RARE kiss find...im not joking

Post by AceAlive1 »

[youtube][/youtube]

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: RARE kiss find...im not joking

Post by Genebaby »

In the 80s they used to muck around with covers, for fun I guess. I'd like to see them do that one all the way.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Awesome!

On a side note, I loved that huge KISS logo in the solo album/Asylum cover lips colors!
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

Genebaby wrote:In the 80s they used to muck around with covers, for fun I guess. I'd like to see them do that one all the way.

they'd probably put ratt to shame especially in the solo department
metatron

Post by metatron »

AceAlive1 wrote:
Genebaby wrote:In the 80s they used to muck around with covers, for fun I guess. I'd like to see them do that one all the way.

I doubt that very much.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

metatron wrote:
AceAlive1 wrote:

I doubt that very much.
oh cmon now.......lets not go there. bruce kulick plays circles around most of the music industry.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

AceAlive1 wrote:
metatron wrote:
AceAlive1 wrote:

I doubt that very much.
oh cmon now.......lets not go there. bruce kulick plays circles around most of the music industry.
AceAlive1 from Ohio - I think that Bruce is a great guy personally but he isn't one of the best guitar players to play in Kiss let alone the music industry. In my own opinion of course. :)

I'm not trying to piss you off but for my tastes in Kiss alone I would say that Vinnie Vincent, Mark St. John and Bob Kulick are all better players than Bruce. To give Bruce his due I would say that I think that he plays better than Ace, Paul and Tommy. I think that he played very well on Kiss Alive 3 and Unplugged. I could never compare Bruce's Playing to Warren DiMartini's huge resume of hit songs. Warren especially in the 80's had that LA Phrasing vibe that was similar in some ways to George Lynch who is also a guitar icon in my opinion.

To each there own though and if you think Bruce is all that I say rock out and enjoy yourself brother!
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

AWESOME. They are so rocking cool even back then.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Slayer wrote:
AceAlive1 wrote:
metatron wrote:
AceAlive1 wrote:

I doubt that very much.
AceAlive1 from Ohio - I think that Bruce is a great guy personally but he isn't one of the best guitar players to play in Kiss let alone the music industry. In my own opinion of course. :)

I'm not trying to piss you off but for my tastes in Kiss alone I would say that Vinnie Vincent, Mark St. John and Bob Kulick are all better players than Bruce. To give Bruce his due I would say that I think that he plays better than Ace, Paul and Tommy. I think that he played very well on Kiss Alive 3 and Unplugged. I could never compare Bruce's Playing to Warren DiMartini's huge resume of hit songs. Warren especially in the 80's had that LA Phrasing vibe that was similar in some ways to George Lynch who is also a guitar icon in my opinion.

To each there own though and if you think Bruce is all that I say rock out and enjoy yourself brother!
Spot on Slayer. Exactly how I feel. Bruce is a great player. Warren DiMartini, an insane player, very much like George Lynch.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Also, I think Bruce wouldn't get the chance to 'shine' in KISS (like VV & MSJ) cause one, he'd have the reigns placed on him by Paul & Gene & two, he'd be worried he'd be out of a job.
Also for the record, that comment Paul says is just down right stupid & bitchy. Why would RATT want to play KISS songs anyway. They've got their own awesome songs. Just Paul being a jealous bitch as usual. He hated anyone else being famous. He hate Jon Bon Jovi so much he had a Dart board with Jon's face on it. Now that is fucked up. Paul didn't like Desmond Child being anyone else's girlfriend.
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

ok then...wheres all the fanfare for demartini and lynch when people go "my main influences were (insert names here)" ?

i like both guitarists btw, but it just doesnt seem that in their heyday people were walking around in the mtv crowd name dropping guys in ratt.

and correct me if im wrong, but besides ace frehley and vinnie vincent, were there really ever any guitar players from any group that made a decent splash without going right back to their former band?

even sambora as talented as he is didnt do much solo wise

i'd count joe perry in there,but aerosmith brought him back almost immediately after he was let go.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

AceAlive1 wrote:ok then...wheres all the fanfare for demartini and lynch when people go "my main influences were (insert names here)" ?

i like both guitarists btw, but it just doesnt seem that in their heyday people were walking around in the mtv crowd name dropping guys in ratt.

and correct me if im wrong, but besides ace frehley and vinnie vincent, were there really ever any guitar players from any group that made a decent splash without going right back to their former band?

i'd count joe perry in there,but aerosmith brought him back almost immediately after he was let go.
Hhhhmm, I'm going to have to address this in this manner from my perspective and I 100% acknowledge that it may be heavily California Influenced. In July I will be 48 so I'm older than most of the members here. I have lived in Southern California my whole life and I was a guitar playing young man in the early 1980's. There was a huge club and music scene in Southern California at that time George Lynch, Warren DiMartini and also Randy Rhoads were truly legendary here before they were famous on a National Scale Audience. Many of us here in the early 80's wanted to play like these guys and then obviously Malmsteen and the guys who graduated from GIT (MIT) and the great players who got signed to labels like Shrapnel and Relativity Records. DiMartini and Lynch here were considered great stylists who had a remarkable ability to play a technical and melodic solo in a melodic rock song. Ratt and Dokken both had a bunch of hits within a 5 year period of time while Kiss Music when Bruce joined was good but not memorable at least by comparison in my opinion. After following Vinnie and Mark I don't know of anyone who thought that Bruce was in there league but to each their own.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Bruce did great work in Kiss, possibly within constraints placed on him.

I do see Warren a lot in people's top guitarist lists. I don't ever recall seeing Bruce.

I think Ratt can do that song more justice than Kiss in the late 80's. The solo work is killer and requires a dual attack.
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

I remember going thru the "technical is better" phase in the late 80's. All this talk about who is better is a moot point... some of my favorite Vinnie solos are the ones with absolutely no shredding whatsoever (A Million To One, That Time of Year, Love Kills).

As far as Kiss, Vinnie and Mark (and to a lesser extent, Bruce) were technically better but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a tasty, well phrased solo by Ace and hell, even Paul (A World Without Heroes, Sure Know Something).
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

Slayer wrote:
AceAlive1 wrote:ok then...wheres all the fanfare for demartini and lynch when people go "my main influences were (insert names here)" ?

Hhhhmm, I'm going to have to address this in this manner from my perspective and I 100% acknowledge that it may be heavily California Influenced. In July I will be 48 so I'm older than most of the members here. I have lived in Southern California my whole life and I was a guitar playing young man in the early 1980's. There was a huge club and music scene in Southern California at that time George Lynch, Warren DiMartini and also Randy Rhoads were truly legendary here before they were famous on a National Scale Audience. Many of us here in the early 80's wanted to play like these guys and then obviously Malmsteen and the guys who graduated from GIT (MIT) and the great players who got signed to labels like Shrapnel and Relativity Records. DiMartini and Lynch here were considered great stylists who had a remarkable ability to play a technical and melodic solo in a melodic rock song. Ratt and Dokken both had a bunch of hits within a 5 year period of time while Kiss Music when Bruce joined was good but not memorable at least by comparison in my opinion. After following Vinnie and Mark I don't know of anyone who thought that Bruce was in there league but to each their own.

i grew up in the same southern cal, brother.

just when u were playing guitar, i wasnt born yet :lol:

if this gives you a clue as to how old im not.........i wasnt even born when randy rhoads died.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

AceAlive1 wrote:
Slayer wrote:

if this gives you a clue as to how old im not.........i wasnt even born when randy rhoads died.
AA1, You best listen to your Uncle Kev. Wisdom and success shall be granted if you do. As you have pointed out, HE LIVED IT !!!! :D

I will respectfully inform you of one thing right now: YOU DID NOT GROW UP IN THE SAME SO-CAL !!!!!
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

poserboy71 wrote:
AceAlive1 wrote:
Slayer wrote:

AA1, You best listen to your Uncle Kev. Wisdom and success shall be granted if you do. As you have pointed out, HE LIVED IT !!!! :D

I will respectfully inform you of one thing right now: YOU DID NOT GROW UP IN THE SAME SO-CAL !!!!!

i know.....i grew up in the worst city in america at that time frame....

ever heard of south central l.a. ?

no hair bands in my neighborhood :lol:
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NEWBEGINNINGS
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

poserboy71 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

at the same time, vince neil was growing up in compton...he earns the balls of steel award
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

AA1,
I understand where you are coming from and one of the cool things in life is learning from other peoples opinions, experiences and perspectives. I appreciate your opinion and your vantage point. I'm the youngest of 7 children and learned to love and play guitar from a brother that is ten years older than me. (Steve, for those who follow Facebook) Losing Randy Rhoads in that untimely crash in 1982 (I was 17) for me was much like what it was for my brother Steve to lose Jimi Hendrix in 1970. (Steve was 15) It feels horrible and is such a loss of talent that would have continued on.

More Perspective on Warren DiMartini - If you read through the Archives here you will find that I'm pretty hard on Paul "Ace" Frehley. In short he is a beloved character who had a lot of talent in the early to mid 1970's that unfortunately squandered his musical growth and damaged himself permanently with his over use of alcohol and drugs. Not to offend any Ace Fans here but Ace can't play today as well as he could in 1975 or 1977. Back to Warren who can technique wise play as well currently as he could in the early 1980's but for me he lacks the fire, emotion and enthusiasm that he once displayed. If AA1 is mostly looking at Ratt 2013 in forming his evaluation of DiMartini I can understand some of his perspective. When you look at Ratt in 2013 I'm more impressed with how Carlos Cavazo has grown as a player. In my opinion he was not a top player in the early 1980's when he was the guitar player for Quiet Riot after Randy Rhoads left that band. Carlos over the last 30 years has learned to shred like a mother fucker. With this said Warren was special to many of us for his accomplishments in the 1980's. I like and respect Bruce as he participated but he was never a front runner the way that Rhoads, DiMartini, Lynch,Takasaki, Cusano, Sykes, Watson, Gillis, Campbell, Satriani, Vai and Van Halen were in popular music in the 1980's. For guitar players themselves we were listening to amazing players like Alex Masi, Michael Batio, Greg Howe, Tony MacAlpine, Jeff Kollman, Shawn Lane, Joey Tafolla, Michael Lee Firkins, Marty Friedman, Blues Saraceno, Paul Gilbert and Jason Becker. Youtube Search some of these names and you will have a great time and enjoy yourself AA1. If you decide to listen to some of these dudes some of which you might not have heard of please post and tell us your opinion and what you think.

Kev

[youtube][/youtube]

I think that this song kicks ass and check out Carlos starting at 3:08

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

South Central, Compton? I have heard of those, and not in a good way!!!
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

Slayer wrote:AA1,
I understand where you are coming from and one of the cool things in life is learning from other peoples opinions, experiences and perspectives. I appreciate your opinion and your vantage point. I'm the youngest of 7 children and learned to love and play guitar from a brother that is ten years older than me. (Steve, for those who follow Facebook) Losing Randy Rhoads in that untimely crash in 1982 (I was 17) for me was much like what it was for my brother Steve to lose Jimi Hendrix in 1970. (Steve was 15) It feels horrible and is such a loss of talent that would have continued on.

More Perspective on Warren DiMartini - If you read through the Archives here you will find that I'm pretty hard on Paul "Ace" Frehley. In short he is a beloved character who had a lot of talent in the early to mid 1970's that unfortunately squandered his musical growth and damaged himself permanently with his over use of alcohol and drugs. Not to offend any Ace Fans here but Ace can't play today as well as he could in 1975 or 1977. Back to Warren who can technique wise play as well currently as he could in the early 1980's but for me he lacks the fire, emotion and enthusiasm that he once displayed. If AA1 is mostly looking at Ratt 2013 in forming his evaluation of DiMartini I can understand some of his perspective. When you look at Ratt in 2013 I'm more impressed with how Carlos Cavazo has grown as a player. In my opinion he was not a top player in the early 1980's when he was the guitar player for Quiet Riot after Randy Rhoads left that band. Carlos over the last 30 years has learned to shred like a mother fucker. With this said Warren was special to many of us for his accomplishments in the 1980's. I like and respect Bruce as he participated but he was never a front runner the way that Rhoads, DiMartini, Lynch,Takasaki, Cusano, Sykes, Watson, Gillis, Campbell, Satriani, Vai and Van Halen were in popular music in the 1980's. For guitar players themselves we were listening to amazing players like Alex Masi, Michael Batio, Greg Howe, Tony MacAlpine, Jeff Kollman, Shawn Lane, Joey Tafolla, Michael Lee Firkins, Marty Friedman, Blues Saraceno, Paul Gilbert and Jason Becker. Youtube Search some of these names and you will have a great time and enjoy yourself AA1. If you decide to listen to some of these dudes some of which you might not have heard of please post and tell us your opinion and what you think.

Kev

[youtube][/youtube]

I think that this song kicks ass and check out Carlos starting at 3:08

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

i've heard of most of those, i had a hippie uncle growing up :lol: :lol: i couldnt help but know who they are because i grew up in los angeles which is home to hollywood. public access tv was the shit when i was about 5. stay up til 4am watching wwf, wcw, and 2 hours of rock/ pop videos on one channel.

never said i wasnt a fan of them, i enjoy ratt and even went to see them last time they were in town and they still sound great. carlos cavazo is and always was a great axe man in my book. it was like randy rhoads had been reborn or something.

as big a kiss fan as i am, ace got to a certain level and said "fuck it" which is sad.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Carlos is good when he doesn't compete or try to show off. I believe he lost a lot of his high-end hearing because his stage tone leans heavily towards a harsh,brittle, tone.

When he works his phrasing out, he has great ideas.
When he tries to shred, he plays chromatic garbage.

He is VERY CALIFORNIA . Laid back and a very cool guy. Especially after he and HERB Alpert let the smoke fly. :wink:

Kevin Dubrow is wormfood and still an asshole. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Fuck him

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Warren is technical but tasty. I love the solo in Lay It Down. Round and Round is just a classic of course.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

poserboy71 wrote:Carlos is good when he doesn't compete or try to show off. I believe he lost a lot of his high-end hearing because his stage tone leans heavily towards a harsh,brittle, tone.

When he works his phrasing out, he has great ideas.
When he tries to shred, he plays chromatic garbage.

He is VERY CALIFORNIA . Laid back and a very cool guy. Especially after he and HERB Alpert let the smoke fly. :wink:

Kevin Dubrow is wormfood and still an asshole. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Fuck him
Isn't your buddy Kevin Dubrow propping up daisies taking a dirt nap?
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Slayer wrote:
Isn't your buddy Kevin Dubrow propping up daisies taking a dirt nap?
Dirt Nap= Worm Food :D :D :D :D

Dubrow was such an asshole in life that I'm sure he is still an asshole on the other side.

NEWBEGINNINGS