First time you heard vv music

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
doublev2

First time you heard vv music

Post by doublev2 »

Was just walking past a record store I bought the first vvi album in. I remember being surprised as I didn't know at the time vv had a solo record out. I must have bought it the day it came out. The record store actually had it filed under kiss and not 'v' something they used to do a little bit back them. Kiss were not a huge pull in 1986 like they are now or in the 70s but still had some following.
Vv was always my favourite as I loved the underdog and vv seemed like that to me. As hard as it was to tell who played what on kiss records I always loved lick it up. Don't forget it was not commonly known in 1986 or even later on that Vinnie played on creatures or even who Vincent Cusano in relation to songwriting credits was. The first I knew about it was the re release album cover of creatures where it credited Vinnie and ace as guitarists unlike the original which was nice seen as vv had already quit the band. I have to say at first I thought Bruce on the cover was actually Vinnie and some how changed a lot.
The first listen on vvi is something of an awakening. Nothing can prepare you for it. I have to say I wasn't sure if I loved it or hated it at first which to me is always a great sign.
Then it was addictive. I listened to that album everyday without a doubt until Asg came out. Invasion was always my favourite tune. That song is epic. I feel it's actually quite a forgotten tune and never been played live but for me it has everything.
I remember Roberts voice struck me as being so different. I know so many falsetto voices but his seemed to have no low end which I loved. He is like a human mandolin or violin. It was weird to hear someone so dynamic yet all on the high end of the scale. In a lot of ways a Dave Coverdale voice may have made more hits from the album but the sheer balls of vv and Robert etc was amazing. It's like a total reckless album in a very good way. Vv beet the system and labels in getting such a mad record released on a mid sized record label.
Just reminded me of my childhood and the great memories Vinnie's music had for me.
Whatever happened or happens vv pulled off something I don't think could have happened or ever will again. The genius of vv will always be celebrated and his amazing mythic persona deemed good or bad will always go down in the stuff of legend.
You can live you life on the edge or live it safe. Usually on the edge you loose everything, die broke and are loved and hated but you leave a footprint that lasts forever. Whatever anyone says including me VV can not be faulted for his incredible work and crazy good ideas and inspiration.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Re: First time you heard vv music

Post by poserboy71 »

Amen and pass the stuffing.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
wolfgang161272

Post by wolfgang161272 »

I've heard my guitar hero has a new album. Read it on BRAVO, THE kids music magazine in Germany.
Gone to the record store, bought the album and gone back home.
The LP on the player and the first song Boys... Nothing ever heard like this - this was bombastic super duper cool music and an amazing guitar work.
I was 13 years old and his stuff blow my mind...
This was the first time that something impressed my so much in this way..
madvincent

Post by madvincent »

I stumbled across the first album in my record local store at the time. I knew VV was fired from KISS and didn't know he had a new album a coming out. I bought it right away as I was a fan of his songwriter skills for COTN and LIU and of course his playing.

I was blown away by the guitar sound, the soloing. I understood he downplayed with KISS. I was also surprised by Robert Fleishmann's voice, too high for my ears. But i got used to it and regretted it when I heard Mark on ASG.

I'm still blown away to this day by this "extreme hair metal" first album. Nothing like this has been released since.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I remember reading that Vinnie parted ways with Kiss in a guitar magazine. I anxiously waited for that album to come out. When it did, I wasn't disappointed.
I will add this. Most guitar players lose their fire once the endorsements and signature guitars start coming into play.
Vinnie is one of the only guitar players whose playing got more ferocious when a signature guitar came into existence.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

I loved CoTN and LIU, so I knew who he was. Once I knew about VVI, I got one of my brothers to pick it up for me and I sat in a lounge chair and played the cassette in my PYE "walkmin"!!! I can still remember sitting there listening. Funnily enough, I was thinking at the time, "I hope he doesn't play another solo like he did on the last few songs!" and when he did, I was disappointed!

Then I listened to the album again... and again... and again! :P :P :P
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I can't remember exactly when it was, but I was a big KISS fan and it was after I read many interviews where Gene and Paul were not that gracious about VVI, but I eventually gave them a listen and was blown away, playing them over and over.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

There was a vinyl interview disc where gene was asked about all ex kiss members in 1987. He said Vinnie's best work was in kiss when he was controlled. Gene did say he loved Ace's solo album especially Rock Soldiers. He mentioned he hoped Mark would make better things than white tiger. My memory on what he thought of peters work is non existent. I remember in late 80s peter had a band called Great Balls of Fire and then CRISS . he he. I think Mark St John was in both from memory. I could not imagine a weirder mix than Peter Criss and Mark St John. Polar opposites. I guess Mark was into jazz fusion but still Peter wouldn't be able to keep up.
I feel Vinnie would have been the only guy that could have helped Peter amongst past and present kiss members. Vv could have written and produced and lp for Peter because Vv knows where peter is coming from. But mark st john couldn't write well as far as I can tell.
Bye Bye