KISS Solo Albums, Dynasty, Unmasked colors?

Talk about Kiss
PinkWiz

KISS Solo Albums, Dynasty, Unmasked colors?

Post by PinkWiz »

Random I know but how do you think each member ended up with their chosen color or "aura?" I've always loved the color-coded Dynasty/Unmasked costumes although alot of fans didn't. I know that Dennis Woloch (who designed the Rock n Roll Over cover) chose the colors for them... and when Carr joined either Paul or Aucoin probably chose orange or "rust' for him. What do you guys think... and what was your fave Dynasty/Unmasked costume? I always liked Peter's green lions/fur costume because it was so fukn ridiculous!

Peter = green
Paul = purple
Ace = blue
Gene = red
Carr = orange

Also, I always wondered what Vinnie's costume would've looked like had he joined during Unmasked... I've seen fan art for a fantasy Vinnie solo album that gives him a yellow aura (to match the gold in his makeup?)

and yes... I AM bored... :?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: KISS Solo Albums, Dynasty, Unmasked colors?

Post by Genebaby »

I thought the guys decided on their colours for the solo albums. Did Dennis choose them?

I think the colours worked out well. Orange for Eric suited his fox fur he wore for the Unmasked tour.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Yeah, I was just wondering if anyone else had any info... wanted to hear someone else's take on it. Not much has ever been discussed about how the colors came about. I remember an interview in some Kiss fanzine in the early 90's that had an interview with Woloch. He mentioned that he originally told Eraldo Carugati to paint all the members with a red aura... but the members wanted different colors. So he did Ace in space blue, Gene in blood red, Peter in jungle green and the only one he had trouble with was Paul (I remember him saying "what the hell is a Starchild?" haha!). He said originally he was gonna have him yellow to represent a star, but then decided to go with the "lover" side of his persona and use purple since it represented passion (or something along those lines.) Just weirdly intriguing to me...
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I have no further info and I didn't know or remember that Dennis had told Eraldo what colours to use.

I think they all turned out well and suited the guys well.

Colourful Kiss was a big change from black and silver Kiss. I was 5 when Dynasty came out and loved it so no worries from me. Now my daughter is 5 and she loves the Dynasty/Unmasked era too, along with the rest.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Yes the colors did suit them all well. When I was seven my friend had that Dynasty "Superhero" poster with all the guys posing in their costumes and even then I remember thinking "wow these look alot different than the Love Gun outfits!"
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I was 7 or 8 when Dynasty came out and I had the Peter Criss poster with the green lion heads on my wall. I loved it and the album. I still like Dynasty, but it's one of the albums I listen to on very rare occasion.
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

yeah dynasty and unmasked are very nostalgic to me... love listening to those two albums on warm, sunny days for some reason. it's weird how some kiss albums (the elder, creatures, destroyer, etc.) are good "nighttime" albums and other kiss records (unmasked, dynasty, kiss alive II) are great "daytime" albums...
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

I've always liked Paul's Unmasked purple feathered jacket and Eric's orange fur jacket Unmasked costume... very simple but effective. Carr's jacket was just missing some orange fox heads though... ;)
erg2

Post by erg2 »

PinkWiz wrote:Carr's jacket was just missing some orange fox heads though... ;)
That might've looked a little like a rich old lady from New York. :?
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
EricFoxx

Post by EricFoxx »

What about this?
Attachments
solo albums.jpg
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Love those pics EricFoxx! Haha, Bruce as "The Dog!" That "Hawk" makeup for Eric Singer would've worked great... just don't break out "The Chickenman" costume!
Cernex

Post by Cernex »

PinkWiz wrote:Love those pics EricFoxx! Haha, Bruce as "The Dog!" That "Hawk" makeup for Eric Singer would've worked great... just don't break out "The Chickenman" costume!
This comes as a shock for me, being honest. Are you telling me they were actually planning on giving make-up to both Singer and Bruce at one point?
Space Galleon Javelin - My space opera web serial. It's free! And complete! Go check it out.
Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon Author page, for if you want to check my fiction and stuff.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

No, they weren't.

Both Eric and Bruce were always asked the question of what their character would be. Bruce said a dog. Eric said a hawk.
Last edited by poserboy71 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Cernex

Post by Cernex »

poserboy71 wrote:No, they weren't.

Both Eric and Bruce were always asked the question of What their character would be. Bruce said a dog. Eric said a hawk.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Would've made me very sad to discover that the only member of KISS, as brief as his tenure was, never to have even make-up planned was Mark.
Space Galleon Javelin - My space opera web serial. It's free! And complete! Go check it out.
Follow me on Twitter
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Haha Cernex, there WAS a rumor going around back in 2001 on some KISS message boards that Mark was gonna replace Ace and wear "Ghost" makeup!
Cernex

Post by Cernex »

Oh, that would've been so sweet to see...
Follow me on Twitter
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

too bad it was just that... a rumor. :)