SOME MEMORIES FROM BACK IN THE DAY

Post any Vinnie pics here
kirky666

Re: SOME MEMORIES FROM BACK IN THE DAY

Post by kirky666 »

Many Thanks for the Hammerjacks stub. Great memories. $5 What a bargain! I think I paid about 5 times that for my taxi there and back though. Had only just come to Baltimore on the Saturday and didn't know any other way to get there. It's a shame LA Guns didn't play, but it was a great night.
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

Hey kirky666 ..... Wasn't sure if you were still around to see this. Glad you had the chance to find it.
Enjoy! Sorry it took me so long to upload the stuff ....
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

FREDDYB3 wrote:I just realized Dino won't get half of that as he only reads the "1st and last lines" of large posts.
LOL ! Just kidding Dino !

LOL Now that makes sense. So many times the answers were posted right there and you'd see a reply asking for the answer that was already given.
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

LOL Getting it late , is better than never getting it at all Brainsaw.... Happy New Year to you my friend !
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

FREDDYB3 wrote:LOL Getting it late , is better than never getting it at all Brainsaw.... Happy New Year to you my friend !
Thanks Happy New Year to you too!

Nice low membership number in the fan club. Although, I guess you lived in MD (?) so your mail didn't have far to travel.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

At least you're reading someone's posts to get to know them. :D
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

FREDDYB3 wrote:Just another thought on pro-shot video..... I am almost certain that the Alice Cooper concert that aired on MTV in 86 or 87 (Constrictor tour ) was shot while VVI was with them. Possibly some of it shot in Cleveland,Ohio. Much like the KISS Animalize video was partially shot there as well.

The Cooper show was done live from what I remember. Joe Louis Arena. I think the 2nd night of two nights there.

Marty Callner did it.

I would imagine they shot the first night just in case something happened during the live MTV airing and they could go to the tape. Not sure and never asked about it.

I doubt VVI was shot by them. That was like a 12 or 14 camera shot production. That's alot of money--especially back then. Hell of alot cheaper to shoot these days than back then.

The Hammerjack shows wouldn't have cost anything to shoot. Weren't there just two or three stationary cameras? I'm sure somebody hit record on those tape machines each night. Who wouldn't?? If they did, they've got one hell of a collection there.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

What makes you think its cheaper to film now than back then? Its based on what you use. Something I know about.
Yes its cheaper now in someways because people higher untrained cheap labour but a good production would not be cheaper now than 86 unless using amateur or semi amateur equipment which I hate personally.
Are you saying marty directed vvi as well as alice..I doubt it but I will ask ariund.. why would they pay marty to film vvi as well?
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I just emailed the director so we will see. I do know vv mentioned on the dv board it was taped now I think back.
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

doublev2 wrote:What makes you think its cheaper to film now than back then? Its based on what you use. Something I know about.
Yes its cheaper now in someways because people higher untrained cheap labour but a good production would not be cheaper now than 86 unless using amateur or semi amateur equipment which I hate personally.
Are you saying marty directed vvi as well as alice..I doubt it but I will ask ariund.. why would they pay marty to film vvi as well?
When are you going to learn to stop questioning the Ass Pimple? Clearly if you hire a professional film crew to document 2-3 hours of a concert, they are OBVIOUSLY going to film an additional hour gratis. I mean...that additional hour is practically gratis really. There is no planning involved. There is no materials involved. There is no labor involved. There is no post-production involved. There are no rights issues involved. It's just filming a concert, right?
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

They would have at the very least filmed Vinnie's set to get their angles and communications in order.

NEWBEGINNINGS
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

Yes, I agree Rick ....I think they would have filmed at least a portion of the VVI set... if nothing more than a test.
I would be shocked, if something didn't exist. Finding it is another issue altogether. Iron Maiden also put out pro shot concert footage from the time that VVI was with them. So.......

@Brainsaw.... on the fan club thing...yes i live in MD. Actually, I was very close friends with Dave Snowden back then, we were friends before he started the VVI fan club. He was doing the KISS Force with Keith LeRoux (forgive the spelling) before Vinnie's. I may be mistaken, but I believe Keith went on to start KISSonline.com .

When Dave told me he was starting a VVI fan club and asked if I would join it, I said absolutely.
He then added a number of members before adding me.. I jokingly told him that I was pissed that he didn't have me in the 1st 10 ! LOL
Last edited by FREDDYB3 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

On the the hammerjack's video subject.... I believe they recorded all their paid concerts and it was a simple stationary video camera stationed right next to the sound board on the 2nd level. Several other videos shot there exist to this day
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

poserboy71 wrote:They would have at the very least filmed Vinnie's set to get their angles and communications in order.
Why didn't you at least ask either of the two nutcases where I claimed they shot VVI's set? They should have been asking you that and directing all of what they said to you ;).

I think the two of them both lack basic reading skills.

And no, most likely what they did is set up and film Alice before the crowd ever arrived. That's when they were getting their angles and everything else needed for the shoot.

Then, most likely, they filmed the entire show the night before and that show was set to air on MTV if they had a problem during the live broadcast.

I wasn't at either Detroit show (I wish I was) but the angles etc for VVI aren't the same as Alice's. The whole stage set up is completely different.
Last edited by Brainsaw on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

FREDDYB3 wrote: When Dave told me he was starting a VVI fan club and asked if I would join it, I said absolutely.
He then added a number of members before adding me.. I jokingly told him that I was pissed that he didn't have me in the 1st 10 ! LOL

I don't know what's worse--charging a friend or not giving you the lowest number ;).

I remember reading the story about the 3,000 pieces of mail after the FC address was given out and the post office making the fan club switch from a regular PO box size to a much larger one.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I will have to look to see if it was video or film. If it was film filming the vvi set would have been expensive and not a given plus not all bands give permission to film. Maybe it was filmed maybe not.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I know a director who filmed an ac/dc concert in 1988 and dokken opened . They only used it for the second video off of the ac/dc album but they did not film anything from dokken who were opening.
Record labels were very funny about people recording video back then if it wasnt approved.
But I do recall vv saying it was taped.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Even to record on pro video back in mid eighties and have it transfered and edited would have been seriously expensive.. so who was paying to film vvi open for alice? Maybe it was recorded and just left unedited.
I will look at the alice show if someone has a link to see if it was film or video.
Editors.. camera operators.. dps .. techs etc were heavily unionised back then .
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Since the cameras were already set up, I believe both acts were filmed ( at Maiden and Alice).
Maybe VVI had the OPTION to buy the film...

NEWBEGINNINGS
erg2

Post by erg2 »

doublev2 wrote:Even to record on pro video back in mid eighties and have it transfered and edited would have been seriously expensive.. so who was paying to film vvi open for alice?
This is all I'm saying. To have a crew film an hour WITH usable sound AND edit it into something viewable would cost a shitload of time and money. I could be wrong, but I doubt it happened. To get angles and sound and whatever...wouldn't they do it as part of soundcheck?
poserboy71 wrote:Since the cameras were already set up, I believe both acts were filmed ( at Maiden and Alice).
Maybe VVI had the OPTION to buy the film...
Believe or know?
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Freddy didnt you meet snowden at the baltimore show?
I think vv gave him the door not long after.
Bye Bye
FREDDYB3

Post by FREDDYB3 »

Again... I have known David since '84... at least a full 2 years prior to VVI
Just a clarifaication... David and I lost touch sometime after '88-'89 and went years
without speaking. We re-connected thru facebook within the last year or so.