Jazz Fusion?

Post any Vinnie pics here
RXrocker

Jazz Fusion?

Post by RXrocker »

The caption on the bottom makes me laugh. Not the fact that Vinnie was a fusion fan, but the fact he promised All Systems Go would be more of a fusion album. Not that Vinnie's promises mean much... :wink:
PinkWiz

Re: Jazz Fusion?

Post by PinkWiz »

yeah, I guess I could hear a solid fusion influence in Ecstasy...
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Grover Jackson pre amps. Jx3. https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/imag ... SpAqbVEypQ

He also used Seymour duncan amps
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Maybe ashes to ashes solo has a sort of jazz fusion thing. I almost thing it has a piazzolla thing going on but possibly jazz whipped in.
Bye Bye
Possio

Post by Possio »

ashes to ashes solo is a "2 5 1 jazz progression" / ii-V-I turnaround,
very common, songs like "Misty" bla bla bla all have it...
I love that solo, I don´t think Ive ever heard that kinda thing in a Heavy Hard Rock song before or since.?
Zep used some cool "jazzier"progressions in songs like Ten Years Gone etc, but not as jazzy as this..cool..
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

yes agree. i knew a lot of teenagers who thought the solo let the song down when i played it to them. I feel that the solo (extended one anyway) ended up in invincible. A lot of the meat and potatoes metal heads could not accept that kind of solo back then. I think now maybe they are more open minded in general. I always loved Ashes solo and the whole song
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

pretty interesting sounding without the solo [youtube][/youtube]
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

he could take the rhythm part during the solo from 3.07 and make a killer tune on its own. man that would ROCK
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Dino, I've always thought the same thing®
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

damn, actually I just came up with killer phrasing in my head for a vocal to go over the 3:07 riff...now time for a title...
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

as the ashes to ashes solo got cut to hell this all got a bit lost. i think vv could get away with re-using it as a song. i think potentially it could be one of the best tunes ever.
lets hear your vocal pink w.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

vinnie is a genius.. who would come up with that. it all shouldn't sound as good as it does.. this is VV's genius.. the heavy mixed with the moody is brilliant. I wish he would either put out an epic 8 minute version of Ashes or use that 3.07 break to full potential. Its better than anything I heard from Dokken
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

The thing I would want more than anything from Vinnie is an instrumental record. Shrapnel records style. Not a Speedball jamm thing but something that shows off the Ashes / Invincible style solos with great melodies / jazz fusion/ neo classical and heavy rhythms. Man that is what I would want to hear most. I know it may not be a commercial success but that what I would listen to.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Now be honest.........who didn't whistle/hum the solo over that passage??? Especially from the volume swells onwards!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Including the whole tone wangbar flutter bit!!!)
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
metatron

Post by metatron »

doublev2 wrote:yes agree. A lot of the meat and potatoes metal heads could not accept that kind of solo back then.
That's the problem with Metal Heads. A lot (not all) love being ignorant (all in the name of Rock n' Roll). And then again, these same people hate being pigeon holed. Prime example, when Slaughter came out. (Don't get me wrong, Mark is great. Love him in ASG and Blas Elias is a great drummer) it was water down 'safe' rock. Easily digestible and non offensive. Really how can you compare VVI to Slaughter. VVI is like getting a perfect cordial mix (water & cordial) chilled to the right temperature on that hot Summer day. Slaughter is like getting that same cordial mix (water & cordial) and then adding double the amount of water to it. It's Ok, but it's not brilliant.

I remember going to a Terry Bozzio clinic and Terry saying this about the 'Metal Heads'. That he loves living up high in the L.A. Hills so he can throw rocks at the Metal Heads. This comment was in regards to the closed minded ways of 'most' Metal Heads. Then Terry proceeded to fuck my brain up with his playing :)
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Good comparison of VVI and Slaughter there Dannii.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

yes good one Dannii. Slaughter was made to be COMMERCIAL. VVI was commercial at core but was also about musicianship like Jazz or Classical, its not only about a great tune but about how its played and what you can do with it. That takes it out of the commercial realm, unless some stupid metal head says its ok to like it. Too bad as I would like to have heard VVI even more overboard.. 2 minute drum solos and 4 minute guitar solos wrapped around the tunes. I don't know if people still like Slaughter??? Usually that commercial crap dies but VVI will survive.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

that said BOTS, Ashes, Love kills, that time of year, substitute, Ecstasy, O Baby are all commercial tunes. Still scratchin' my head how at least one of them didn't hit real big.
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Yeah Slaughter was catering to the lowest common denominator... VVI just happened to be commercial AND edgy at the same time.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yes, ASG had it all baby, it had it all. What happened?

Slaughter was like fast food after VVI. Enjoyable but ultimately not as filling, or good for you, lol.
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Thanx Vic, now I'm cravin' a Big Mac... :P

Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Now that's a BIG Mac!!!!!
heavystef

Post by heavystef »

Actally, I also hear a little bit of fusion stuff in VVs music. But, of course, his music isn't jazz/fusion, only some of the scales and voicings he uses is influenced by that. Listen to Al Skolnick - it's just the same. Kirk Hammet is a BLUES player - Metallica, of course, don't play blues.

B.t.w. - John Mc Laighlin is one of my favorite players of all time...

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Please, take time to listen! It's worth every second of your life! Cheers! Stef 8)
And on the 8th day god created rock'n roll!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

yeah vv was big in jazz fusion. All kinds of jazz including gypsy jazz etc. I think the jazz/classical/country thing kicks ass. I don't hear a huge amount of blues coming from vv but I will have to listen again.
Bye Bye
KissMyAss

Post by KissMyAss »

It does.
Live life as though it is the third law; "to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Rules apply whether we are cognizant of them or oblivious.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Only music i can not get into is blues, punk and that English 80s new wave stuff which is very cold and soulless in my opinion. Oh and nu metal is not my cup of tea.
Bye Bye