Vinnie Vincent Metal Tech

Post Vinnie Vincent Youtube and similar clips here
Portillo

Vinnie Vincent Metal Tech

Post by Portillo »

Hi. I was wondering if someone could tell me which songs are the solos from, which Vinnie plays at the beginning of the video? Thank you very much.

[youtube][/youtube]
erg2

Re: Vinnie Vincent Metal Tech

Post by erg2 »

I was reading some of the youtube comments. Vinnie takes a brutal thrashing by people saying his playing is sloppy and annoying...buzzing bee. Ouch.
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

anyone tried to contact Steve Trovato on fb. he directed this and is easy to ask questions. maybe he can explain the change of hair. I dont ask around anymore.
Bye Bye
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

erg2 wrote:I was reading some of the youtube comments. Vinnie takes a brutal thrashing by people saying his playing is sloppy and annoying...buzzing bee. Ouch.
Yeah I noticed that. Youll be happy to know that some of the best guitarists in the world take a beating from youtube comments. Those people probably cant play guitar themselves but they sure love to criticise.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i love his technique on the video but to be honest i don't like it and I am a huge VV fan of his playing. I like VV playing in songs.. i didn't care for speedball jamm either, have to say it. sorry.
Bye Bye
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

doublev2 wrote:i love his technique on the video but to be honest i don't like it and I am a huge VV fan of his playing. I like VV playing in songs.. i didn't care for speedball jamm either, have to say it. sorry.
There are a few parts in the video that sound a bit sloppy and noisy. If you see Malmsteen in his shred video he sounds clean.

[youtube][/youtube]
ankh

Post by ankh »

apart from the "echo etude" Yngwie own instructional vid was a joke.Even the notation-at one point- was written on the wrong string.As much as he has excellent technique , Yngwie's lack of ideas-and, often, taste- is impressive.

Vinnie's tone on his vid is criticizied by people who are listening to it now, when there's a different idea about guitarist tone.Sometimes there was bit too much effect, for my taste.Also, i'm sure the vid showed just a fraction of what he was capable of,thanks to the corner he did cut himself into.

In general,tutorial videos show more just what people-more or less- expect from the artist.Many- for good reasons- chose just to play was helping them have a nice carreer,like typecasting themselves; only some of those vids were really informative,like, for example,scott henderson's ones.

quote, unquote "if i only played what i like to play ,i would have been long starving.." George Benson
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I agree that people are judging it against today's styles and that's just not fair.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

No-His sound in the video SUCKED THEN and still SUCKS NOW.

I prefer the first VVI sound. I don't hear any shitty gates on his sound there.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i was a HUGE vv fan as everyone knows and when I bought this in 89 (i think) I rushed home pissing my pants in the process. I have to say I was a little dissapointed. I found it pretty annoying and boring for the most part. That said I love to watch the technique. Its the same as speedball jamm, it does nothing for me and shows not much of what I really love about Vinnie. But that said (for the second time) I still loved it. I think for me VV is about the songs and what he does with the solos as part of them, seperated from the songs like this don't do a lot for me. But still VV was number 1 for me.
Bye Bye
metatron

Post by metatron »

I think Vinnie would have done a great job at doing a Instrumental album. Would have been great to hear all the different layers & Chord/Lead phrasing he could have come up with. Sadly, this will more than likely never occur.
Even some Brown Guitar stuff like this for Dino. :D
[youtube][/youtube]

One of my favourite instrumental albums is Tony MacAlpine's Maximum Security, Released In 1987. It also features guest spots by Night Ranger's Jeff Watson (Track #6), and Dokken's George Lynch (Track #3, 9).
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Dannii, Tony's Maximum Security and Vinnie Moore's first two releases are my favorite Shrapnel INSTRUMENTAL releases.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I would love to have heard an instrumental record from him.
Bye Bye
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

Vinnie sounds very clean and slick on Speedball Jamm, compared to the noisyness of the metal tech video.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

That fucking stupid gate.

NEWBEGINNINGS

Post by 1031 »

The metal tech video was terrible, he showed some great ideas but then he cranks it up and it just sounded like crap. Just another of his really great ideas with failed execution
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

It's good but didn't sound as good as good as I hoped but some cool things in it , but I would have liked some slower more emotional stuff too , vv is at his best when he rolls in and out of emotion and speed like the invincible solo.
Bye Bye
vvjunkie

Post by vvjunkie »

I remember back on the dv that Vinnie said he did not like the way the video came out. He did not have the right speaker for what he wanted. He said it was to late to fix it are redo what he had in mind.
If you see me fallen and endless fall
If you hear me calling a never ending call
If you see me bleeding I'm losing control
If you see me dying I'm dying alone.
vvjunkie

Post by vvjunkie »

I got my copy off of eBay I do not play I just wanted because it was Vinnie I've watched it so many times I could probably play guitar...lol
If you see me fallen and endless fall
If you hear me calling a never ending call
If you see me bleeding I'm losing control
If you see me dying I'm dying alone.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Thanks Tina. Good to know.
Bye Bye
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

vvjunkie wrote:I remember back on the dv that Vinnie said he did not like the way the video came out. He did not have the right speaker for what he wanted. He said it was to late to fix it are redo what he had in mind.
Yeah it sounds totally off.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Still I find the playing not to be my favourite playing from vv.
On his dv board I just read that he was saying that was a present to the fans so he must be some what ok with it.
Bye Bye
mrblitz

Post by mrblitz »

despite any technical problems (gating, speakers, etc.), i think this is brilliant.

are any parts sped up?

it seems to me the naysayers on the youtube thread don't have videos of their own which can be critiqued...

so many of the other shredders; they might be 'better' technically; but there isn't anyone who plays quite like vinnie.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

You got that right!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

poserboy71 wrote:Dannii, Tony's Maximum Security and Vinnie Moore's first two releases are my favorite Shrapnel INSTRUMENTAL releases.
Tony Macalpine is awesome.

[youtube][/youtube]
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yeah vv was unique.. why we all still sticking around here. We loved his playing and writing
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

mrblitz wrote:...so many of the other shredders; they might be 'better' technically; but there isn't anyone who plays quite like vinnie.
That's why I love the first VVI album to this day. I think it's one of the best metal albums of the 80s. Not only because the songs are well written, but because in the avalanche of metal bands with shredding lead guitars VVI sounded like nobody else. To this day it still sounds like nobody else. When a new band would come out I would be told "They sound like a mix of A and B". You couldn't ever say that about VVI.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Very true and part of the reason we are here STILL. :D

NEWBEGINNINGS
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

erg2 wrote:That's why I love the first VVI album to this day. I think it's one of the best metal albums of the 80s. Not only because the songs are well written, but because in the avalanche of metal bands with shredding lead guitars VVI sounded like nobody else. To this day it still sounds like nobody else. When a new band would come out I would be told "They sound like a mix of A and B". You couldn't ever say that about VVI.
Bombastic. :wink:
mrblitz

Post by mrblitz »

One of the things that strikes me about this series of videos, is Vinnie's use of the word 'pulse' to describe some of the runs. It looks like with the double-picking, it's not striclty up-down-up-down lather rinse repeat.

And if memory serves, he mentions that during the double-picking runs, he will stop with the pick for a note or two, and use hammer-ons and pull-offs; thus creating that 'pulse'. That's also leaving out any discussion of the 'chicken picking' parts.

Whatever it is; it's phreaking amazing.

It just goes to show; everyone can play something their own way. It doesn't have to be 'by the book' of Al Dimeola or whatever. Each player could theoretically create something amazing, all their own; and Vinnie was one of the very best.

In the '80s, I didn't listen to Vinnie. So it was only recently that I began listening. In my book, VInnie could very well be 'the best guitarist in the world'.

It would be so cool, if Vinnie were to start producing albums again. With an 'in the box approach', he could load up some drum tracks, add some bass lines, some vocals, and shred all over again; then put it on cd-baby and make some money.

Further, my guess is that he's got a full-blown studio; with old-style 2-inch, 24-track tape (or maybe 1" 8-track or 16-track).

He just needs to sit down and create again. The thing is to build the platform (drums, bass, chord progressions, vocals), and shred away! This would be a perfect time for his guitar playing to come back, and be known again.

As it stands, Vinnie has got to be one of the most bizarre showbiz figures of all time. Here's hoping he can come back and put a strong addendum on it all.

(color me, contemplating 'the pulse')
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Nice post mrblitz, I agree.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

What a great post!

Welcome here!

Kev
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Cool Blitzbaby!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

mrblitz wrote:It would be so cool, if Vinnie were to start producing albums again.
His most likely not as good as he used to be though. :(
erg2

Post by erg2 »

mrblitz wrote: It would be so cool, if Vinnie were to start producing albums again. With an 'in the box approach', he could load up some drum tracks, add some bass lines, some vocals, and shred all over again; then put it on cd-baby and make some money.

Further, my guess is that he's got a full-blown studio; with old-style 2-inch, 24-track tape (or maybe 1" 8-track or 16-track).

He just needs to sit down and create again. The thing is to build the platform (drums, bass, chord progressions, vocals), and shred away! This would be a perfect time for his guitar playing to come back, and be known again.

As it stands, Vinnie has got to be one of the most bizarre showbiz figures of all time. Here's hoping he can come back and put a strong addendum on it all.

(color me, contemplating 'the pulse')
Welcome MrBlitz and I think almost everyone here has the same wish for new VV music.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
ankh

Post by ankh »

“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Nice find!!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

very interesting and the sound bytes do sound like Vinnie
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

[youtube][/youtube]

The 484 comments on the video are still interesting to read. Are some of the negative comments an explanation of why he stopped making music?

Of course, for me, Vinnie is still interesting to watch and listen to in this video! I wish he could do some sort of a "Metal tech II, the return". That would be an original way to show himself.
say two sky two say fare
rock1ankh

Post by rock1ankh »

The only thing I found really bad in the video was the guitar tone, but as explained, not turned out the way he wanted, this video was very important to me, I managed to do most of the licks, and had many ideas about them melodically, actually that was the main idea of licks, people criticize, but 2 out of 10 people who attended sat down and analyzed lick by lick, some are very good, honestly in my opinion brilliant, I also adopted his way of thinking about the fretboard, incorporated with my and some other idols, from what I understand he usually works on the CAGED and chromaticism in addition to the pentatonic, harmonic minor and the whole tone scale (which he cites in the video).
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Once again, I wouldn't say anything against Vinnie's style because I love it, and i think the licks he shows in this video are brilliant, too. However, I think what roman14032 writes is interesting, because the Vinnie aspects he criticize are qualities after all, strangely... "WORLD CLASS VIRTUOSO OF SHREDDERS" : Vinnie gave to the word "shredder" all its meaning.

I quote roman14032 :

you might be wondering
"this guy obviously has a great understanding of music theory and he obviously practiced and played a great deal,why does he play so horribily?",
ill tell you.
he practiced TOO MUCH
practiced too much? is that possible?
yes, when you practiced the wrong things,and listened too little.
this guy is the all time poster boy for how thinking and practicing in terms of SCALES will turn you into a worse player the more you practice.he has trained his ears so thoughly in this approach, he cant hear how unmusical it is to us,
your ears will do that, they will start to like what you feed them.
in essence, he has trained himself into tone deafness,
its the same reason vinnies fans cant hear why everybody eles says he sucks he is a WORLD CLASS VIRTUOSO OF BAD PLAYING.
yes, it can happen, it is pretty common
here it is right in front of you
its happens when people practice the wrong things too much, namely to much scales.
you have to develope good taste
how?....it's simple and automatic.......listen to alot of good music
the basics, the classics
bach,beehtoven or django, miles or jimi, sinatra or zappa,ravi shankar or rush all the greats...any style,any instrument any culture, dosen't matter.
dont have to think about it .just listen
its like food,
if you eat all the best cooking or wine , try it all, chinese,indian, mexican italian,french,you'll develope good taste in food and wine.automatically.
you'll know good, youll know bad,stale or fresh
if all you ever eat is your own cooking you throw together randomly from the old crap you have lying around, your taste is going to get wierd.
CHORD TONE SOLOS, NOT SCALE TONE SOLOS IS HOW TO DO IT.
if you think and practice scales too much you will sound like this,
.......and this..........well, it ain't good,lets leave it at that
say two sky two say fare
Shandi

Post by Shandi »

Omg this is the video what I have been looking for!! I just love the solos what Vinnie plays, and Vinnie seems so nice and great guy :D and I love his hair. Vinnie is just amazing!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Too bad that he is just miming at the beginning of the recording. He doesn't start playing live until the instruction begins. Some of his initial play along is out of time
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

I've been watching this video again today. So great! And he has some sort of a chord approach when he plays B minor/D notes on an E major chord...

Each VVFF member who forgets to watch Vinnie´s instructional video every three months should be severly punished. What do you think?
say two sky two say fare
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

birnie

Post by birnie »

It truly is an amazing example of crazy talent.
I haven't watched it in a while but every time I do, it's a rude reminder of how good he is (yes, my memory is short)
Kathyrindhoeps

Post by Kathyrindhoeps »

Now there's a video I would like to see. Not available on YouTube now, it seems. Am I too late to the party?
As for Macalpine, holy mother of Mary! Maximum Security was the first ever CD I bought, didn't have anything to play it on so a mate taped it for me, still love his leads. I remember frothing over the sound he got in the fast picking bits. Oh well.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Hi Pete, the video is still available on Youtube, as per the first post, or just search Youtube for it, good luck!
Kathyrindhoeps

Post by Kathyrindhoeps »

[youtube][/youtube]

What I get says 'video not available' right across the thumbnail. Guess it must be blocked to the UK viewer. Aaaarrrggh!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ok, I can still see it fine. Are you one a phone? More things are not view able on a phone for some reason, or it may be blocked in the UK, which would be sucky.