaborated on ‘I Was Made for Lovin’ You‘, a Top 10 smash that spanned the globe. Desmond’s career in writing/producing took off from there.

In this conversation, Desmond shares his memories of working with some hard rock and metal legends. From his time working with Stanley and KISS on albums such as Animalize, Asylum, Crazy Nights, and Hot in the Shade, Desmond shares his memories of Paul Stanley‘s songwriting process as well as a strained relationship with Gene Simmons over some words said in an interview during the buildup to 1992’s ‘Revenge‘ album.

Desmond Child helped propel Bon Jovi to superstardom due to his collaboration with band on songs such as ‘Livin’ on a Prayer‘ and ‘You Give Love a Bad Name‘ from 1986’s Slippery When Wet album. In this discussion, Desmond sets the scene of a trip to a suburban New Jersey home and the process in which two of the biggest anthems in rock history were born.

Also notable in the hard rock world is Desmond Child‘s work with Boston rockers Aerosmith. Once again, his contributions would make a massive difference in a band’s career; this time in the resurrection of a band that had been long-thought finished. Desmond’s contributions in the form of, most notably, ‘(Dude) Looks Like a Lady‘ and ‘Angel‘ would help 1987’s Permanent Vacation album go on to sell over 5 million copies in the US alone. His collaboration with Aerosmith has lasted ever since with the writing partnership being evident on subsequent albums such as Pump, Get a Grip, Nine Lives, and Music from Another Dimension.

Listen to the interview HERE http://www.decibelgeek.com/wordpress/co ... ild-ep195/
Check out the Decibel Geek Podcast at http://dbgeekshow.blogspot.com/
doublev2

Re: Desmond Child on Decibel Geek Podcast

Post by doublev2 »

Anything on alice cooper?
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Soooooooooo good
One of the best interviews yet.
I now know why kiss didn't release back on the streets.. Had to be the no victim policy.
Bye Bye
WizKid

Post by WizKid »

doublev2 wrote:Soooooooooo good
One of the best interviews yet.
I now know why kiss didn't release back on the streets.. Had to be the no victim policy.
Thanks man! We appreciate you taking the time to listen. We had a blast talking to him.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

He is so interesting. It woukd have been cool to hear about dudes of wrath where he sang with paul
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Great interview! So cool that you got to talk to him, and that he was just as happy to talk to you guys.

I'm wondering about what he said about Kiss not using outside writers and him being banned etc.

There seems to be some confusion.

I'm aware that after the three albums that came before Creatures that Gene stated all keyboard players would be shot, no keyboards etc on this album. I've never seen it said that writers were banned. Creatures itself was full of writers, ha ha!

It was only Lick It Up where just the band got writing credits, no other time in that period, and Desmond wrote with Paul again right after so I'm thinking he's got that mixed up with the keyboard thing maybe.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
WizKid

Post by WizKid »

Genebaby wrote:Great interview! So cool that you got to talk to him, and that he was just as happy to talk to you guys.

I'm wondering about what he said about Kiss not using outside writers and him being banned etc.

There seems to be some confusion.

I'm aware that after the three albums that came before Creatures that Gene stated all keyboard players would be shot, no keyboards etc on this album. I've never seen it said that writers were banned. Creatures itself was full of writers, ha ha!

It was only Lick It Up where just the band got writing credits, no other time in that period, and Desmond wrote with Paul again right after so I'm thinking he's got that mixed up with the keyboard thing maybe.
Gene made the quote about shooting him in an interview around the time HITS was being made. Of course, HITS had a number of co-writes but Des may have been confused.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ah, HITS, yeah, that was littered with co-writes and they were back with Poncia again!! Seems very hypocritical of Gene, though he may have been annoyed at the quality of the two new songs from Smashes, Thrashes. They are not Kiss' best work, but they are ok.
ankh

Post by ankh »

thanks so much for the interview.Great work, guys!

Here's there's another Desmond int, not as good as this one, but still interesting:

http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interviews/desmond_child/
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Vic, You know Lets Put the X in Sex was a hit in the States (mainly a hit in titty bars I think).
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I remember at the time that Smashes sold really well for a Kiss record, which I didn't really understand, but it was obviously a good thing for Kiss, but maybe a downer when HITS and Revenge did not do as well, so looks like all new material wasn't as popular as the old stuff.

X in Sex broke our Top 50 chart, I recorded it on the TV.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Still sucked arse though! But a better song than You Make Me Rock Hard! What a rip off Smashes was! Lucky I got it for a b'day pressie.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I got the really cool picture disc, gatefold version.
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Thanks a lot for this, the Stanley/Child songs were the ones I prefered in the eighties... Great!
say two sky two say fare
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Magnificent.
Easy listening !
Awesome brain picking.
Loved the question about dividing the songwriting credit although he didn't answer it clearly.

How true is the "BOYS ARE MOST LOYAL" comments.
Hence the VVFF.

I love how he starts singing his own songs during the conversation.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
WizKid

Post by WizKid »

Just now saw your response Rick. Thank you!