Ace Frehley - Space Invader

Talk about Kiss
Tobakko

Ace Frehley - Space Invader

Post by Tobakko »

Here's my review of Space Invader I did for Snark At The Moon. Check it out if you are so inclined. Thanks!

http://snarkatthemoon.blogspot.com/2014 ... eview.html
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Ace Frehley - Space Invader

Post by Genebaby »

I like your work man.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Tobakko

Post by Tobakko »

Thanks man.

Post by 1031 »

Seems like you went in with a bit of a Ace chip on your shoulder ... Not a bad review though and in the end pretty much gave the album a B myself. I think the way he did the album is really the only way he can do one. The days of top shelf studios and producers are over, there's really no money to recoupe for the process. But that can be said for a lot of artist these days. So really he was pretty smart doing it at his studio and hiring a engineer then farming out the mastering. All in all I would rather have a B album that is ACE than a A album that really does not represent him.
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I think I like the album less than most people. I'd rather listen to Second Sighting.

I was even more disappointed in the new Tesla album, worse than I thought icy might be. I just can't seem to enjoy the new offerings of old bands.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I just bought SPACE INVADER and have to say that I really enjoyed the first few listens so far. His leads are better produced/directed than on Anomaly.

The last two Ace albums as a whole are very well crafted and solid albums. Great tunes.

He should be in Kiss. They would benefit from having him around.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It would be ultra cool if Ace COULD be in Kiss, but he can't, he's just not together enough to be a reliable member of a band that big.

As much as I would love him to be in it, it would be a catastrophe, as Gene and Paul know. It would be a godsend to them to have Tommy and Eric, they know the songs, they show up, they get out of bed when they need to make the next flight, life would be so much easier.

Being in a band I know how much this would be better than someone who makes life difficult but can be replaced.

It's sad, but it's the way it is.

Ace would be fired from any band he didn't start himself, so he's lucky he's Ace and can get out there and play on his name.
Tobakko

Post by Tobakko »

I never thought about that but it's a good point. Ace would be fired from any band but his own. I don't need him back I KISS. The reunion shows did enough for me. Personally I wish they just quit. But whatever. As for a chip on my shoulder I think there's a little truth there. I tried to be transparent about it while also giving it a shot.
AlanF

Post by AlanF »

Ace just trades on his name and past glories from the LAST millennium. I LOVED him in KISS, but his post-KISS catalogue have been woefully under-achieved considering how good he 'used' to be.

Frehleys Comet 6/10
Second Sighting 4/10
Live + 1 6/10
Trouble Walkin' 7/10
Anomaly 5/10

Trust me, I've been 'generous' on those scores as well.
Tobakko

Post by Tobakko »

Hmmm. I think I would rank Second Sighting above Anomaly but I guess it really doesn't matter. Your not wrong about him milking the past. Ace loves to remind us how people worship him. Sadly it's that inability to honestly interpret the motivation of his hangers on that have held him back.
ozone73

Post by ozone73 »

I'm a huge Ace Frehley fan. Space Invader is definitely not my favorite Ace album. When I need my Ace Frehley fix, I go to his solo album or the Comet stuff. I wasn't too thrilled with Anomaly at first but it has since grown on me. Who knows, maybe Space Invader will do the same over time.
Settle the f*ck down, monkey tits!
Paulie

Post by Paulie »

LOVE the new album outside the totally dumb cover song and "Immortal Pleasures." My first run through this album didn't go very well, as I was hearing stuff I didn't like (fades, overproduced snare, too much reverb in spots, etc), but with repeated listens, the songwriting and Ace's overall performances really do shine. I now love this album as a whole.

Dislike the distortion buried under the vocals, and really hate that EVERY song fades out except the uncensored version of Gimme A Feelin.

But there's tons of ear candy on this album! Tons of licks and little audio bits, spacey echo stuff, it's very Ace to me.

To me, this and Anomaly are the only really listenable post-Kiss Ace releases besides the original Comet demos (which I love).

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I wish Vinnie would release something.

F Gene and Paul,
PAULIE
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Like Tobakko I truly wanted to like this album. The first song that I heard was "Gimme a Feelin" and it was OK and we all discussed it here. Space Invader is OK and to expand further OK means C+ or B- kind of material unfortunately. I pre-ordered this album from Amazon but for whatever reason my copy didn't arrive until Saturday. I drove the old 99 Trans Am this week which only accommodates one CD so I listened to Space Invader a lot this week in the car. I will try to be balanced but the more I listened to it the less that I liked it. It is full of all the same old pentatonic, triplet and chromatic cheese that you expect to hear Ace play for the last 40 something years but to me he is actually playing a little better than he has been over the last 10 years or so but not as well as he played in say 1977. I feel that he is making an effort to raise his game a little bit but the songs really are not strong again I'm sorry to say. Ace to me is better in a collaboration with some one like Tod Howarth, Ritchie Scarlet or Carl Cochran who are more solid musicians. The highlight for me on this album is the solo to Space Invaders at the very end where he is playing fast (for him) on the bridge pick up and then switches to the neck pick up for the short bluesy string bending end.

I really wish there was more to praise and we are genuinely all pulling for him but maybe there was just too much self abuse over too many long years for him to really learn enough new to add to his skill set to make him and what he plays more interesting. Some people bag Yngwie for essentially continuing to make the same album over and over again but at least their is always world class technique happening even if it lacks style expansion and growth. Ace is making the same type of albums over and over without the technique and in many cases weak songwriting. It has true that his voice hasn't changed like Paul's has over the years but that doesn't mean that Ace has a good voice or is a good singer either.

Insanity = Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result

He is an endearing character and I wish good things for him and success but this doesn't work for me.

Kev

Much better recent albums are currently out and available from House of Lords, Stryper, Night Ranger, Steel Panther and Winger.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

To bring VV into the conversation, I listen to this as an Ace album BUT ALSO as a would be Kiss album.

Listening to the song SPACE INVADER fills my penis full of blood when I think of it as a Kiss song.
What a great CHARACTER song.
There are other tunes that Ace stretches out on as far as songwriting. Sure, we recognize and know the same chops BUT that is why we love the guy. I would much rather here Ace rehash his old licks than here TT do it.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

" I would much rather here Ace rehash his old licks than here TT do it."

I couldn't agree with this statement more however I would rather here them with Vinnie, Mark or Bruce before Ace again.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Slayer wrote:" I would much rather here Ace rehash his old licks than here TT do it."

I couldn't agree with this statement more however I would rather here them with Vinnie, Mark or Bruce before Ace again.
I would rather hear:
Vinnie play it like only Vinnie can ... ...but WON'T anymore. PUSS :P
Ace be repetitive.
Bruce CONSTRUCT a nice solo.
Mark buzz.
TT playing bars with the rest of Black-N Blue.

NEWBEGINNINGS
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

Slayer wrote:" I would much rather here Ace rehash his old licks than here TT do it."

if ace is ever back in KISS again, i quit. it wouldnt make sense because paul and gene would have to slow down their playing and then play everything from alive 1 and 2....... FOR THE ENTIRE tour.

no crazy nights etc, nothing else from the 80's because ace cannot play those solos beyond lick it up or heavens on fire.

i saw kiss three times between 2004 and 2009.........totally different set list and costumes. ace would blow a gasket.

and he couldn't lay claim to being the only one with still not using a wig :lol: :lol:
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Ace admitted to being told (by G&P)to wear a piece during the Reunion Tour onward.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

AA1 Wrote
"no crazy nights etc, nothing else from the 80's because ace cannot play those solos beyond lick it up or heavens on fire."

No solo's at all on the studio versions - LOL
starchild78

Post by starchild78 »

I like the album and think that Ace delivered a solid and in parts even a great album. It is good to see, that he is creative again and so determined. However, his work is neither comparable to his work in KISS, nor his own backcatalogue. Furthermore I would like to stress the fact that in my opinion he should have involved more outside musicians, as this would have had a deeper impact on the general sound of the record.

Apart from all the above... He is still able to deliver an impressive job as a guitarist.

I rate "SPACE INVADER" 6/10
desperado

Post by desperado »

i like it and it reminds me A LOT of the old Ace from 30 years ago! hope he keeps cranking them out like this the Rock world needs it
Heavy Metal Cowboy
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i don't mind it. better than the new kiss stuff. nothing is better than his 78 solo for me. I used to love Trouble Walkin and some but not all Frehley's comet stuff.
Bye Bye
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

This Zlad talks about being a space invader at 1.33...
He's got a nice wig too!
[youtube][/youtube]
say two sky two say fare
Sirius

Post by Sirius »

doublev2 wrote:i don't mind it. better than the new kiss stuff. nothing is better than his 78 solo for me. I used to love Trouble Walkin and some but not all Frehley's comet stuff.
this