alternate 1982??

Talk about Kiss
AceAlive1

alternate 1982??

Post by AceAlive1 »

what other directions could kiss have gone?

ace could have stayed if they listened to his rock direction....

eddie van halen could have been the ankh warrior instead and he'd probably still be in KISS.

jake e. lee could have joined :shock: :shock: :shock:

steve ferris....

and the list goes on and on.

thoughts? comments?
PinkWiz

Re: alternate 1982??

Post by PinkWiz »

eddie van halen probably wouldn't have even lasted as long as vinnie in kiss. no way would I want to erase the vinnie/kiss years, but to gene and paul's benefit (and their need for a good employee) bruce would've been their best bet in '82 (would've probably looked just as weird in the ankh makeup as tommy does in the spaceman makeup).
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The turbulence, if it was there from the start, or whatever it was they had really made for some sizzling music. They may have benefited in the long run with a person with more of an employee mindset but I don't think Eddie fit that criteria, he was already so massive he doesn't need Gene or Paul to tell him what to do or how to play either.

Steve or Jake, or anyone good prior to finding fame elsewhere maybe, if they fully understood the world they were getting into, as Eric did, and later Bruce, guys that stayed the distance. Eric singer too when he replaced our beloved Eric Carr.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I think that conflict was needed to make those songs as great as they are on LIU.

I don't believe Gene's story about how Eddie truly wanting to join Kiss. My guess is that it was a spoiled rocker crying about his spoiled frontman. Gene can turn any story into a positive about himself or Kiss.

I think Kiss's best bet would've been continuing with Vinnie for another album and promoting the "guitar god" aspect that other bands were promoting. I think they were too greedy and insecure.
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i would have loved kiss to change guitar players every album. they just would not pay so they couldn't get the best guys. Lynch would have been great replacement for VV if he had freedom to write as well.
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

It appears that, by the 80s, KISS was pretty far away from being an actual "band" in the sense that a group of musicians working together to combine their playing styles to create music. They were an entertainment company that happened to release music and perform concerts. They had musicians on staff hired to play the music placed in front of them.

So, looking at it that way, yeah they could've had a different guitarist every album.

It's still more romantic to think of them as a band working together to create the music from our youth that we still love to this day...but alas, we know that not to be true.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

The Elder- Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley
Killers - Bob Kulick, Ace Frehley, Paul Stanley
Creatures - every guitarist known to man on lead guitar
LIU - Vinnie Vincent, Rick Derringer
Animalize - Mark St. John, Bruce Kulick
Asylum - Bruce Kulick

Hmmmm, sounds like Kiss had a different lead guitarist on pretty much every album in the 80's... :)
erg2

Post by erg2 »

As long as you leave out...
Crazy Nights
Smashes, Thrashes & Hits
Hot In The Shade

...but I'm pretty sure HITS had some guest guitar players on it, didn't it?
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

erg2 wrote:As long as you leave out...
Crazy Nights
Smashes, Thrashes & Hits
Hot In The Shade

It is rumored to have three drummers so...
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

erg2 wrote:As long as you leave out...
Crazy Nights
Smashes, Thrashes & Hits
Hot In The Shade

yes because it was essentially cleaned up demos. tommy thayer is on there but no one is saying where. also eric singer and eric carr.
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I loved HITS when it came out. I never really realized how bad it was sonically because the only means I had of listening was a piece of shit car stereo purchased from Kmart with my earnings as a Jewel box boy or my roached out walkman. I wasn't judging it on it's artistic merits. I was just into college and just started dating my first older chick, so critiquing the albums merits was low on my priority list. Years later when I got a better stereo and my heart had been ripped from my chest by the cruel, red-headed demon, I gave it a real listen. I realized it was not KISS's best effort but there was still some stuff on there I liked.

And I don't care what anyone says, I think FOREVER is a well crafted pop ballad.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

erg2 wrote:I loved HITS when it came out. I never really realized how bad it was sonically because the only means I had of listening was a piece of shit car stereo purchased from Kmart with my earnings as a Jewel box boy or my roached out walkman. I wasn't judging it on it's artistic merits. I was just into college and just started dating my first older chick, so critiquing the albums merits was low on my priority list. Years later when I got a better stereo and my heart had been ripped from my chest by the cruel, red-headed demon, I gave it a real listen. I realized it was not KISS's best effort but there was still some stuff on there I liked.

And I don't care what anyone says, I think FOREVER is a well crafted pop ballad.

Basically my thoughts too! I remember being excited picking up the cassette in 89'!

P.S. I didn't date the same older woman as you! I think...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I exclusively dated insane women in college. I'm not sure how I managed to pick them out of the crowd, but I was sure good at it. After a string of women that stalked me after we broke up or did terrible things to themselves whenever I'd try to break up with them, I swore of dating for about 2 years. Then I met my wife...she's only about 85% nuts.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
Skwint

Post by Skwint »

erg2 wrote:I exclusively dated insane women in college. I'm not sure how I managed to pick them out of the crowd, but I was sure good at it. After a string of women that stalked me after we broke up or did terrible things to themselves whenever I'd try to break up with them, I swore of dating for about 2 years. Then I met my wife...she's only about 85% nuts.
you got off lightly - i thought mine was 'normal' - that didnt last - lol
Cruisin' downtown, Shakin' her love, Is that babe talkin' to me, Felt my heart drop, Women can't stop, Girl has got me on my knees, Baby baby babe don't make me wonder, Won't you let me in, She said - see you later, Shot down, I'll be back again
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

erg2 wrote:I exclusively dated insane women in college. I'm not sure how I managed to pick them out of the crowd, but I was sure good at it. After a string of women that stalked me after we broke up or did terrible things to themselves whenever I'd try to break up with them, I swore of dating for about 2 years. Then I met my wife...she's only about 85% nuts.

85% ?!?! thats enough for her to get drunk and call the police saying you hit her...

or stalk you or anything else :lol: :lol:
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Nah, she'd have to be 86%. Just under the buzzer.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

erg2 wrote:Nah, she'd have to be 86

You went out with Maxwell Smart??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Maxine
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

erg2 wrote:Nah, she'd have to be 86%. Just under the buzzer.

well my one ex is the firm exception to the rule :lol: :lol: :lol:
Skwint

Post by Skwint »

Actually being a dick we have been together 9 years and married next year
Cruisin' downtown, Shakin' her love, Is that babe talkin' to me, Felt my heart drop, Women can't stop, Girl has got me on my knees, Baby baby babe don't make me wonder, Won't you let me in, She said - see you later, Shot down, I'll be back again