John Regan discusses Frehley's Comet & More on Decibel Geek

Talk about Kiss
WizKid

John Regan discusses Frehley's Comet & More on Decibel Geek

Post by WizKid »

John Regan is commonly known amongst KISS fans as the bassist for Frehley's Comet but his resume tells a much bigger story. John was nice enough to talk to Chris & Aaron this week about his 30+ year career in the music industry, working with artists such as Ace Frehley, the Rolling Stones, and Peter Frampton.
We start in 1980 with Regan's first meeting with Ace Frehley while collaborating on mutual friend "Crazy" Joe Renda's Variable Speed Band album that featured the quirky Frehley-penned single 'Eugene.' Regan shares how Renda and North Lake Sound Studios in White Plains, NY would continue to be crucial in the advancement of his musical career.

In this long-form discussion Regan shares how he first started working with Peter Frampton in 1982 and the marathon 3 day cram-session to learn Frampton's entire live set. This would mark the beginning of a friendship and musical bond that would bring the two together numerous times over the next three decades.

1985-86 would see Regan working with legendary artists such as David Bowie and Mick Jagger. In this discussion you'll hear his recollections of recording with the two for their 1985 duet of 'Dancin' in the Street' as well as his memories of working with the Rolling Stones during the sessions for the Dirty Work album.

A bit of recording and touring in 1984 with Frehley would lay the foundation that Regan would return to in 1987 as Megaforce Records picked up Frehley's Comet and backed the new lineup featuring Frehley, Regan, drummer Anton Fig, and guitarist/vocalist Tod Howarth. John shares his memories of the recording process for the album and the difficulties that came up after Fig was given the full-time job as the drummer for David Letterman's band.

Regan shares his memories of working with Jamie Oldaker as the legendary drummer took over the drum stool in the Comet. Some Comet fans throughout the years have expressed resentment that Oldaker didn't "fit" the Frehley sound and, in this discussion, you'll hear Regan's reaction to that criticism.

Also in this long-form talk, Regan shares his thoughts on Eddie Trunk and his place in helping get Ace Frehley back into the public consciousness. "I don't think Ace would have got signed if it weren't for Eddie being the real force behind it." Regan shares how Trunk was adamant about Frehley's potential and swayed Megaforce president Jon Zazula to give the former KISS axe-man a shot. He also shares, later in the interview, how he heard that Trunk has been telling Frehley that a Comet reunion would not be a good idea.

Regan also tells us his opinion of Second Sighting and how he thinks the Live +4 album that was shoehorned in between it and the debut may have sabotaged the band's potential growth. John also notes that the absence of Eddie Kramer behind the board may have hindered the album's sound but how there are also some shining moments as well.

1989 saw Frehley release Trouble Walkin'. With Kramer back behind the board and Richie Scarlet replacing Tod Howarth on guitar, the album had a grittier feel than the earlier Comet material and also did not bear the Comet tag. Regan explains why Howarth may have left the group and what went into the decision to not bill this lineup as Frehley's Comet.

We also ask Regan his opinion of claims made by Gordon Gebert in his KISS & Tell book that involve Regan producing Frehley-related live & greatest hits packages as a method for recouping money owed to him by Ace.

Other topics touched on in this hour plus interview include Regan's work with artists such as Michael Monroe and David Lee Roth. We also ask John some listener questions that were sent in.

There's a lot to get to in this discussion and we barely scratched the surface. John was a great sport and we really appreciate him appearing on the show. We hope you enjoy this talk.

Listen Here http://dbgeekshow.blogspot.com/2013/04/ ... regan.html
Check out the Decibel Geek Podcast at http://dbgeekshow.blogspot.com/
PinkWiz

Re: John Regan discusses Frehley's Comet & More on Decibel G

Post by PinkWiz »

Awesome, met him on the Trouble Walkin' tour... super nice guy!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Great, I can't wait to hear this!
Commander in chief - VVF Army
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Guy's... Thanks 4 Another Great Interview !!!
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

We also ask Regan his opinion of claims made by Gordon Gebert in his KISS & Tell book that involve Regan producing Frehley-related live & greatest hits packages as a method for recouping money owed to him by Ace.

I asked JR this when he was in Youngstown with Peter Frampton a few years back. He said that they were TRUE but felt that it was in poor taste that GG wrote it in a book.

I can't wait to listen to this episode.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
ozone73

Post by ozone73 »

I'm listening to this right now. Very cool. I have the video of John busting his ass on stage in London. I think the video starts with Ace filming the hotel, going down to the lobby, the ride to the venue and so on. Very happy you interviewed Tod Howarth as well. I'm a big Frehley's Comet fan. 8)
Settle the f*ck down, monkey tits!
Iceman75

Post by Iceman75 »

Wow! I didn't know how much this guy has done!
ozone73

Post by ozone73 »

Btw ... I just realized the Tod Howarth interview wasn't from Decibel Geek. Still enjoyed it, though.
Settle the f*ck down, monkey tits!
WizKid

Post by WizKid »

Thanks for the feedback guys! Love that you're listening!
Check out the Decibel Geek Podcast at http://dbgeekshow.blogspot.com/
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Eugene is such a funny tune. Ace had some genius for sure
Bye Bye
ankh

Post by ankh »

as always the DG podcast was great.Funny,laidback and very informative,much more than many interviews i've seen or read on the net.Kudos to ya!

Btw,the label John mentioned Ace was gettin a deal with was he Brritish BRONZE label.It was a great label until, according to Lemmy, Gerry Bron's son ( the owner and founder of the label) took over and proceeded to throw the whole label out of business.Ace did even advance some money-prolly for the 3 song demo circulating at the time- and didn't get a refund.

If my memory is correct, John Regan real name is John Della Chiesa, and his family comes from Lipari,a small island in the south of Italy.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Thanks ankh. Was back in italy last week. Not as nice as napoli but still a nice northern town called reggio emillia.
Bye Bye
ankh

Post by ankh »

yw!
Glad you've enjoyed your time there.Reggio Emilia is a nice city,in the region there are many kissfans who contributed to the "Italina Kiss it better" tribute band tour of 12 years ago and many great muscians.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:

doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yeah the region is good. I like bologna too. Naples still a place evertone needs to go before they die.
Bye Bye
ankh

Post by ankh »

yes,ask Lucky Luciano or Miriam makeba...............

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL: