MONSTER - Your thoughts/Review

Talk about Kiss
TheGoodDr

MONSTER - Your thoughts/Review

Post by TheGoodDr »

I picked this up today from my local JB HiFi for $20.00. Haven't had a chance to listen to as yet, but when I do, I'll post my thoughts. It would be cool to read everyone's comments (those who buy it of course) over the coming weeks :)
shramiac

Re: MONSTER - Your thoughts/Review

Post by shramiac »

I hope it's better than Steve Harris' British Lion!!! And it really pains me to say that!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
TheGoodDr

Post by TheGoodDr »

Just finished my first listen and initial thoughts.....it's far better than Sonic Boom! In fact, it's hard to really describe it as sounding typically KISS. Sure, there's a song here and there that has elements of what one would consider the staples of a KISS song (Take Me Down Below), but by and large, it certainly lives up to Paul's hype of being a "Rock n Roll" record.

Back to the Stone Age is my fav Gene song. I'd even go far as to say that those of you who shave your balls on a regular basis, the next time you're due to polish the jewels, stick them in between a pair of speakers and blast them with this song.

Tommy's Outta this World has him performing as the Space Man to perfection. IMO, I think Tommy is channelling Ace Frehely better than Ace has been channelling himself in the past couple of years.

Eric does an admirable job with All for the Love of Rock & Roll. Lyrically it is goofey, but sung by the Cat Man, this fits in with his 'character'.

At this stage, none of the Paul Stanley sung songs are memorable. Sure I've only had the one listen, but I'm afraid Paul has become my least favourite vocalist of the band. I wish he would sing within his (obvious) limitations now that he's much older.

Look, I enjoyed my first spin of this record and time will tell how many of the tunes grow on me. It certainly reminded me of my younger days in that I was genuinely excited having listened to it for the first time.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Cool, I heard this avo that JB apparently had it early, good to see its true, I'Il get one tomorrow, I'm off work and taking the kids out.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

My main issue is AUTOTUNE.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

TheGoodDr wrote: It certainly reminded me of my younger days in that I was genuinely excited having listened to it for the first time.

That was the main reason I bought Sonic Boom... for that giddy, 13 year old excitement of hearing new Kiss tunes. Listened to it once or twice then put it away. Sonic Boom (and the samples I heard from Monster) just sound like they're recording an album just for the sake of recording an album. No hooks that really catch your ear... just kinda... there.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

The Eric Singer tune is catchy. Sounds like it should be a single. Very CATMAN/Peter Criss-like.

NEWBEGINNINGS

Post by 1031 »

Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

So far...I wouldn't let my dog shit on it !!!
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

poserboy71 wrote:My main issue is AUTOTUNE.
Ugh, it's almost distracting on the two tracks I listened to...
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

PinkWiz wrote:
poserboy71 wrote:My main issue is AUTOTUNE.
Ugh, it's almost distracting on the two tracks I listened to...

Exactly. Very distracting.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, I'm not really digging it. It's must missing something, it sounds like they are trying too hard to sound a certain way.

They need to lose the "we can do it all ourselves" attitude as it's clearly not working. Outside writers and direction are needed here. Doesn't have to be Vinnie, which would be best, but please, get SOMEONE!
erg2

Post by erg2 »

It's better than what me or my band could record, but the statement that "there's something missing" is right. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's like the album cover. If you catch a glimpse of it in your peripheral vision it seems cool...but when you look closely, it's crap. The songs seem kind of cool at first. They have the vibe of songs from '74-'84 if you listen casually, but when you listen critically you start picking up that the vocals are thin, the mix doesn't have doesn't have that punch in the gut a producer like Eddie Kramer brings and lyrically it's all kind of uninspired.

It's a shame because I think the ingredients are there for 2 really good songs. (Although I think the Singer song would wail with Peter Criss on vocals.) I have my copy pre-ordered. It should arrive on Tuesday.
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

whats the sound of autotune? sorry no idea what it is.
Bye Bye
Rap Man127

Post by Rap Man127 »

Picked up my copy earlier today, and I cant see what most of the criticism is aimed at, I think that Hell or Hallelujah was a real poor choice for 1st single, and that some of Pauls songs seem to be the worst from the album.

That being said there not bad songs, there just not a Love Gun or Detroit Rock City, but who was really expecting they were going to be?

1. Hell or Hallelujah was a decent song, pretty up beat, but again poor choice as 1st single.
2. Probably for me, one of the absolute best songs from both Sonic Boom or Monster was Wall of Sound, awesome Gene song, great vocals and quite catchy.
3. Freak was probably one of the strangest songs on the album, doesnt sound like Kiss to me, but still sounded like a great rock tune, probably one of Pauls strongest songs on the album.
4. Back to the Stone Age I think is absolutely fantastic also, Gene really brought it in my opinion for this album, awesome sing-a-long chorus, and I love anthemic songs.
5. Shout Mercy I think was pretty forgettable, I think thats what most peoples criticism is aimed at, Paul doesnt seem to be as inspired as he was for Sonic Boom.
6. Long Way Down was better, but not a home run either.
7. Eat Your Heart Out seems to be some peoples preffered tune thus far, but again I cant really see the fuss, not good, not bad, but not Kiss worthy.
8. The Devil is Me I was quite disappointed with actually, with all the fuss it was getting with other musicians I thought it was going to be the next "Gene" song, i.e. God of Thunder, Unholy, War Machine or I Love it Loud, but to be honest I enjoyed Im an Animal more than this. A decent song, but maybe I went into it with high expectations.
9. Outta this World was actually very good, just like When Lightening Strikes, Im constantly impressed with Tommys vocals and guitar work lately.
10. All for the Love of Rock and Roll although slightly corny when it comes to the lyrics, was quite catchy and Eric performed very well vocally.
11. Take me Down Below I thought was another pretty good song, this to me sounds the most "classic Kiss sound".
12. Last Chance was also I think was a standout for the album, very good song, upbeat and good tempo, catchy chorus and Paul did very well vocally, on this song more than the others he seems to be accepting his limitations more and singing more wisely.

As for the singles, I think Wall of Sound should of easily been the 1st single, the only reason I believe that it wasnt, its kind of a theory that I have that Paul wants to release songs that have him as the vocalist so people really believe that he still is the lead singer for the band when in actual fact him and Gene now share the lead vocalist title. Take Sonic Boom as an example, 3 songs released as singles, Modern Day Delilah, Say Yeah and Never Enough, all sung by Paul and definately the last one was a poor choice, would of chosen Im an Animal over Never Enough.

Sorry for rambling, back to Monster, the 2nd single should be in my opinion either Back to the Stone Age or Last Chance, and then the 3rd and last single would be a toss up between Outta this World, Freak or All for the Love of Rock and Roll, any would be great.
erg2

Post by erg2 »

My reviews so far are for the 3 songs I have heard. Not the entire album. In general, I just don't think the production sounds great. The guitars don't sound very "thick". (I know I'm not using the right terminology, but that's the best way I can describe it.) And the vocals seem to "sit on top of" the music instead of being part of the song.

I really liked the cover for Sonic Boom...but this cover for Monster looks like a college level graphic design assignment that scored a B+. It's OK, but the lighting and textures are off. It's low cost for a top-tier band like KISS and listening to the production sound on the 3 songs I've heard...that's kinda how they sound. Low cost.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Thanks for the reviews .
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

doublev2 wrote:whats the sound of autotune? sorry no idea what it is.
[youtube][/youtube]
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

NEWBEGINNINGS
erg2

Post by erg2 »

poserboy71 wrote:Image
Ya beat me to it...I was just about to post this.

This kinda makes up for how lame the 2D version looks.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

weird. still the graphics are awful in my opinion.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

If it only went 360 degrees. 8) 8) 8) 8)

NEWBEGINNINGS
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Post by strangeways »

After seeing on various boards that Monster was being sold in some stores already I went to my local indie store and there it was.
Grabbed it up and have listened to it twice all the way through.
Here are some of my thoughts on the whole thing.

First off I HATE the cover art as well as the title (much in the same way I hated the title and cover art for Sonic Boom).
Having said that I totally dig the booklet that comes with Monster. Good stuff.

Now for the tunes!

- Hell or Hallelujah 9/10
An excellent way to open the album. A great Paul song and really kicks things into overdrive.

- Wall of Sound 8/10
A great Gene song! Really fun to rock out to. Idea for stage show - when band kicks into this song a huge Wall of speakers should come up from behind the band much like they did during King of the Nighttime World on the Reunion tour.

- Freak 4/10
Yuck. The first clunker of the album. It just does nothing for me at all.
I hear Lady Ga Ga was interested in this song.
It's the only thing that might have saved this thing and I'm not even a Lady Ga Ga fan!

- Back to the Stone Age 7/10
Not a bad Gene tune.

- Shout Mercy 6/10
Not a bad Paul tune, but not a great one either.
I don't mind the 'whoo whoo' thing they do on this tune.

- Long Way Down 7/10
I dig this tune. It's got a nice little riff going and Paul does well on it.

- Eat Your Heart Out 6/10
The a capella stuff is a nice twist on this one, but overall it sorta runs outta steam.

- The Devil Is Me 8/10
A killer Gene tune.

- Outta This World 7/10
Good Tommy tune and one that should be done live.
Both this one and Eric's tune should get moved up in the track listing.

- All For The Love of Rock n Roll 7/10
What a fun catchy Eric tune! Should be performed live for sure!

- Take Me Down Below 7/10
This song is so goofy I can't help but like it!

- Last Chance 5/10
Doesn't do much for me.

So there you have it! Not a great Kiss album, but a good one.
Gene should be fined every time he compares a new album to Destroyer + Revenge that's for sure.
The overall production could use some work. Paul really shinned on Sonic Boom - more so than here.
The band should not bury the Tommy and Eric tunes.
I would've put them higher up as well as changed a few other things to make the album flow a bit better.
Sonic Boom is a better album for sure, but this is not a bad Kiss album. It's just not a great Kiss album.

I would've set the track listing like this...

Hell or Hallelujah
Wall of Sound
Back To The Stone Age
Long Way Down
The Devil Is Me
Outta This World
All For The Love of Rock n Roll
Shout Mercy
Eat Your Heart Out
Take Me Down Below
Last Chance
"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, the 3D one is more interesting.

I listened to this quite a bit in the car today and it hasn't grown on me.

They should try to be the best band they can with the current members, not try and make Rock And Roll Over again and again.

They didn't make Eric drum like Peter or Vinnie play and write like Ace and the results were stellar.

With that in mind, there is no point getting outside help if they don't want to be their current best.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I have only heard the 3 leaked songs but I think that Hell or Hallelujah is solid but not great, Long Way Down is an ok song and the Eric Singer Song is what most are saying much better than his song on Sonic Boom but not a style of a song that attracts me. Basically I want to give credit to Eric for this song even though it doesn't work for me. So I'm not motivated to make a special trip to go out and buy this but I will eventually get a copy if I happen to be some where it's in front of me or I may pick up a used copy online in a few weeks.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I didnt even buy revenge so I doubt I will buy this.
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Genebaby wrote:
They didn't make Eric drum like Peter or Vinnie play and write like Ace and the results were stellar.

With that in mind, there is no point getting outside help if they don't want to be their current best.
bout sums it up...
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Like I told You..."SAVE" your hard earned $$$$$ This album is pathetic, The Elder had way more to offer than this !!!!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

They will never meet that hights of do you love me, I love it loud, stutter. i stole your love, ny groove, trial by fire, creatures of the night or come on and love me.
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

doublev2 wrote:They will never meet that hights of do you love me, I love it loud, stutter. i stole your love, ny groove, trial by fire, creatures of the night or come on and love me.
True, but that doesn't mean that these new songs have NO value. I quite like the new Eric Singer song. I'm very conflicted about it. I HATE HATE HATE the fact that he wears the Peter Criss make-up. (It's NOT the "Cat-Man" make-up, it's the Peter Criss make-up!) But the song is solid...I think it would be amazing with Peter singing the lead.

I expect my copy to show up today or tomorrow from Amazon.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

guys i threw in 'trial by fire' so you guys would think I am out to lunch but i suppose it was too well hidden.
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

doublev2 wrote:guys i threw in 'trial by fire' so you guys would think I am out to lunch but i suppose it was too well hidden.
:lol: I thought that was random... Cadillac Dreams would've been more obvious.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev2 wrote:guys i threw in 'trial by fire' so you guys would think I am out to lunch but i suppose it was too well hidden.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, Cadillac Dreams would have hit it out of the park.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

I havent heard the album but that is an awful album cover. It looks like it took them 2 seconds to come up with that concept.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Credit where credit is due. I'm betting there was a good minute or two involved in the cover concept.

Probably another five to take the photo too.
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Now seeing the "3D" cover, it looks to me like they created that first and flattened it down to make the non-3D version. It sort of works as the 3D. But overall it's just a weak green-screen, Photoshop effort.

You'd think for something landmark like your 20th album...something that is going to be around for years to come...you'd go all out. You'd build an actual set. This looks like the leftover art thrown together hastily for a quickie release of a third single that nobody was really expecting to release.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
erg2

Post by erg2 »

MY REVIEW

Yesterday my Amazon shipment arrived and I am now the proud owner of KISS's 20th album, "MONSTER". Did I just say "proud"? Yes I did. Why? There are actually some good songs on this album. Not all. Believe me, there are some turds for sure. There is a lot of mediocrity and that's sad because there are songs on here that feel like they are very close to being great, but they just can't get enough altitude. Do you like repetition? There are SO many songs on this album that re-use lyrics from SONIC BOOM that it almost becomes a drinking game.

Essentially there are 4 songs on this album that break the mold, show creativity and spirit:
BACK TO THE STONE AGE
SHOUT MERCY
OUT OF THIS WORLD
ALL FOR THE LOVE OF ROCK AND ROLL

Here are my impressions song-by-song-

HELL OR HALLELUJAH:
This is not a terrible song. It gets the job done as an up-tempo opening track. It doesn't break any new ground or provide anything fresh. I feel like this song wants to make a statement, but the statement is as unclear as the riff. I don't hate this song. I'll listen to it if it comes on shuffle on the iPod, but I doubt I'll ever seek it out intentionally.

WALL OF SOUND:
The generic Gene "heavy" song that gets trotted out on every KISS album. Not unpleasant to listen to. Totally forgettable.

FREAK:
This song had so much potential. There are a couple of parts that are fun and clever. However, the majority of the song sounds like generic KISS song #532. I think working this song with a top-level songwriter or producer could've resulted in great underdog anthem. Fine, but unremarkable as is.

BACK TO THE STONE AGE:
HO-LEE-SHIT!?!?! Why wasn't this song the lead single? This song is everything that KISS is supposed to be. Fun. Raw. Powerful. Rocking. Punchy. Clever. Everything is working on this track. The backing vocals are great. Gene is having a great time and it sucks you right in. It's a short track, but all the better for it.
To answer my question above as to why this wasn't the single? I think it's clear that HoH is far more representative of the music featured on MONSTER. But I think this song would've surprised rock radio and maybe even some other mainstream outlets. If you are avoiding buying this album, just go to iTunes and buy this track. You'll thank me.

SHOUT MERCY:
This is a great track of Paul Stanley doing what he should be doing. Writing a great track that is catchy, sounds like KISS but doesn't sounds like the same damn song you've heard a dozen times already. The rasp in Paul's voice actually seems to work with the song here. Cool guitar work. It definitely gets your head bobbing.

LONG WAY DOWN:
A lot of people are praising this song. I'm torn by it. It kinda doesn't sound like a KISS song. There are moments when it feels great. There are parts that feel lost and plodding, too. Real soupy and mushy. Almost like they couldn't figure out what to do, so they filled in some space to get to the good parts. Paul's voice...or lack of voice...really drags this song down. If this were 1984 and Paul was really belting this out full Starchild mode, the rest of the problems with the song would probably melt away.

EAT YOUR HEART OUT:
This is an interesting effort by Gene. It's one that comes close to being great but just doesn't quite get there. It starts off with this really cool a capella vocal that harkens back to Humble Pie. Then Gene proceeds to wholesale insert entire lyrical sections of previous songs...and not famous ones. I can't decide if he's being ironic or lazy. The chorus is fun, but the break doesn't quite work. It feels like this song wasn't ready to record but they did it anyway and it came out above average.

THE DEVIL IS ME:
This song is shit.

OUTTA THIS WORLD:
This is a great sounding, almost power-pop rock song by Tommy. Vocally sounding pretty good. A lot like Gene in EAT YOUR HEART OUT, Tommy steals entire lines of lyrics from WHEN LIGHTNING STRIKES. The guy only has 1 song in his repertoire and he already plagiarizes it? Apart from that, I think this song is a lot more consumer friendly than his last outing and I think I liked it more the second time I heard it. I'm looking forward to the third. (It's driving me crazy that this scab has done good twice now...)

ALL FOR THE LOVE OF ROCK AND ROLL:
This song is great, but it makes me sad. It was written clearly as a "Peter Criss type" rock song. It could've easily fit on his LET ME ROCK YOU solo album. It would clearly sound twice as good with Peter's real rasp instead of Singer's imitation. But it is what it is and what it is, is good. Really quite good. For years we have only been given the "metal" or "hard rock" version of KISS and we forget that KISS had several songs that were more conventional rock. I enjoy hearing Gene and Paul playing in this style again. It's a well written track that is musically well performed and vocally not fucked up.

TAKE ME DOWN BELOW:
Seriously? This song is an insult to the intelligence of all who listen to it. I have lost 2 IQ points for having heard it. THE DEVIL IS ME suddenly sounds a lot better...

LAST CHANCE:
This song deserves to be last. Not because it is bad, but because it is so utterly bland. Completely unremarkable. It is a KISS song in every sense of the stereotype of the last 25 years. Lyrically. Musically. If you're still listening after the goober-fest which was TAKE ME DOWN BELOW, then you'll probably make it through LAST CHANCE...but it will be the last time I listen it.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I like your review.
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Genebaby wrote:I like your review.
Thanks!
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
Kisstrooper

Post by Kisstrooper »

Played the album and gave it my best effort to like it...

Um... glad i downloaded it free....i expected something but i didnt get it, its bland and the guitars dont seem to have balls.

FULL THROTTLE, Newcastle's Finest Rock Band
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

whats this cover ? Image
Bye Bye
Rap Man127

Post by Rap Man127 »

doublev2 wrote:whats this cover ? Image
A better one
Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life. Get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life!!!
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Looks like fan art...and it's sad when fan art is better than the official art.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Kisstrooper wrote:Played the album and gave it my best effort to like it...

Um... glad i downloaded it free....i expected something but i didnt get it, its bland and the guitars dont seem to have balls.
There is a LOT of bland...or as I called it "filler"...on this album. But I'm curious, is that not even a single song that you could get into even a little? I went into this album with the worst of attitudes. I am not an Eric Singer in KISS fan at all. But there are 4 songs on the album I found myself liking. And of those 4, I found myself LOVING one of them immensely.

I'll give you that the production/recording quality seems to be below par. (I find that hysterical after recently reading an interview with Eric Singer where he dismisses CARNIVAL OF SOULS because it does not have a "big" enough sound...as if THAT'S the problem with CoS!) But I think Gene really pulled some songs out of his ass on this album. It's a shame they got wasted on Tommy and Eric.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Unfortunately this is so true.
I don't expect anymore as its never going to happen.
AshesToAshes

Post by AshesToAshes »

I don't know if I even want to get this album after hearing the first single but these reviews make me curious to hear it (or at least the good songs).
ankh

Post by ankh »

yawn and snoreville,for me.It is so predictable, i could even hum the passages before i've heard them-and that was the first listening.I wasn't expecting something extraordinary or out of the way, but at least something a bit more inventive and fresh sounding,you know? It seems tha t Kiss is taking the same road maiden did....recycling their riffs from the past and put them into a mixer and voilà-new record.. :roll:

The mix is typical of today's cds standard, overcompressed for radio purpose.Yuck. :roll:

Luckily,there's so much great new music around............
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, I'm not listening to it any more. I don't even like the Eric tune that most people seem to.

I will try and play the songs they do live to my daughter so she knows them when we to see them.
Rap Man127

Post by Rap Man127 »

Take me Down Below has grown on me immensely, such an awesome sing-a-long chorus despite the lyrics being a bit........dirty. But thats Kiss! I wouldnt want it any other way.
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Genebaby wrote:I don't even like the Eric tune that most people seem to.
And I'm not saying that everybody should like the songs that I like. Diversity is what makes the world go around. I've personally never understood the outright dismissal of things. I listen to the Adam Carolloa Podcast a lot and he HATES all 80's music. He plays snippets and calls it garbage. I think, instead of focusing on the Casio keyboard and the limited studio recording technique, why not focus on the positive aspects? What about the melody of the song makes it so enduring? What about that Gwen Stefani song that is so "irritating" yet makes it stick in your head? Is it the drum track? I'm really fascinated with trying to find out what works in songs and what doesn't. And I find it strange that people can sometimes not find pleasure in music, even when it's not the greatest music. I can enjoy a Burger King hamburger even though it's not as good as a gourmet burger.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies