Monster - The Album

Talk about Kiss
Genebaby
Site Admin

Monster - The Album

Post by Genebaby »

It's getting closer and Dave Snake Sabo has heard it and says it's really, really good. Something llike that. He liked it a lot anyways. :D
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Iceman75

Re: Monster - The Album

Post by Iceman75 »

I will buy it at Walmart. :)
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

damn i thought maybe Safeways had the exclusive.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i can not imagine with the line up they have it being an amazing record. If they said Lynch, Friedman or some killer guitar player was involved then I may get excited, but who knows.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Monster - The Album

Post by Genebaby »

I am excited for now. When I hear it I'll see what I think against their other stuff.

My hopes are high though.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

yeah. it could be good. I would like to have seen some outside writers to give me hope but who knows. I didnt by the walmart album.
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I like Sonic Boom. It's far from my favorite KISS album, but they finally got away from trying to be BON JOVI or whoever else was hot at the moment and focused on being themselves musically. I like the production of it.

Modern Day Delilah was a good rock song. Say Yeah at a different time could've been a hit. It lacked a real heavy, barnburner song though. Maybe they will correct that with MONSTER?
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen

Post by 1031 »

I would think this would be an all in effort Gene is almost 64 Paul is 60 this may be the last Kiss album maybe one more if it comes in the next three years. But it was 11 years before sonic boom.
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
erg2

Post by erg2 »

1031 wrote:I would think this would be an all in effort Gene is almost 64 Paul is 60 this may be the last Kiss album maybe one more if it comes in the next three years.
I was thinking the same thing. They have stated that "THE TOUR" is going to be worldwide and will last up to 2 years. (I didn't think they did that kind of run anymore.) Gene will be 66 years old. Will he be up to another album and another tour? If he is, I REALLY hope it's his last. I love KISS but with each tour Gene's costume becomes more and more padded to hide the fact that he's getting old, bald and chunky. It's turning the original cool concept into something increasingly cheesier each year.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yeah, health my not hold up to do another one.
Bye Bye
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

erg2 wrote:I like Sonic Boom. It's far from my favorite KISS album, but they finally got away from trying to be BON JOVI or whoever else was hot at the moment and focused on being themselves musically. I like the production of it.

Modern Day Delilah was a good rock song. Say Yeah at a different time could've been a hit. It lacked a real heavy, barnburner song though. Maybe they will correct that with MONSTER?
I agree, on that same note Im hoping its Gene's songs that can stand a little forward on Monster. His songs on SB were simply o.k, they were missing something I cant quit explain . Paul's songs on SB were more solid to the sound that is KISS. If MONSTER is as thunderis as they " hype " it to be then, Im sure Gene will have a good one ( or 2 on it ! ) Part of the problem for me is KISS have been hyping there stuff from day one and say the same thing every time, " This is if not better then Destroyer .... bla bla bla." NO Paul & Gene Hot In The Shade SUKED ASS PERIOD !!!
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

jesternjeff wrote:
erg2 wrote:...Im hoping its Gene's songs that can stand a little forward on Monster. His songs on SB were simply o.k, they were missing something I cant quit explain . Paul's songs on SB were more solid to the sound that is KISS.
In my opinion, you got this backwards.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

poserboy71 wrote:
jesternjeff wrote:
erg2 wrote:...Im hoping its Gene's songs that can stand a little forward on Monster. His songs on SB were simply o.k, they were missing something I cant quit explain . Paul's songs on SB were more solid to the sound that is KISS.
Do tell ?
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Gene's songs were more CLASSIC Kiss sounding than Paul's.

NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

poserboy71 wrote:
jesternjeff wrote:

I'm with R.E.S. on this one as I also thought that Gene's Songs were better than Paul's. Delilah and Dangerous we decent Paul Songs but Russian Roulette, Hot & Cold, Nobody's Perfect and Animal were very strong on Sonic Boom. I didn't like the Eric Singer Song but I thought Lightening Strikes by Tommy Thayer was actually pretty good. Gene Simmons Animal is the best song for me on Sonic Boom (Real Heavy) and the only thing that I really hated was the fact that Tommy Thayer plays nothing but Ace Frehley licks for solos. I would have liked to see Kiss move forward and for Tommy to play in whatever style is his. I actually have no idea what Tommy Thayer's real style is as I was not a Black n Blue Fan. Maybe things will change for Monster but I doubt it. Snake Sabo thinks that it sounds good for whatever that is worth.

Kev
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

EXACTLY what Kev said!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

Animal compared to God Of Thunder, not a chance ! Russian Roulette compared to Watching you ... you people are out of your mind. Hot & Cold compared to Two Timer ... really ? Do I have to point this out ??? Songs like Modern Day , Say Yeah can be placed on any classic Kiss Album and would stand the test of Kiss sounding. Genes songs wouldn't hold ground . I mean there better then anything from Unmasked and Animalize, Crazy Nights and most defiantly Hot In The Shade. IM REALLY hoping the stuff he does on Monster will be equivalent to what he did on COTN or LIU ..... TRUE GENE-IUS SONGS !
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

This is the way I hear it :
The newer song and the older albums they could've been on----

Animal,Yes I Know (Nobody's Perfect) - Love Gun

Russian Roulette-Asylum

Hot & Cold, Danger Us-RNR OVER

MDD - Revenge

Say Yeah, Never Enough- Crazy Nights
Stand-Psycho Circus

I'm not too keen on Singer's or Thayer's spotlight songs on the album.
Gene's material sounds very 1970's while Paul is mostly backstroking in the 1980's and afterwards.

NEWBEGINNINGS
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

Animal on LOVE GUN, are you nuts PB ? If it aint broke dont fix it !!! Im Almost Human & Plaster Caster go way beyond these two songs ! Same thing w/ RnR Over, no chance, I wont even debate it. Im happy these new songs are on SB even more now .... thanks ! lol The rest of the stuff could have worked, I will agree w/ you on that !
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I think what Rick means is Animal would not have been out of place on Love Gun, rather than it was better than others.
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

I have a feeling Monster will have the exact same feel and sound as Sonic Boom... just kinda... there. Gene's songs were better than Paul's IMO. Paul's lyrics are hard to take nowadays. The Eric and Tommy tunes were definitely filler.
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

He said, she said .. who cares ? I just want the new Gene songs on Monster to sound more like his COTN & LIU albums !!!!!!!!!!!
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

jesternjeff wrote:He said, she said .. who cares ? I just want the new Gene songs on Monster to sound more like his COTN & LIU albums !!!!!!!!!!!

obviously you care.
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

Yes I care for Genes new stuff to sound like the stuff he did on cotn & liu. I dont care to think anything off of SB could be placed on anything earlier !
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Genebaby wrote:I think what Rick means is Animal would not have been out of place on Love Gun, rather than it was better than others.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

damn that star trek thing is addictive. I see something in Kirk's eyes and expressions that remind me of Rick.
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Gene's songs sound exactly like real classic KISS songs. Like he was purposefully picking songs on classic albums and creating a "sister" version. In the sense that they have that classic sound they are wonderful. As standalone songs they all seem to lack strong enough riffs or lyrics to become classic themselves.
Paul's songs are less directly influenced by specific classic songs and more by eras of the band. His songs are musically and lyrically more interesting and "pop". In that sense they are more accessible and feel as if they could be "hits".
The Eric song is a lackluster, derivative turd.
The Tommy song, I hate to say it, is one of my favorites on the album. I like the riff, the groove and Tommy does a better vocal job than Ace was doing in the early 80s.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

Well put erg2 !
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

jesternjeff wrote:Animal compared to God Of Thunder, not a chance ! Russian Roulette compared to Watching you ... you people are out of your mind. (Your Insulting your friends for having a different opinion?) Hot & Cold compared to Two Timer ... really ? Do I have to point this out ??? Songs like Modern Day , Say Yeah can be placed on any classic Kiss Album and would stand the test of Kiss sounding. (I Hate Say Yeah) Genes songs wouldn't hold ground . I mean there better then anything from Unmasked and Animalize, Crazy Nights and most defiantly Hot In The Shade. IM REALLY hoping the stuff he does on Monster will be equivalent to what he did on COTN or LIU ..... TRUE GENE-IUS SONGS !
Jeff,
Besides you who is comparing:
Animal to G.O.T.
Russian Roulette to Watchin You
Hot & Cold to Two Timer

Listen if you would enjoy debating the above that's cool but what your friends are sharing with you here is that they prefer Gene's Songs over Paul's Songs on Sonic Boom. If you like Paul's Songs better - GOD Bless you and Rock On! Nobody once compared Gene's Songs on Sonic Boom to the best Gene Songs in the Kiss Catalog.

My personal interests are dictated by guitar prowess which can certainly inspire great song writing. Based upon that I would be delighted if Gene's Contributions were inspired by C.O.T.N. & L.I.U. but from my vantage this would be very difficult because Tommy doesn't have Vinnie's Chops by a mile.

I admire your passion bro but there is no need to suggest that folks are crazy because they see things differently than you!

Kev
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

8) 8) 8) 8) Kev

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Why o why is tommy in the band.
Bye Bye
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

Again, people want to give there opinions and thats why we are all here. For the record I wasnt comparing the Gene SB songs w/ the older songs but rather was in my own way deliberating the fact that the Gene songs on SB couldn't be considered to ANY of there early stuff and was using those songs as reference ! Gene kinda gets his voice like that stuff COTH & LIU on PC w/ Journey Of 1000 years w/ out the help of Vinnie. So, kev I will have to disagree w/ you on him needing Vinnie's contribution, though Vinnie's style may help Gene belt them out its not necessary .
Genebaby
Site Admin

Monster - The Album

Post by Genebaby »

doublev2 wrote:Why o why is tommy in the band.
It's not Tommy, it's what Gene and Paul want.

They no longer way to grow as a band but want to deliver what they hope is 70's style Kiss, rather than modern Kiss utilizing the talents of who is in the band today.

They no longer want a guitar hero like Vinnie or Mark, just an Ace clone.

Fair enough, it's their band. I just hope the new album is great.

At least there is a new album and tour, more than you know who is doing.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

jesternjeff wrote:Again, people want to give there opinions and thats why we are all here. For the record I wasnt comparing the Gene SB songs w/ the older songs but rather was in my own way deliberating the fact that the Gene songs on SB couldn't be considered to ANY of there early stuff and was using those songs as reference ! Gene kinda gets his voice like that stuff COTH & LIU on PC w/ Journey Of 1000 years w/ out the help of Vinnie. So, kev I will have to disagree w/ you on him needing Vinnie's contribution, though Vinnie's style may help Gene belt them out its not necessary .
Jeff,
I think that you and I agree that C.O.T.N. and L.I.U. were the very best of Kiss? Is this true? I really like Kiss in all its incarnations past and present but I really think that they kicked ass with Vinnie Vincent and this was my personal favorite lineup of Kiss.

Kev
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

Genebaby wrote:
doublev2 wrote:Why o why is tommy in the band.
It's not Tommy, it's what Gene and Paul want.

They no longer way to grow as a band but want to deliver what they hope is 70's style Kiss, rather than modern Kiss utilizing the talents of who is in the band today.

They no longer want a guitar hero like Vinnie or Mark, just an Ace clone.

Fair enough, it's their band. I just hope the new album is great.

At least there is a new album and tour, more than you know who is doing.
Playing what they know is growing as a band, I cant stand the fact that some of there 80's stuff was based on fallowing trends . For example songs that sounded like every other band out there from Bon Jovi to Cinderella. After Animalize they lost it. They fallowed trends in the late 70's too but, you could still tell it was kiss doing a disco song. I dont think they ever wanted a guitar hero but, again they were just fallowing trends and w/ guys like Eddie V out at the time thats what they got. It worked out for them w/ Vinnie and Mark but, we all know what happened next.
Iceman75

Post by Iceman75 »

I hope they put something in the CD case like tattoos or a mini poster.
Kind of like a crappy cereal that has a cool prize! :roll:
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

How about a KISS Condom...
erg2

Post by erg2 »

It would be better if they were trying to do something more original instead of trying to recreate Rock and Roll Over or Love Gun. I don't think they have real faith in the music they write any longer...or faith that people will like it and buy it. They are putting out a product they think their faithful fans will like. The sad thing is, their faithful fans would give ANYTHING they tried a chance.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i would like to hear something of a tribute to dynasty and also the elder 2.

i also would like kiss to do a vegas residency and play every album they have ever made live. each night two full records but with the originals who played it that are alive (no chance of vv sorry). that would be a great send off. kiss playing 25 shows including every song they ever wrote in order (or reverse order).
Bye Bye
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

Slayer wrote:
jesternjeff wrote:Again, people want to give there opinions and thats why we are all here. For the record I wasnt comparing the Gene SB songs w/ the older songs but rather was in my own way deliberating the fact that the Gene songs on SB couldn't be considered to ANY of there early stuff and was using those songs as reference ! Gene kinda gets his voice like that stuff COTH & LIU on PC w/ Journey Of 1000 years w/ out the help of Vinnie. So, kev I will have to disagree w/ you on him needing Vinnie's contribution, though Vinnie's style may help Gene belt them out its not necessary .
Jeff,
I think that you and I agree that C.O.T.N. and L.I.U. were the very best of Kiss? Is this true? I really like Kiss in all its incarnations past and present but I really think that they kicked ass with Vinnie Vincent and this was my personal favorite lineup of Kiss.

Kev
Actually Im a fan of the original line up and all albums up till Alive. Everything after that till COTN & LIU was just bubble gum, don't get me wrong here .. really good bubble gum. Unmasked was disappointing for me, Killers sucked ass ( I know some of you love it ) and the Elder was just a mind warp ( in a good way ) but, not KISS. It wasn't till COTN & LIU did they kick ass. Both of those albums still kick hard and Sound great ! Kev the line up w/ Vinnie on board is / was a great line up, no doubt about it !
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Great post Jeff!

Thanks

Kev
Genebaby
Site Admin

Monster - The Album

Post by Genebaby »

The new songs on Killers were a step in the direction they were headed for on COTN. Love those songs.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I'm a Legend Tonight
Partners in Crime
Down on Your Knees
No Where to Run
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

I dont know how you can say that Genebaby, to me those song are simply Unmasked left overs and dont even come close, near any of the songs on COTN. And those crappy guitar solo's by Kulic make me sick !!!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Monster - The Album

Post by Genebaby »

Hey, I just LOVE them, I can't help it man. Love Unmasked too. Kiss rule!!!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Shit in addition to Unmasked and the Killers 4, I even like the Elder :-) "The Oath" is a personal favorite of mine!
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

jesternjeff wrote:I dont know how you can say that Genebaby, to me those song are simply Unmasked left overs and dont even come close, near any of the songs on COTN.
This is what I hear as well. :D :D :D :D

NEWBEGINNINGS
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

Here you go Genebaby, just for you .....

.... enjoy yourself !
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I've always read that the 4 songs on KILLERS were material being worked on for the "original" follow up to THE ELDER, which was supposed to be a harder/heavier album like CREATURES OF THE NIGHT. Then Ezrin was brought in and he convinced them that they should do a concept album so they put those songs on the shelf.

However, I've also read that at least a couple of those songs were written for THE ELDER but didn't make the cut.

One thing I had never heard was that they were leftover from UNMASKED.

That period of KISS was so chaotic and so convoluted that I doubt even Gene or Paul could give anyone an accurate account of what was done and when. They can barely tell who played what instrument on official album cuts. So who knows.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
Iceman75

Post by Iceman75 »

Yup, Killers was great!