Poserboy's 30th Anniversary COTN

Talk about Kiss
poserboy71

Poserboy's 30th Anniversary COTN

Post by poserboy71 »

February 22,1983 Richfield Coliseum -Kiss - Creatures Of The Night Tour

The story starts in 1979 when my brother ,Michael, was going to see Kiss in Richfield,Ohio on the Dynasty Tour.
I was so upset that I couldn't go. I cried for days before the show.He came home with a t-shirt (which I still have ), a whistle necklace (with that glow-stick shit in it) Hearing the stories from my brother about exploding guitars, blood, fire, flying guitars and Gene flying, how they started the show... ...It blew my mind.

Fast forward to 1983. I was 11 years old and in 5th grade. I knew that my other brother ,Steve,was going to see Kiss. Again, I was so upset that I wasn't allowed to go. For weeks my nerves were shot. Watching the local commercials on Cleveland's channel 43 only drove the nail further into my heart.
[youtube][/youtube]

The day of the show came and I went to school. The thought that I wasn't old enough to go see Kiss consumed me. As soon as I got off the bus after school, I flew into my house to throw on my ripped-up clothes to play in a neighborhood football game. I still have a vivid picture of layering on clothes with the last piece being a dark blue football jersey.It was a generic jersey(I believe it was #11) that looked similar to this:

Steve was the only one home when I got there. He watched me get dressed and stood there as I bitched about not being able to go. He then let the BOOM come down on me. He told me that I WASN'T ALLOWED TO GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY FOOTBALL WITH MY FRIENDS. My heart sunk further. I let him have it.I yelled at him that he wasn't being fair and that he had no right to do that because he was going to see KIss tonight.

While the tears and insults towards my brother were flying, Steve held up the Kiss tickets. It infuriated me even further because I thought he was teasing me. The insults grew until he finally had mercy on me and told me that I WAS GOING TO SEE Kiss WITH HIM AND HIS FRIENDS. In an instant, he became the greatest person alive with me attacking him with hugs and laughter.
I remember my brother's friends being a little less than pleased that LITTLE BROTHER was tagging along.We went to the show. Being that this was my first show EVER, Everything looked HUGE.
The crowd while we walked into the Coliseum was hectic and intimidating. We stopped at one of the T-shirt stands and noticed something different.... ...SOMEONE DIFFERENT. The talk between all of us was that Ace must have changed his makeup.
took our seats in what was called the Coliseum THEATER (because they cut the Coliseum in half because of attendance).We were in the stands basically dead center in front of the stage The guy that was sitting in front of me had a tour book and he let me look at it. This was my first introduction to Vinnie Vincent. That fucking tour book looked so cool and it smelled incredible.

The show starts with the Plasmatics. Tits & tape, mohawks,, sledgehammering a TV, sawing through a guitar...
One can only imagine what my 11 year old face looked like. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Time for Kiss. Total BOMBAST !!!! I remember during DRC , I kept standing and sitting during the part of the song. Each song was delivered with total hunger and conviction. Paul Stanley saying "FUCK" throughout the night He told the crowd that whoever tells you that Kiss sucks, you can tell them to "FUCK OFF". He had the crowd chanting it while the blinding Kiss sign emphasized and punctuated each "FUCK" .
Gene's blood routine was one of his best ever (on recent tours, he has gone back to this very routine with the bell and cowering from the light...)
Eric Carr's drumming was solid and energized. The new guy owned the stage. I didn't feel bad at all that Ace wasn't there. This Vinnie guy was incredible.
The concert ended with the Tank drum riser shooting out the PA Cabinets above the stage .
NOW imagine the same 11 year old kid's face after The Plasmatics being totally annihilated by FUCKING Kiss !!!!
As we were leaving, My brother took me back to the t-shirt stand . I wanted the full color baseball jersey and a tour book but I got the black tour shirt instead. OH WELL. That's like getting a hand job from a hot chick when you wanted a blow job. I believe the shirt was something like $7.00. The shirt is now worn by a big teddy bear that sits on my couch. Sometimes my life-size Bela Lugosi cardboard cutout gets to wear it.
I was so worn out that I fell asleep on the car ride back to Youngstown.
The next day at school, I PROUDLY wore my new shirt as a testament to one of the greatest nights in my life.
Funny thing is, NO ONE BELIEVED THAT I WENT TO SEE Kiss. It makes my memory even sweeter because I saw the band during an era where they last displayed an honest hunger and drive to be the best.

My introduction to Vinnie and his playing only made me want to play guitar more. He still inspires me . Thankfully I have this great memory .
THANK YOU, Vinnie !!!!
These are pictures of Vinnie from this exact concert. My spirit and excitement are in that very same air.

THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
PinkWiz

Re: Poserboy's 30th Anniversary COTN

Post by PinkWiz »

Killer fukn story dude! Yes, the tour books had an awesome aroma! I bet your brother was excited as hell to tell you... AND u got to see Wendy's tits with the Plasmatics! While u were off to see the Wizard with KISS, my mom took us to see David Hasselhoff at a car show in Charlotte in Feb. '83 (KITT was there!)

I don't even think the Creatures tour came anywhere near me, but I finally got to see KISS Xmas'85 on the Asylum tour after years of being denied (starting with being told no for the Alive II tour in Jan. '78).
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Great story Rick. Can you believe its been 30 years? Kiss are back in Australia in a few days, it's hard to imagine how long they've been going, or when they call it a day.

I was too young for the Unmasked tour and then it was 15 years later till they returned, so I never got to see Eric Carr play.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Top 40 Soundtrack to Feb. 22, 1983!

40."I've Got A Rock 'N' Roll Heart" - Eric Clapton
39. "Dreamin' Is Easy" - Steel Breeze"
38. "Tied Up" - Olivia Newton-John
37. "The Woman In Me" - Donna Summer
36. "The Classic Song" - Pia Zadora

35. "I'm Alive" - Neil Diamond
34. "Mr. Roboto" - Styx Extra: "Blue Suede Shoes" - Carl Perkins
33. "Fall In Love With Me" - Earth, Wind & Fire
32. "I Know There's Something Going On" -Frida
31. "Rock The Cashbah" - The Clash

30. "Space Age Love Song" - A Flock of Seagulls
29. "What About Me" - Moving Pictures
28. "On The Loose" - Saga
27. "Breaking Us In Two" - Joe Jackson LDD: "Three Times A Lady" - Commodores
26. "Heart of the Night" - Juice Newton

25. "Maneater" - Daryl Hall & John Oates
24. "One On One" - Daryl Hall & John Oates
23. "Sexual Healing" - Marvin Gaye
22. "Separate Ways" - Journey
21. "We've Got Tonight" - Kenny Rogers and Sheena Easton

20. "Twilight Zone" - Golden Earring
19. "Back on the Chain Gang" - The Pretenders
18. "You Are" - Lionel Richie
17. "Allentown" - Billy Joel
16. "All Right" - Christopher Cross

15. "Heart To Heart" - Kenny Loggins
14. "Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy" - Sammy Hager
13. "Pass The Dutchie" - Musical Youth
12. "Goodie Two Shoes" - Adam Ant
11. "The Other Guy" - The Little River Band

10. "You Can't Hurry Love" - Phil Collins Epitaph To Karen Carpenter "Sing"
09. "Hungry Like The Wolf" - Duran Duran
08. "Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" - Culture Club
07. LDD: "You And I" - Eddie Rabbit with Crystal Gayle
06. "Billie Jean" - Michael Jackson

05. "Africa" - Toto
04. "Stray Cat Strut" - The Stray Cats
03. "Shame On The Moon" - Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
02. "Down Under" - Men At Work
01. "Baby, Come To Me" - Pattie Austin with James Ingram
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

17. "Allentown" - Billy Joel

My favorite BJ song.

NEWBEGINNINGS
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Hmmm, I've never received a BJ to a Billy Joel song? :P
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

PinkWiz wrote:Hmmm, I've never received a BJ to a Billy Joel song? :P
So.............you've given one I guess? :twisted:

Nice story PB.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

shramiac wrote:
PinkWiz wrote:Hmmm, I've never received a BJ to a Billy Joel song? :P
So.............you've given one I guess? :twisted:

. Yes, to "The Longest Time"... :P
AnkhWarrior

Post by AnkhWarrior »

Awesome story :) you lucky bastard
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

always like that vietnam billy joel song but have not listend to it since my last trip to the A&P 15 years ago.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

no no no.. i like 'Pressure' now thats a good tune.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev2 wrote:always like that vietnam billy joel song but have not listend to it since my last trip to the A&P 15 years ago.
Those tunes you have mentioned are all on the same album.
I really like the production on it. I consider it one of BJ's best because of that.
A very special album.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nylon_Curtain

NEWBEGINNINGS
metatron

Post by metatron »

Wow! amazing story I would have love to have seen Rick (the little blood nut) going crazy on that tour. What an introduction to KISS and VV (& the Plasmatics on full tilt) at the age of 11. Insanity!
Thank your brother for me. That sure was a swell thing to do. :D
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

this is VERY fucking cool,man!!! and im glad theres pictures from way back......

the only thing i dont understand is theres tons of pictures from this tour....but not any video from the show i went to in 2004 which had the same basic theme.

low attendance, new guitar player.

its like the show was played in the black hole because no one except me remembers it.....even tho gene almost burned himself alive.
mrblitz

Post by mrblitz »

amazing!

so many of us want a video, and you actually got to see/hear it in person.
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Post by strangeways »

poserboy71 wrote:
doublev2 wrote:always like that vietnam billy joel song but have not listend to it since my last trip to the A&P 15 years ago.
Those tunes you have mentioned are all on the same album.
I really like the production on it. I consider it one of BJ's best because of that.
A very special album.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nylon_Curtain
This is my favorite Billy Joel album.
Cheers!
"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Rick great story but I think I got the wrong end of the stick. If I read correctly you played football .. shit your pants and listened to drc while your brother teased you?
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

I shat my pants in the 8th grade... yes, I was a chick magnet.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

GOD Bless Dino. :D :D :D :D

NEWBEGINNINGS

Post by 1031 »

Great story great memory ... This is the problem with music today kids don't have that memory music connection
its does not matter if the song was great as long as a memory was attached to it. Hell even the memory can be a sucky one but the song is always remembered. This is how songs live long past there due.

Again great story !
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
Shaft

Post by Shaft »

Awesome story Rick. I was at the same show and it was surreal seeing my heroes for the first time as well. Thanks to Scene Magazine I already knew that Ace wasn't there and I was floored by Vinnie so I really didn't miss Ace much at all.

Shoot, I miss the old Richfield Coliseum. Man, if those walls could talk the stories they could tell. As a matter of fact, I have a brick from the old Coliseum in my bedroom!

Ahh, the memories...
Who's the black private dick that's a sex machine to all the chicks?
Who's the cat who won't cop out when there's danger all about?
Who is the man who would risk his neck for his brother man?
John Shaft, damn right!
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

A brick? AWESOME MOMENTO !!!!

NEWBEGINNINGS
Pyromax

Post by Pyromax »

This was the first Kiss concert I went to as well. I remember begging my parents to let me go,
I had to borrow thier car at 16 years old and drive 90 min. to get to the show. I remember them
saying no F****ing way are you going to borrow the car. 6 weeks later I heard.. take the car... crash it ... just get the hell out of here and leave us alone. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Way to nag Pyromax!!
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Pyromax

Post by Pyromax »

It was absoutely the best Kiss concert I was ever at. The energy was raw... I remember when Eric was doing his drum solo that the bass drums and the tank blasts made my heart skip beats they were so loud. Seeing the reunion tour was great as well, but nothing they have done since has ever topped that concert for me. :mrgreen: