seeing how ozzy osbourne went thru guitar players....

Talk about Kiss
AceAlive1

seeing how ozzy osbourne went thru guitar players....

Post by AceAlive1 »

what chance would kiss have had of landing randy rhoads had he never got on that plane?

woulda been awesome i tell you.....perfect timing if he woulda gotta released by ozzy...then joined kiss before the rio show :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

then again, chaim and stanley have a penchant for looking a gift horse in the mouth
Slayer

Re: seeing how ozzy osbourne went thru guitar players....

Post by Slayer »

One of the things that I have read is they didn't like the way Vinnie looked in the line up being that Gene and Paul are 6'2" and 6'0" and Vinnie is 5'7". Randy was a shorter man as well so no matter how good he played they may have had a problem with his height. In one discussion that came up in the last year or so it was mentioned that a very talented African American Guitar Player tried out to replace Ace and again the look of the front line on stage was more important than how well the person played.

These topics have have been mentioned in discussions here and are the beliefs of some but are not proven facts

Kev
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Yeah too short! And as much as I love Randy, Vinnie's a more versatile and well rounded player! But then again, we never got to see "the full Rhoads" sadly!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

Slayer wrote:One of the things that I have read is they didn't like the way Vinnie looked in the line up being that Gene and Paul are 6'2" and 6'0" and Vinnie is 5'7". Randy was a shorter man as well so no matter how good he played they may have had a problem with his height. In one discussion that came up in the last year or so it was mentioned that a very talented African American Guitar Player tried out to replace Ace and again the look of the front line on stage was more important than how well the person played.

These topics have have been mentioned in discussions here and are the beliefs of some but are not proven facts

Kev

so basically kiss are racist........i've seen enough here.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

You know I had the same reaction as you did at first in the previous discussion but others felt it really wasn't about racism as much as they were consumed with having a certain look for their stage show. It could certainly be argued that at one time or another Kiss may have been more about the show and the look than the music? I will leave this here and if your still interested you can explore further and decide what you prefer to believe.

Every one should study for themselves up to their interest level on a subject and then form their own educated opinion. I got a lot of food for thought out of the previous similar discussion.

Best wishes AceAlive1
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Is it in Peter's book where they said "they were worried about having a Chinese looking guy (Ace) in the band?

I don't think they're racists though. But Gene does come accross a bit smarmy when he uses the word Gentile to be honest! :?
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

It was mentioned in the previous similar topic about Vinnie's Height and the Black Guy that auditioned for Kiss when Ace left. Santa brought me the Peter Criss Book and I'm enjoying reading it but I haven't read too far into the book yet as I'm still towards the beginning where he is telling us about his early life with Lydia. Were they concerned that Ace looked too Asian for their preference? WOW! Oh well it didn't keep him from being a founding member of the band and still being their guitar player of 1st choice even now. They can't have Ace so they settle for Tommy!
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

I've always read that the African American guitarist auditioned in '72 before Ace even joined?
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Yes Randy was probably even shorter than Vinnie at around 5'4" and they would've made him dye is blonde hair jet black (unless he joined during Revenge) :) The funny thing is without boots Paul is probably no more than 5'10".
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

PinkWiz wrote:I've always read that the African American guitarist auditioned in '72 before Ace even joined?

OK thanks for that PW!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, they vetoed black and bald guys very early on, as they needed a look, hence Peters first conversation with Gene, "How do you look?"

Bob Kulick played a mean guitar and would have been a great and professional band member but his lack of hair meant he could never be in the band, not at that point anyhow.

So they are not being racist, they just know what they wanted.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Genebaby wrote: Bob Kulick played a mean guitar and would have been a great and professional band member but his lack of hair meant he could never be in the band, not at that point anyhow.
The funny thing is Gene said Bob had hair when he auditioned in the loft but he was chubby with a thick moustache and that's why they went with Ace.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

It was all about image and being a decent player helped.

Randy would NEVER have fit on with KISS, he was given freedom with Ozzy, much like Vinnie wanted, but KISS were established and wanted to keep things a certain way. Ozzy was a clean start band where everyone was able to shine.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I recall seeing a Randy interview where his view of Kiss wasn't exactly flattering.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
mrblitz

Post by mrblitz »

some people say randy was just 'fooling around' in ozzy, and was taken aback when people started saying how great he was. apparently the ozzy stuff wasn't too difficult for randy to play.

other people say that randy was headed for the world of classical guitar in any event.

if randy had lived, my guess is that he would have quit ozzy (to go and do the classical thing) before ozzy would have ever fired him.

anyway, it's tough to picture randy in kiss... way too limiting.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Those Ozzy albums showcase Randy's playing with WORLD CLASS musicians.Compare those two studio albums to the Japanese QR albums. That was Randy playing at the top of his ability at the time.
Randy would have gone on to be a great musician BUT he would have the same celebrity that a player like George Lynch has now.

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Think you may have hit the nail there Rickster!
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

Slayer wrote:You know I had the same reaction as you did at first in the previous discussion but others felt it really wasn't about racism as much as they were consumed with having a certain look for their stage show. It could certainly be argued that at one time or another Kiss may have been more about the show and the look than the music? I will leave this here and if your still interested you can explore further and decide what you prefer to believe.

Every one should study for themselves up to their interest level on a subject and then form their own educated opinion. I got a lot of food for thought out of the previous similar discussion.

Best wishes AceAlive1

i have an educated opinion. i know their manager in the 70's was black etc etc.... and jean beauvior was a session musician with them....but its another thing to actually have someone in the band who isnt white or fair skinned.

its also another thing for someone to pay to meet them like a person of any color would and be smiled and glad handed at.

if bruce springsteen and the stones can have people who arent white in their band....whats kiss' problem? they're even in makeup.
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

mrblitz wrote:some people say randy was just 'fooling around' in ozzy, and was taken aback when people started saying how great he was. apparently the ozzy stuff wasn't too difficult for randy to play.

other people say that randy was headed for the world of classical guitar in any event.

if randy had lived, my guess is that he would have quit ozzy (to go and do the classical thing) before ozzy would have ever fired him.

randy was a classically trained musician by his mother. so when we heard him playing, imagine a symphony playing it. thats what i've heard multiple people in and out of ozzy's band call it and thats why he hasnt been equalled before or since. the only person to ever "copy" or emulate his style to perfection or "fool around" as you put it apparently wasnt good enough for ozzy or anyone else which sucks.

his name oddly enough is randy chambers.

i ONLY wish i could go back in time for 5 hours to about late 1981 to see a full concert with him in it.
mrblitz

Post by mrblitz »

yeah 'fooling around' might not be the right words, but on one of the youtube comments sections for the 'super8 cam' videos, it seemed like some people were basically saying randy was taken aback at the incredible reception to what he was doing.

idk...definitely loved his guitar worked in any event.
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

mrblitz wrote:yeah 'fooling around' might not be the right words, but on one of the youtube comments sections for the 'super8 cam' videos, it seemed like some people were basically saying randy was taken aback at the incredible reception to what he was doing.

idk...definitely loved his guitar worked in any event.

no no, i agree on what ur saying. i was just backing it up.

almost like saying "if you think this is something, wait til i play something hard" to which i agree,man.

i've seen vids of his family....everyone seems VERY humble despite everything. frank hannon from tesla asked dee rhoads to sign his les paul and she was more than happy to do so.

things like that make me feel like good people still do exist in this world
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I wish they'd get a little nasty and "force" Sharon to let Bob Daisley release the stuff he's got of the Blizzard rehearsals! I still find it funny that there is no original Blizzard band footage as well????

Though they are currently suing the guys that just released the Randy/Quiet Riot book?!?!?!
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

shramiac wrote:I wish they'd get a little nasty and "force" Sharon to let Bob Daisley release the stuff he's got of the Blizzard rehearsals! I still find it funny that there is no original Blizzard band footage as well????

Though they are currently suing the guys that just released the Randy/Quiet Riot book?!?!?!

theres footage. people for some reason dont like to release things to the masses. two brothers went to a show and taped the entire thing from different vantage points......all they need to do is get ahold of daisley or aldridge for an audio track, clean it up like kissology and there u have fried gold.

also, daisley has what amounts to guitar work for about 20 more ozzy albums.

i NEVER believed for one second that rhoads didnt record stuff somewhere like tupac or a few other musicians did before they passed.

kevin dubrow also had alot of rhoads material still left......shame no one will ever see it
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Wormfood Dubrow told me that a lot of the footage was stolen when he lent it to VH-1 for a documentary,

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

True VH1 lost/never returned QR footage DuBrow gave them.

Yeah I know about "the brother's" footage and it would be nice if that stuff could be worked out. I was referring to the original Blizzard band and how it's funny there is no footage of it? You know, it was "Ozzy's triumphant return" and there is no footage??? Oh that's right, Sharon HATES Bob and Lee!
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

shramiac wrote:True VH1 lost/never returned QR footage DuBrow gave them.

Yeah I know about "the brother's" footage and it would be nice if that stuff could be worked out. I was referring to the original Blizzard band and how it's funny there is no footage of it? You know, it was "Ozzy's triumphant return" and there is no footage??? Oh that's right, Sharon HATES Bob and Lee!

i thought that was funny too how they didnt start pro shooting til AFTER randy passed.......why be a cheap ass?
KissMyAss

Post by KissMyAss »

mrblitz wrote:some people say randy was just 'fooling around' in ozzy, and was taken aback when people started saying how great he was. apparently the ozzy stuff wasn't too difficult for randy to play.

You are correct. According to his family, Randy was planning to become a classical musician.
Live life as though it is the third law; "to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Rules apply whether we are cognizant of them or oblivious.
metatron

Post by metatron »

shramiac wrote:Is it in Peter's book where they said "they were worried about having a Chinese looking guy (Ace) in the band?

I don't think they're racists though. But Gene does come accross a bit smarmy when he uses the word Gentile to be honest! :?
Gene's kids are Gentiles. And being a good ol' Jew Boy Gene knows this for a fact. Their mother, Shannon Tweed is a Gentile, therefore that makes his kids Gentiles. Gene is a fuckwit. One has to have a Jewish Mother to be considered Jewish.
http://lunaticoutpost.com/Topic-That-s- ... ons?page=3
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.