JOHN NORUM - BACK ON THE STREETS

Post Vinnie Vincent Youtube and similar clips here
SimonSays

JOHN NORUM - BACK ON THE STREETS

Post by SimonSays »

Its actually cover not Vinnie session(as you hear on the solo) but its always interesting to hear other vocal version of this song [youtube][/youtube]
PinkWiz

Re: JOHN NORUM - BACK ON THE STREETS

Post by PinkWiz »

I like this version about as much as I like John Waites' version of Tears... which is not at all. This version just loses the emotion to me... and I've never really been a fan of Goran's vocals.

Nothing beats Vinnie's original BOTS (or Tears) demo with him on vocals.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

PinkWiz wrote:I like this version about as much as I like John Waites' version of Tears... which is not at all. This version just loses the emotion to me... and I've never really been a fan of Goran's vocals.

Nothing beats Vinnie's original BOTS (or Tears) demo with him on vocals.
Agreed :D
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I love it actually!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

1. Dont like it
2. Dont like vocals at all
3. Dont like synth
4. Dont like production

To be honest goran woukd have sucked in vvi. Maybe better than mark live but no way would I want to hear him on either vvi album. Robert and vv far better on original bots. Mark's performance on asg = so much power and emotion. No way goran in vvi I for me. All the criticism against mark he still pulled of one of the best vocal recordings of the 80s with songs like ashes .. love kills etc.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Guitar playing boring as well. No surprises like you get with vv. Norum was good but leagues behind vv. I saw norum live on this tour with goran on vocals and he did very little for me.
Bye Bye
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

doublev2 wrote:Guitar playing boring as well. No surprises like you get with vv. Norum was good but leagues behind vv. I saw norum live on this tour with goran on vocals and he did very little for me.
This is John at his best in 1992 with the GREAT Glenn Hughes! I saw him live with Dokken and he was great playing the old George Lynch Parts much of them on a Les Paul.

[youtube][/youtube]
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

I am with Shram on this one. I love Total Control, great album IMHO and one of my many favorite records. John is one of my favorite players and also a very cool guy in person. I also don't mind Goran's voice. David Snowden told me back in the day, that when Vinnie 1st heard John's version of this song, he really liked Goran's voice. I am not saying I like it better than the others, I just am cool with his voice and if he was on a VV record, I would be more than cool with it. Of course, that will never happen. Love the version though, I like that John revamped it a little to fit his own style. I don't really understand how any guitar player could not dig what John does, at least a little bit. He is a great player in my opinion.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yeah. Good record. Gorans voice good just like what robett and mark did on those records but maybe vv would have pushed goran too. Live goran over mark anyday though. I like the bots solo from norum. John back in 88 said he thought his own solo was much better than vinnies which I thought was odd to say unless it was humour. I know vv liked norums version as he mentioned it a few times and presented it on the headbangers ball.
In same intetview before he joined don dokken he said lynch was his favourite player.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

For people who said bots would have been certain massive hit if released then the norum release of it goes to show it may not have been. I actually like the 3 speed singer better than goran on this performance.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

This version is passable. It's like farting- It feels good, stinks, but few people really enjoy the smell.

Vinnie's is the only one I care to hear. It's from the gut and knocks you to the floor every time you sniff it because you cannot deny the power.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

Haha Rick, Nice analogy. If it is a comparison between the 2 versions, I concur, I prefer Vinnie's version of course. Vinnie's is certainly more powerful no doubt. John's has a more commercial, "radio friendly" feel. Which is cool with me personally, but the original is definitely the best. IMO
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Vinnies version of anything would be best.
What I am trying to say in my stupid way is I think vv would be better for vocalist vv than Goran and knowing mark was not a trained singer I still feel he was the best man for asg. I can not even imagine robert on some of that album.
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Vinnie's voice would've been a better suit for ALL of his recordings imo... I never thought that way until hearing the demos with him on vocals years ago.

The Warrior-Baby-O demo with Cusano on vox is one of my faves.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yeah and great singing in the opening of back on the streets.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Have all of you guys heard the demo Goran did singing songs off the first Invasion album?
Commander in chief - VVF Army
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

FREDDYB3 wrote:Haha Rick, Nice analogy. If it is a comparison between the 2 versions, I concur, I prefer Vinnie's version of course. Vinnie's is certainly more powerful no doubt. John's has a more commercial, "radio friendly" feel. Which is cool with me personally, but the original is definitely the best. IMO

Exactly!

I'm betting everyone would prefer John's version to one done by say Dr Dre or Mrs Beyounce! 8)
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Billy

Post by Billy »

I think both are good. It woulda been cool to hear VVI live with Groan on vocals.
Hello Rainbow Eyes.........Im Back! \m/
RXrocker

Post by RXrocker »

PinkWiz wrote:Vinnie's voice would've been a better suit for ALL of his recordings imo... I never thought that way until hearing the demos with him on vocals years ago.

The Warrior-Baby-O demo with Cusano on vox is one of my faves.
Wow, just listened to that demo. It kicks ass.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Live version from london on youtube somewhere with what looks like ace holding up a vv picture
Bye Bye