ron nevison on crazy nights

Talk about Kiss
doublev2

ron nevison on crazy nights

Post by doublev2 »

Crazy Nights, it’s 25 years strong: Interview w/ Ron Nevison
Posted on January 30, 2012
Tim McPhate | KissFAQ

Just months after the “Asylum” tour, in summer 1986, Paul Stanley was already mulling the direction of the next KISS album.

Though the in-house produced “Asylum” crept past gold status, Stanley was taking note of bands such as Bon Jovi, Poison, Heart, and Ozzy Osbourne, who were all racing up the charts with hit singles and multi-platinum albums. He wanted KISS to get in on the action. He knew he needed a hot producer to help him toward this goal. He wanted Ron Nevison.

Nevison’s discography reads like a who’s who of classic rock royalty, including work with the Who, Led Zeppelin, Bad Company, Thin Lizzy, and the Rolling Stones, among others. By the time the calendar turned to 1987, he was fresh from resuscitating the career of Heart, who sold millions on the strength of four hit singles from their 1985 Nevison-produced self-titled album. Nevison was in such high demand throughout late 1986 and early 1987, KISS (read: Paul Stanley) chose to hold their new album until his schedule was clear.

The resulting fruit of Nevison/KISS’ labor was “Crazy Nights.” True to 1987-style rock, there are big guitars, shout-along choruses, shredding solos, ample keyboards, well-crafted songs, and polished production. The album finds Stanley’s powerful voice in fine form, particularly on the singles “Crazy Nights,” “Reason To Live” and “Turn On The Night.”

After recording was completed on “Crazy Nights,” the band thought they had hit a home run. “Everybody was really excited,” recalls Nevison.

While “Crazy Nights” would ultimately yield platinum-plus sales, the hit single to catapult the album to multi-platinum status in the United States eluded KISS. The aforementioned “Reason To Live” only managed No. 64 position on the Billboard Hot 100. Fan opinions of “Crazy Nights” varied across the board, with detractors criticizing Nevison’s polished, keyboard-friendly mix. Even Stanley put on a pair of hindsight headphones. “I think it’s a bit plastic-sounding,” he once remarked. “The material, and what it could have been, was better than what it turned out to be.”

When peppered with questions on “Crazy Nights” a quarter century later, Nevison stands by the album and offers no apologies. Nor should he. The fact is that “Crazy Nights” cracked the Top 20 in five countries, hitting No. 4 in the UK, KISS’ highest-charting album there ever. The title track matched the album’s performance, climbing to No. 4 on the UK singles chart.

As far as Nevison is concerned, he delivered exactly what was asked of him. And the only thing that got in the way of that home run, multi-platinum album was … KISS.

KissFAQ: Before we get to “Crazy Nights,” can you share your first recollections of KISS? Do you remember the first time you became aware of KISS?

Ron Nevison: I don’t think I remember the first time. When did KISS start?

KF: Their debut album was released in 1974.

RN: 1974. I was in England until about 1975. But in the late ’70s I did have an interview to do Paul Stanley’s solo album so I was obviously aware of their impact by then.

KF: Do you recall anything about the interview and why you didn’t end up working on the album?

RN: I remember the interview was at Casablanca with Neil Bogart. And I had just done an album with Dave Mason. And I remember Neil showing me what they had planned, a mylar album cover, and they were going to cost like a $1 each. I don’t remember if it was that much, but it was a lot. And I remember going to Columbia and fighting with them to do a laminate on Dave’s record for like 5 cents each. (laughs)

So it’s the irony in the way things were marketed by the old establishment Columbia and the upstart Casablanca.

But as to why I didn’t end up working with Paul at that time, I don’t know.

KF: Fast-forwarding to 1986, who was it that approached you in terms of working with KISS?

RN: I think they contacted my manager, Michael Lippman – it may have been either Mercury or Paul.

I was just working on the Heart “Bad Animals” album and I had this girlfriend, and she was a model. And around Labor Day, she had a film shoot in Aspen. So I went there with her because it’s a beautiful place. While she was working I was nosing around, and I rented a house for Christmas and New Year’s. And we broke up around Halloween and I was stuck with this house. And I asked Paul, and Paul said, “Yeah, I’ll share it with you. I’m not doing anything special for the holidays.” So we went up there for a couple of weeks and shared a house and had a real good time getting to know each other and hanging out. That was cool.

Then the album we did, probably, the following spring.

KF: While in Aspen, was it confirmed that you were producing the next KISS album?

RN: I don’t remember if it was a done deal. I think it was. They had decided they were going to use me and they had to wait until I was finished with whatever I was doing.

We actually went halves on a private plane home. We had a great time.

KF: Getting into the album, what was the process of going through the material and deciding what would be recorded or worked on during the sessions?

RN: Gene just gave me everything. (laughs) He loaded me up with 20, I don’t know, 25 songs. And Paul was much more discerning in terms of what he let me hear. Gene just let me hear everything. And I told him what I liked and what I didn’t like. There were some odd songs – there was one song I remember called “I’m Going To Put A Log In Your Fire Place.” (laughs)

And Paul, to my recollection, wanted to make a different kind of album. You know, with the success that Bon Jovi was having in writing with Desmond Child and other bands – I had taken Ozzy down that road with his first hit single in years, if ever, “Shot In The Dark,” in 1986. And of course, Heart.

I was actually very pleased with the material on ["Crazy Nights"]. And I took some heat after that album because of the keyboards.

KF: Can you describe the recording process for the basic tracks on “Crazy Nights?”

RN: Well, we laid down drums, bass, guitar and a vocal. Now, I don’t remember exactly that Bruce played rhythm or Paul played the rhythm. I think I probably had Bruce play so Paul could sing his songs. That’s how I usually do it. You know, I’ve had 45 albums since then … (laughs)

But I think we used One and One [Recording], which was a good drum room. But we didn’t stay there long. We went to Rumbo Recorders out in the [San Fernando] Valley. And it was Captain & Tennille’s studio. It had a big lounge, and had a lot of room in the studio for guitars and a full Neve board. It was just a comfortable place to work. So that’s we did a majority of the recording. During that period of time, I did lots of albums there.

KF: Ron, you touched on one of my questions. In 1987 rock acts such as Heart, Poison, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi…

RN: They saw what they were doing with “Livin’ On A Prayer” and all that. And I wanted to get KISS that same level of – you know, instead of selling 500,000 to 700,000 records, which is respectable, especially these days – I wanted it to be bigger than that.

I was impressed with the stuff that Paul [brought in]. You know, Gene’s stuff was Gene’s stuff. Gene wrote rock stuff, but not commercial really, but KISS fans love Gene’s songs.

KF: Do you think Paul was coming from an angle where he wanted to write songs that were in line with what other bands were writing?

RN: Yeah, I think so. I think that was the goal.

And I think it was a great album. My favorite songs are “Crazy Nights,” “Reason To Live” and “My Way.” Those are my favorites. The Diane Warren was a good song.

KF: A lot has been said over the years about Gene’s acting career and outside interests during this time. Do you recall him being focused or were his outside projects a distraction in terms of his commitment?

RN: Well, this was the only album I did with them. I do know that Gene wasn’t there all the time. Obviously Bruce was, and to some extent, Eric. Mostly, a majority of the work on that album I did with Bruce and Paul. The bass tracks were cut initially, and Gene was only needed for lead vocals. I must say that most of the time he was there, he was in the back of the studio reading “Variety.”

KF: Did Gene play bass on all of the tracks on “Crazy Nights”?

RN: From what I remember, yes, he played. I must say, having a master player like Bruce Kulick made it easy for the entire band …

KF: Guitar-wise, Bruce really shines on this album. Do you recall any songs in which you helped guide Bruce’s solos? Or did he pretty much have carte blanche with his ideas?

RN: Total carte blanche. You know, I don’t guide people. I don’t sit down with a guitar player and say, “I want you to play this,” because that blows whatever thoughts they might have in their head. I was that way with everybody. If I have a really good idea for a part, I shut up and I see what they do, because I want them to blow my mind. If somebody fumbles around for 15 minutes, I’ll say, “Why don’t you try this?” You know, I have the idea but I don’t have to ever tell anybody I’ve got the idea. I don’t use the idea unless I have to.

Basically, I’d let them go. Then I’d do comps. Comps of vocals and comps of guitars. Then I’d take six or eight takes and comp a “best of.” Sometimes somebody plays it the first time. A lot of times they play a good guitar solo the first time, right out of the box, because they’re warming up and they’re not thinking too hard. Thinking hurts you.

KF: What about Eric Carr? How does he rank in terms of the drummers you’ve worked with?

RN: I don’t like to rank people, because they’re all too different. But Gene and Paul, once they disbanded the original lineup … I mean Eric and Bruce, you couldn’t find two greater, nicer guys. In fact, all of them. Gene, Paul – they’re the most wonderful, professional band to work with. No drugs. No alcohol. No bulls***. I have to say, it was just a pleasure to work with them.

KF: Paul was really singing at the top of his range on “Crazy Nights.” In listening to songs such as the title track, “I’ll Fight Hell To Hold You” and “My Way,” he really stretched himself. How did you approach recording Paul’s vocals for the album?

RN: I actually wasn’t that happy with all the keys that Paul chose. But he wanted to sing it as high as he could sing it.

KF: Really?

RN: Yeah, he thought that was the way to go. And in listening back to a little bit of the album today, especially “Crazy Nights” with the modulation …

KF: That goes up a step and a half …

RN: He got up there. And there was no Auto-Tune in those days. It was like 10 years before Pro Tools and all that stuff. And there was really no other way but to keep recording it. I would have felt more comfortable if a couple of the songs had been a half-step down, or something to make it easier on him. But he wanted it like that and the songs were written like that and demoed like that. That’s the way he wanted to do it. I went along with it, and as far as performance goes, he did a great job.

And it was the most successful album that they did in the ’80s. It was big in England; it was big in Scandinavia.

I expected more out of “Reason To Live.” As you know, to get a hit single in those days, you had to have some kind of ballad. There was no other way. I thought “Reason To Live” was that ballad, and it did ok, but it didn’t quite catch on. I think there was still a reluctance amongst CHR stations, which was Contemporary Hit Radio in those days, to play a song by KISS. Not based on the merit, but based on the fact that their listeners didn’t listen to KISS.

KF: In hindsight, it seems like “Reason To Live” should have fared better. I’ve always felt it was as good, if not better than many of the ballads that were hits at the time.

RN: It’s gorgeous. I was very disappointed. I was happy with how it came out, but it didn’t become a hit. And if we had a big hit, ["Crazy Nights"] would have sold another couple of million records. I thought “Reason To Live” was the right single. It was a passionate, emotional song. It rocked a bit. It was perfect.

KF: This reminds me of a quote I’ve read from you in which you said that you had the name “KISS” going against you in terms of pop radio success.

RN: Certainly. I know how they operated then. I know how the system worked. I know how the promoters promote. I knew how all those people got artists on the radio in that time period, 1985-1990. And suddenly that formula didn’t work with KISS. Look, “Shot In The Dark” wasn’t a huge smash. The fact that he had never had a single was a big factor. Something like “Crazy Nights,” it was Top 5 in the UK. Obviously it did affect some kind of playlists and some stations.

When AOR radio was big in the U.S., there [was] nothing like pop radio for selling albums, if you had a hit single. That’s why I was really happy with the material. Because I thought “Crazy Nights” was a single. And I thought “Reason To Live” was a single. I also thought “My Way” was a single.

But it was out of my hands. It’s the vaunted record company promotion guys and what they want to do.

Having said that, Paul and Gene have taken KISS a very, very, very long way. You know, coming up with the concept. And then with taking off the makeup, changing players, putting the makeup back on. They’ve really reinvented themselves over and over again. And having one of the biggest grossing tours. They have lots and lots of things to be proud of.

KF: I’m curious, when you hear “Reason To Live,” do you hear elements of Foreigner’s “I Want To Know What Love Is”?

RN: Huh. There is a little bit. (Sings melodies of both choruses) I’ve never even thought about that. That wasn’t the intention.

KF: What do you recall about “Turn On The Night”? That was co-written by Paul and Diane Warren, who typically writes all of her own material. Were you the catalyst in getting them together?

RN: I don’t recall. I had hits with Diane after that with Chicago.

KF: “Look Away.”

RN: Right, “Look Away.” And “I Don’t Want To Live Without Your Love.” I think that predated that.

KF: “Turn On The Night” was the third video/single from the album. It really seems like that song should have performed better as well.

RN: Oh yeah.

I think it’s a great album. You know, Tim, I tried to do what was right for 1987 for that band. And I think I succeeded.

KF: In terms of the album’s sonics, I think you’ve admitted, in hindsight, that you would have mixed the synthesizers down a bit and that it might be too “slick” or “soft” sounding.

RN: I wasn’t that happy with the final mix. But I wasn’t that unhappy with it. I have to tell you, Tim, I’m not happy with any mix that I’ve done. I think I could have made it a bit more powerful sounding.

KF: Some of the album’s detractors have commented that the sonics are too similar to Heart’s 1985 self-titled album and Ozzy’s “The Ultimate Sin” album.

RN: There you go. That’s [the type of album] I make. That’s what I do.

KF: Exactly. In that sense, you delivered. KISS wanted Ron Nevison. They wanted that sound at the time and you gave it to them.

RN: Yep. I have to say that I think as time goes on it will be more accepted and more liked because it has great songs. I think, song-wise, it really stands out as one of the best KISS albums ever, song-wise.

KF: On their most recent tour, KISS actually added “Crazy Crazy Nights” to their set list. It was the first time they’d played it in 20 years.

RN: I didn’t know that. You know, I’ve actually never seen them live. I’ve just never been in the same city. Or when they’re on tour, I’ve been somewhere else.

KF: They did tune the song down. On the album, it’s in the key of G, and they played it in F.

Ron, is there one song, in particular, that you would take off the album or replace, in hindsight?

RN: I think we probably recorded more songs than we needed. I think there was another ballad. But I thought it would be suicide to put two ballads on the record. “Reason To Live” was a better song, I don’t remember the title of the other one.

KF: Let me run through some song titles of songs that were demoed around this time that didn’t end up on the album. Do you have any recollections of these tracks?

“Sword And Stone.”

RN: I think I remember that one.

KF: Bruce has said he thinks you left a “great song” off the record.

RN: Yeah, that’s probably because he’s one of the writers, and writers always think that. [Ed: The song was co-written by Paul, Desmond Child and Bruce.]

KF: (laughs)

“Time Traveler.”

RN: Don’t remember that one.

KF: “Are You Always This Hot” – this song is purported to have been fully recorded for the album.

RN: Well, I think we had to juggle how many of Paul’s songs we had on the album and how many of Gene’s. I don’t think that song was finished though.

I can’t be sure of this, but I think we made decisions fairly early on in the recording about what was going on and what wasn’t. I don’t think we finished a bunch of tunes and then decided what was going to be on the album.

KF: Do you recall any creative differences or arguments over songs between Gene and Paul?

RN: You know, it’s a process that goes on. It’s not something that comes down to that ever. The process is [a band] sends me all the material and I listen to it all and we decide pretty much ahead of time what’s happening. It’s not decided when we get in the studio, it’s decided before we get there. And if there’s a couple of extra tracks, we’ll do those. I don’t remember that part of it [with KISS]; I’m just giving you what I usually do.

I don’t remember any situation where there was any disagreement between the two of them over anything. But certainly I am there to give my opinion, and they’re there to say yes or no on that opinion. That’s how it all works. I’m working for them.

KF: Do you recall the general atmosphere as you completed the project? Were spirits high that you had something “big” on your hands?

RN: Oh yeah. We were in New York with the management company, and I remember we had a playback party. Everybody was really excited.

KF: It’s tough to word this next question because a platinum album is nothing to be ashamed about. But obviously KISS sought you out because they were looking for a home run like the 1985 Heart album, which eventually sold five million copies…

RN: Yeah, well that’s because we had No. 1 singles. That’s where I was trying to go. KISS was their own worst enemy as far as singles go. I have to tell you, by ignoring pop radio for 20 years, you just don’t turn up and they let you on. By saying that we had keyboards, by saying, “We’re not selling out,” you don’t work your way into those kind of radio spots. As far as it goes, if “Reason To Live” had done what “These Dreams” did, we would have sold five million.

So how can you call a platinum-plus album anything but successful?

KF: That’s a very good question.

RN: It was their most successful of the ’80s, worldwide. That says it all right there.

KF: Ron, did you ever have a thought of bringing complete songs in from outside writers for “Crazy Nights”?

RN: I did not bring any outside material. Paul is the one who hooked up with Desmond. Paul is the one who hooked up with other writers. I did not bring any of those songs in.

KF: Ron, what would be your message to KISS fans?

RN: I hope they appreciate the reason I was hired and the position I was put in to make this [album]. I fought hard to get those kind of things played. And they did pretty good compared to other KISS singles. But it wasn’t a home run in terms of Contemporary Hit Radio, and it never will be for KISS. But I tried.

KF: Would you ever be game to remix the album?

RN: Yeah. I would love that. I have to tell you, Tim. I got an email from Pete Townshend last year telling me that they were re-releasing the “Quadrophenia” album as a box set and they were going to use my original mix that sounds so much better than the remix in the ’90s they had done. And I was thrilled they did that. And he emailed me to ask if I would be available for a BBC interview.

So I came down to Los Angeles last November and went to Steakhouse Studio in North Hollywood. And I sat there and I thought they were just going to play me the “Quadrophenia” tracks and I was going to talk about them. But what they did was, they had the 16-track stems. In other words, I had all 16 tracks on the console so I could solo and listen to each individual track, and talk about the vocal or the guitar and bass parts, and drums. It freaked me out. I didn’t know until I got there that they were going to do that. So that was really cool.

But yeah, I would be open to it.

KF: Ron, thanks for your time today.

RN: Thanks, Tim
Bye Bye
shramiac

Re: ron nevison on crazy nights

Post by shramiac »

Very concise! He sounds like a nice guy! He also did Europe's "Out of this World" album in 88' which apart from some really lame lyrics, is a well crafted and great sounding album!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

I agree... Reason To Live should've been huge. I've always loved that tune and it was Paul's last great ballad:

[youtube][/youtube]
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

and Good Girl Gone Bad is a really good Gene tune... along the lines of Naked City and Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell... love Bruce's solo:

[youtube][/youtube]
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Good girl and theith in the night are good gene tunes. It did lack just one really big hit that would have put them back on the radio world wide.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Reason to live is far better than forever which is a song i really don't like.
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

forever and all the paul ballads after just aren't my cup of tea... cringeworthy stuff.

i still love you, a million to one, thrills in the night, tears are falling, reason to live... all killer power ballads.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, I found my love for this album and Asylum again last year. Listening to it years later, after playing guitar myself, Bruce does do some tasty work here.

If it was a record by any other band it would have been bigger!
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Brooklyn_Born

Post by Brooklyn_Born »

It needed Sword & Stone
Hey man, I am cool, I am the Breeze...

VVFF Rocks Hard!!!
This is not a Hate Forum Vinnie...Capisce!!?
Brooklyn has almost left the Building
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I always wonder why they.just didn't hear the album and say let's work are ass off to write one more killer tune to.take it over the edge. But with kiss they liked to work fast it seemed
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I don't know why they put out turn on the night as a video. Hell to hold you would be better.
Also they should have put out a million to one as the 3rd Liu video.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Yep!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

PinkWiz wrote:and Good Girl Gone Bad is a really good Gene tune... along the lines of Naked City and Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell... love Bruce's solo:

[youtube][/youtube]

Me Too!
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Reason To Live should've been a huge hit. It's well written and produced exactly for the style of the time. I blame more the record company. They knew a KISS album at the time would go platinum with little promotion because of the KISS ARMY and metal fans. It did well on MTV, but didn't get play on rock radio.

For my view, I always thought the production sounded thin. Drums and bass had no oomph and the keyboards were WAY too prominent. I think a remix to push more of a hard rock sound would be incredible...but interviews with Paul indicate he has zero interest. You'd think Gene would understand that the KISS ARMY would plunk down their cash for an item like that...small investment and probably sell 100,000 copies.
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

listening to 'good girl gone bad' again i think it could have been a single, certainly better choice than 'turn on the night' I would like to hear Reason to Live with guitar instead of keyboard. I find it funny that the keyboard sound for rock back in the 80s was all the same sound kinda.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

sword and the stone was good enough for a single too. why not on the record?
[youtube][/youtube]
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I think GOOD GIRL GONE BAD or THIEF IN THE NIGHT are both highlights of Gene's 80's material.

I've always liked the song SWORD AND THE STONE. I even bought the Bonfire cassette even though I didn't care for the band. I think KISS's recording is fine...it just doesn't quite sound like a "KISS" song and I think that's why it wasn't included.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Agreed it doesn't sound kiss but does my way and reason to live?
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Good point. REASON TO LIVE is about as "KISS" as BETH was. Ballads get a pass though...especially that one because I can hear how it COULD be a "KISS" song. Or how it probably was a "KISS" song before Nevison got his hands on it.

For me, the Crazy Nights album was the beginning of the Paul Stanley 'Tony Robbins' song-writing. The whole power of positive thinking, believing in yourself, you can do anything sentiment. Right around the time Paul was seeing that shrink who managed the band for a while. Fewer and fewer cool songs about incredible women and fast living. MY WAY is the least subtle of all of these.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

erg2 wrote: For me, the Crazy Nights album was the beginning of the Paul Stanley 'Tony Robbins' song-writing.
:lol: Sums up about every tune he's written since then (My Way, Rise To It, Stand, Live To Win, etc.)
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

That is SO TRUE. Good one PW !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yeah prozac music. I think the first title mentioned for the album was 'who dares wins'.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

As much as I like Crazy Nights the problem after Vinnie left is that Kiss weren't Daring and they weren't Winning. Just getting by and getting lost in other bands of the 80's.

I can admit that they should have had more success with the albums they did put out but being Kiss was a hindrance to their success.

More albums with Vinnie would have overcome this due to their combined greatness. Oh well.
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Genebaby wrote:As much as I like Crazy Nights the problem after Vinnie left is that Kiss weren't Daring and they weren't Winning. Just getting by and getting lost in other bands of the 80's.

I can admit that they should have had more success with the albums they did put out but being Kiss was a hindrance to their success.

More albums with Vinnie would have overcome this due to their combined greatness. Oh well.
Exactly. KISS wasn't doing their own thing anymore. Musically or aesthetically. KISS wasn't a hungry animal anymore and wasn't the priority for G&P anymore.

They looked around, saw what was popular and said, "Let's just do that and we should at least go gold."
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i think we have to also credit the producer of the vinnie era. he did well with killers too. I think the overall sound has to be credited to him but he had good songs and guitar player.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, I dug MJM's production, on all his Kiss stuff. Too bad they didn't keep using him.
Cernex

Post by Cernex »

I've always liked the album. Granted, "Animalize" will always rank way higher for me, but still.

What can I sat? I like synths. :P

"I'll Fight Hell to Hold You" is one of my favorite songs from it.
Space Galleon Javelin - My space opera web serial. It's free! And complete! Go check it out.
Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon Author page, for if you want to check my fiction and stuff.
ankh

Post by ankh »

they've simply tried to repeat the success of Heart and, to lesser extent, Ozzy.And, to make things worse, came two years later,losing momentum.The production on those four albums seems to be made with a cookie cutter method.it seeems-from outside,of course, a bit naive to think what's worked for others was working for them too.I understadn that they needed a hit single, but i don't think they had the right mindset, starting off with "CCN", and then following with a song so much similar to "I want to know what love is".And, even, the label didn't push the record too much-something the group complained about (and then had to write an apology letter to the president of Polygram).Wrong timing and not a brilliant piece of work.
"Sword and Stone" reminds me so much of Survivor "in a burning heart".
Funnily enough, at the time the group was praising Nevison very much only to complain later wher the record was-compared to the expectations- a failure.Yet, with every group of that status, they have the final say, together with the label, about issuing the record or not.They've done the same with Ezrin and with Fairbairn too.

Kiss repeated exactly the same procedure with "carnival of souls" copyng grunge groups left and right, only two years later.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

thanks ankh. i know thief in the night was originally written for Creatures.
Bye Bye
ankh

Post by ankh »

as crazy as it may sounds, for me Wendy gave a better vocal rendition on that song.

the whole era is well described in the CK.Lendt book, "Kiss and sell".

For a while, the title they made circulate was "Condomnation".
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
erg2

Post by erg2 »

After Lick It Up, KISS was habitually about 6 months past the pinnacle of whatever trend was popular in Rock/Metal music. Whenever an album came out I always liked it, but could hear last year's influences on it. I was always thinking "If this would've come out last year it would've been HUGE." But they always released albums after everyone's saturation point.
I know everyone thinks FOREVER was a hit single...and it was...but most people I know were complaining how KISS was copying everyone else. A few months earlier and they probably would've had a #1 hit and sold another million.
I think Revenge was their take on being heavy because of the GnR influence...2 years too late.
Carnival of Souls was their take on the grunge influence...2 years too late...really 4 when it was officially released.

But I can't tell you what the fuck Psycho Circus was supposed to be...
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

yeah, but they were old. its hard to keep on the edge when you have a Mailibu or Beverley Hills mansion and to be honest why should they. they still made some great tunes.
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

True. I just think Nevison was a bad choice. Plus they took a year off to wait for him. Just think...if they had gone into the studio:
- we might've had a more "rock" album
- we might have one more KISS record with Eric Carr
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

erg2 wrote: But I can't tell you what the fuck Psycho Circus was supposed to be...
Destroyer 22 years too late...
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

You got a good point with the "two years too late" idea... give or take a bit:

ALBUM _____________ TWO YEARS TOO LATE FOR:
Dynasty___________________Disco (hated by '79... huge in '77)
The Elder_________________Pink Floyd's The Wall
Creatures_________________New Wave of British Heavy Metal
Animalize_________________Diver Down or any early VH
Crazy Nights_______________Nevison's pop polish (in an era of Guns and Roses' rawness)
Hot In The Shade___________Bon Jovi
Revenge__________________Metallica/GnR
Carnival of Souls___________Grunge
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

the interesting thing is that once the makeup went back on, they stopped copying others and started copying themselves (psycho circus=destroyer, sonic boom=rock n roll over).
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

PinkWiz wrote:You got a good point with the "two years too late" idea... give or take a bit:

Crazy Nights_______________Nevison's pop polish (in an era of Guns and Roses' rawness)
I have always thought this. I guess it was too hard for them to pump out albums 6 months apart like they used to.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i agree apart from disco was still fly in '79 and even 1980.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

disco in 70 [youtube][/youtube]
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

acrylic drums haha
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

haha! @ 1:03... drunk as a fukn skunk:
[youtube][/youtube]
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

I love disco btw. I was only around five years old so it's nostalgic for me... so Disco-KISS was even better (KISSCO?)
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I remember the headlines in the magazines:

"KISSGO DISCO"

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i would say only two tunes were disco on dynasty, boy am i being grumpy. I was made and Dirty Livin' are the only disco tunes and maybe magic touch and Charisma in a more rock way. But yeah it was a different sound for sure and it worked real well. An amazing feel to that record and not as bubble gum as people think.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Dino, You are correct in your observation. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

NEWBEGINNINGS
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

doublev2 wrote:i would say only two tunes were disco on dynasty, boy am i being grumpy. I was made and Dirty Livin' are the only disco tunes and maybe magic touch and Charisma in a more rock way. But yeah it was a different sound for sure and it worked real well. An amazing feel to that record and not as bubble gum as people think.

Yes, IWM4LU, Sure Know Something and Dirty Livin were all dance-disco oriented... the rest was pretty much a straight up KI$$ album. I think the colorful, Vegas-style costumes added to the disco-sellout image... even though I love those costumes and can listen to Dynasty front to back.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Ace 's tunes are stellar on Dynasty..

NEWBEGINNINGS
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

SAVE YOUR LOVE!
erg2

Post by erg2 »

PinkWiz wrote:You got a good point with the "two years too late" idea... give or take a bit:

I love this. I wonder if they were just too busy leading the lives of west coast millionaires?
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
erg2

Post by erg2 »

There are some great songs on Dynasty, but I think the production smoothed the rough edges off the guitars. And other than the 2-3 disco songs, the compositions are quintessential KISS.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies