KISS' Future

Talk about Kiss
Euphoria

KISS' Future

Post by Euphoria »

I read a bit on KISSFAQ the other day, there seems to be a lot of debate on there about Paul's voice now. Some people say that KISS will end in the not too distant future because of it, some people say that they will go on, and some say Paul needs some kind of surgery and recovery. Others say that Paul can never get his voice back.

Yesterday I watched a video with Paul Stanley singing around four years ago. He sounded pretty good, not like old times, but he could still sing, and hit notes with a strong voice. I saw them live in 2008, and it sounded still not bad, but when I listen back to the show recordings, I can hear the edges of his voice on some notes start to go. But then on occasion he really pulls it out of the bag!

Now, I saw them last year on the Sonic Boom Over Europe Tour. In the weeks leading up to the show I was going to, I was checking out videos of them on YouTube as each show went on. I remember there was one point in an early show, where suddenly he did something to his voice. Like, suddenly it started sounding bad, in a way I hadn't noticed so much before. Then each show after, it sounded terrible. Then I read somewhere he'd strained it. But they had a massive schedule of shows, so he had no time to rest.

By the time they played the show in my city, it was still a bit off. Not so much as to affect the show adversely, but still you could tell. When I listen to the recordings, you can tell he's struggling now. Still a great showman, but the guy is really pushing it. I respect him for that, but I think he needs a break. They've been touring now virtually solidly for the last 3 years, from Alive 35 tour, through Sonic Boom tour. Maybe they just want to do as many shows as they can before the end? I really don't know. On Sonic Boom Paul sounded good. The rerecords though, Jigoku Retsuden/Kiss Klassics... I wasn't much of a fan. Some are good, but some have painfully obvious autotune that really detract from the songs. If Paul struggles in the studio, then something surely has to give? They must know that.

What do you guys think? Any ideas on how long KISS can go on for? Would you put a date on it? I reckon that after the new album in 2012, they will tour for that, which will last a while. Then that would bring them into 2013 and the probable 'Alive 40' tour, which they would probably do knowing them... that could last for another fair while. Anyone really genuinely see the band lasting through and past 2013/2014? It's another 2-3 years. They can't do it forever.

I'd be interested in you guys opinions :)
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: KISS' Future

Post by Genebaby »

Paul's voice is a worry and I hope he can get it sorted. I really want them to tour Australia again at least once more so I can take my daughter. Selfish reasons I know, but I would love to be able to take her to a Kiss show.

If his voice keeps getting worse then it may end sooner than we think. I would hope for another 2-3 years. One more album and tour. Maybe have to give the Alive 40 tour a miss?
Commander in chief - VVF Army
MeteoraXV

Post by MeteoraXV »

I wonder if he is using correct technique then?? Does he have a vocal coach? Gene Simmons is still very good in my opinion. I have a friend in Florida who saw KISS a couple of months ago. She said Gene was top class!
I know Paul generally sings in higher range than Gene, so...
Euphoria

Post by Euphoria »

MeteoraXV wrote:I wonder if he is using correct technique then?? Does he have a vocal coach? Gene Simmons is still very good in my opinion. I have a friend in Florida who saw KISS a couple of months ago. She said Gene was top class!
I know Paul generally sings in higher range than Gene, so...

I don't know man. I just think it's a combination of overuse and age.

As for Gene, yeah, he's still pretty good. Like you say, he sings lower than Paul does, so it's probably easier to conserve his voice playing the demon character. As opposed to Paul geeing up the crowd and singing notes on the edge of his range like he does. As well as all the between songs wailing he does!
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I was pretty shocked at the tone of Paul's vocals on the Sonic Boom. I really like the album and his songs, but it's clear that the power in his voice is gone and he's struggling. There's a raspy, gravelly quality that has never been there before. It doesn't sound like a growl, it sounds more like he spent the previous night at a sporting event screaming his throat raw. It sounds horse and painful.

And then I heard some of the live shows via Youtube and it's even worse live.

I still think KISS today gives more show than almost any other touring band in the world, but they are def NOT performing at the level they were in the 70s, 80s or 90s. Maybe it is time for a true farewell and REALLY go out on top?
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
MeteoraXV

Post by MeteoraXV »

Yeah they could do this one more album, tour, and then just quit, Scorpions-style (they're stopping because they want to end their career on a high note, they are getting old as well you know, 60+ or something) maybe they could headline a tour together?? They ARE pretty good friends
what with Judas Priest not touring anymore as well in the near future...I think Ozzy is doing a final tour as well??
It's sad but it seems all the big ol' classic bands are ending their careers sooner or later
It's a fcking MIRACLE Lemmy is still alive, let alone keep doing albums and touring (what with him drinking and smoking every fcking day of his life, sleeping only 4-5 hours a night) He is a Rock God, no doubt
(Oh btw what's Gene gonna make money off of when KISS stops??? Think about that :) :) :) )
warmachine:D

Post by warmachine:D »

I think Paul will stay for one more album, then Gene will replace him with someone else, and keep going as KISS. :|
1SG of the VVFF Army
Euphoria

Post by Euphoria »

Interesting breakdown on the singers songs on Sonic Boom. It's well known about how KISS like to 'split' songs on records so they all get showcased evenly... here, they took it so literally that they didn't even allow anyone to have two songs in a row :D nice and spaced out, I guess!

Paul, Gene, Paul, Gene, Paul (with a verse by Gene), Gene, Eric, Paul, Gene, Tommy, Paul

Erg2, I see your point on Paul's voice on Sonic Boom, but I think it is still a world away from how it sounds on some of the rerecordings. Do you think that they are not performing on a level similar to the 70's, 80's and 90's musically, as well as with Paul's voice? I think musically they are as good as ever. It's just getting harder to support Paul, without Gene taking over some Paul songs. Which... just wouldn't be the same. Paul is iconic. Ace was iconic, but it's much easier to get someone to play like him, than find a new Paul that can sing like him. I can't see that happening really. I'll accept KISS as KISS without Peter and Ace, but without Paul as well? Sorry, no can do.

Genebaby, I don't think they would turn down an Alive 40 tour. The new album tour, once done, still leaves them room for an Alive 40 tour and a possible farewell tour, possibly combined. I don't think they would do the new album, then ignore the anniversary and call it quits... especially not Gene :D
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I'm not a fan of the re-recordings. I understand why they did them (financially), but they lack the fire and power of the originals. The vocals are clearly not what the originals were, either.

Concerning Sonic Boom and the recent tour, Paul's voice is the biggest concern but what I'm mostly talking about is the actual stage performance.
1) Paul doesn't run as fast or jump as high as he once did
2) Nobody really whips their heads/bangs their heads like they once did
3) G&P both are carrying a lot more weight in the last 5 years

I think KISSTORY provides a great opportunity to compare. Compare the B&W 73 Coventry show to videos of the last tour. Yes, they still do many of the same stage moves, but they are slower, more lumbering. (Once again, more than most bands but not what they used to do.)

I think they try to compensate for their physical decline by having more stage show, more pyro and more video...but if you took the KISS of today and put them in the Coventry, filmed it and compared it to 1973 there would be a clear winner.

I still think a KISS at 75% is greater than most bands at 100%. I'm just not sure that with their age and Paul's voice that we will continue to see 75%...
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
MeteoraXV

Post by MeteoraXV »

I think they still rip it up hardcore
For 60+ yo guys (well G&P)
Indeed they do more crazy stuff on stage than most bands do...
They should let Tommy and Eric do more stuff then, they're still youngsters :mrgreen:
I dunno let Tommy do a backflip while soloing (Jake E. Lee-style =P) and let Eric have a flying drumkit with fireworks (yeah like that's ever gonna happen :lol: )
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I believe that Paul's voice has reverted back to his early seventies Wicked Lester / Early Kiss husky voice. I wish he would utilize his rasp more and quit trying to hit the notes he can't anymore.

Robert Plant realizes this and has approached his "older" voice with class and dignity.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Cernex

Post by Cernex »

warmachine:D wrote:I think Paul will stay for one more album, then Gene will replace him with someone else, and keep going as KISS. :|
This, in a nutshell. I dunno, it just seems, thanks to his "particular" reputation, that Gene WILL replace Paul if/when necessary.
Space Galleon Javelin - My space opera web serial. It's free! And complete! Go check it out.
Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon Author page, for if you want to check my fiction and stuff.
Brooklyn_Born

Post by Brooklyn_Born »

Just remember guys...

Kiss
Is
Stanley
Simmons

I can't see Gene continuing the band without his Partner in Crime... It's not like he needs the money? He can continue selling licenses for the Kiss brand without the band going...
Hey man, I am cool, I am the Breeze...

VVFF Rocks Hard!!!
This is not a Hate Forum Vinnie...Capisce!!?
Brooklyn has almost left the Building
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Yep! You are correct BB.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I do not think there will ever be a KISS with JUST Simmons or JUST Stanley.
It is my opinion that when one of them decides to retire, they will create a kind of "KISS Experience". They will find 4 new musicians (perhaps through a reality TV program), write their songs, produce their albums, market, promote and design the tours.
They will continue making money off of the KISS brand and corporation for years to come.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I'll sign up to be in the Kiss Experience band!!!!! I wish!!!!!! I would totally whore myself out, totally!!!
Commander in chief - VVF Army
erg2

Post by erg2 »

If I were 15 years younger I'd be dying my hair blue/black and trying out to be Catman for sure!!
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
Cernex

Post by Cernex »

erg2 wrote:I do not think there will ever be a KISS with JUST Simmons or JUST Stanley.
It is my opinion that when one of them decides to retire, they will create a kind of "KISS Experience". They will find 4 new musicians (perhaps through a reality TV program), write their songs, produce their albums, market, promote and design the tours.
They will continue making money off of the KISS brand and corporation for years to come.
Not necessarily. I don't think that Paul Stanley no longer singing means he would stop out-right collaborating with KISS and Gene in particular. He does not need his voice to write, ;)

In reality, though, I can totally see Gene and Paul making a "show" looking for a replacement for Paul himself, in order to avoid the same kind of "backlash" that Thayer and Singer got. They replaced Ace and Criss without consulting them, and that still divides the fanbase to this day. If they show Paul actually SELECTING his own replacement... well... who knows, really?
Space Galleon Javelin - My space opera web serial. It's free! And complete! Go check it out.
Follow me on Twitter
My Amazon Author page, for if you want to check my fiction and stuff.
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Not that I can say with any authority, but it does seem from what I have read that Gene & Paul do not get along personally. Based on that...and strictly my opinion...is that neither one would let the other continue on alone and since they appear to own the band 50/50, just one could make sure the other doesn't continue. Call it competitiveness. Call it spite.
I think you are right in that they will make a show of picking their own replacements in some way. (Gene loves reality TV and has spoken of doing a KISS reality show before.) Like I said in an earlier post, they both will continue their involvement via writing songs, producing albums, promotion, management, merchandising and tours. The new members will be paid performers and the KISS COMPANY owned by G&P will call all the shots and split the profits.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

erg2 is correct. This will probably all happen within the next 5 years.

NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

It'd be rigged if it ever happened! That Spiro guy that did the GHS ads with Gene back in the 90s would be the only choice. And obviously Rick would replace Paul!! :P :P :P
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Fat Stanley

NEWBEGINNINGS
erg2

Post by erg2 »

shramiac wrote:It'd be rigged if it ever happened!
Come on! It would be every bit as real as Gene Simmons Family Jewels!!
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

poserboy71 wrote:Fat Stanley

C'mon an....burp....luv meee! Aw c'mon...please! Urp! C'mooooonnn! I'll call you! :P :P :P
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

poserboy71 wrote:Fat Stanley
[youtube][/youtube]
Iceman75

Post by Iceman75 »

When I saw them in Zurich, a lot of people were wondering what happened to Paul's voice.
It was waaaay off.
I checked the tour dates and noticed they were playing concerts back to back, sometimes 4 nights in a row.
Paul is 59, and I'm convinced he needs to take a bit of time off between shows to recharge his batteries.
Gene sounded like Gene.
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Iceman75 wrote:When I saw them in Zurich, a lot of people were wondering what happened to Paul's voice.
It was waaaay off.
I checked the tour dates and noticed they were playing concerts back to back, sometimes 4 nights in a row.
Paul is 59, and I'm convinced he needs to take a bit of time off between shows to recharge his batteries.
Gene sounded like Gene.
Supposedly, on the Sonic Boom tour they scheduled only a couple of shows per week...usually near the weekends...to allow "family time", which I attribute to more of "recovery time".

That's interesting because Peter claims they gave HIM a hard time because he wanted more time for recovery between shows and they wanted him out shaking hands and doing promotion.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

No one will pay what Gene and Paul would want for their Kiss tribute band with all new younger members when they could see one at a pub down the street. It would make a good reality tv special but thats as far as it would go. Them saying Kiss will continue without them is just a convenient answer to Tommy and Eric wearing the spaceman and cat makeups.