Speedball Jamm

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
evh5150

Speedball Jamm

Post by evh5150 »

What do we know about Speedball Jamm? When was it recorded, why was it recorded and what was Vinnie's state at that time.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: Speedball Jamm

Post by Genebaby »

What was released as the Speedball Jamm CD is one long audio file of different performances of a solo piece.

It's not one long, massive solo, but the same thing over and over.

Considering what was meant to be in the Archives, this release was a poor replacement.

Especially sadly of course was that nothing else followed.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
aeroflott

Post by aeroflott »

It's an interesting insight into his playing style, but I can't say I've listened to it more than once. The fatigue would set in for me after 10 minutes. Not to mention you can't select any tracks, it just plays through as one recording.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i think it was recorded live in early 1987 and it was released in 2001 (or 2002). It was at first sold online from a company in the midwest as a new VV album. I was on the pre-order list but once I read the review that it was just a solo i cancelled my pre-order.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

vv had a little add that was sent to the pyro messiah vv forum at the time which had the slogan 'shock and awe' - Speedball Jamm
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i found virtually no music in the playing. it almost like he is practising his speed. I really have no idea why it was released as an album
Bye Bye
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Dino,
I paid over $40 for Speed Ball Jam brand new the first week that it was in stock so once again Vinnie has always had a very high level of self worth for his items for sale. If memory serves me he sold Euphoria new for 20 or 25 dollars too for 4 new songs. Very high prices always which I'm sure reduced the amount of sales that he enjoyed some what

Kev
evh5150

Post by evh5150 »

ok I didnt know if it was recorded fresh when it was released? what would be the most current recordings? GFH?
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

most current is Euphoria EP. But they are re-mixed and partially re-recorded versions of GFH tunes. Robert who sang on EP was never called to the studio in Nashville during the re-recording. Robert also said that the vocals you hear on GFH demo and Euphoria EP were not intended to be the final version (eg vocals still at the demo stage).
I am aware that he has country demos he shopped around a few years ago but it could be that they were also recorded and demo'd in mid 90s. He definetly recorded for a while i think around 1995 at Quad Studios in Nashville but unless he has been very good at disguising himself it appears he has not been recording outside of his home since the mid nineties.
Bye Bye
evh5150

Post by evh5150 »

I wonder if he records a lot in his house wherever he lives. Would be very cool to hear what he has.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Not likely much since the late 1990's
Sandimas

Post by Sandimas »

Speedball Jamm sounds like it was recorded in his house... !

It actually sounds like a band rehearsal when you put a ghetto blaster in the corner on the room to record ideas as the band rehearses.

The playing is fast and intricate for sure but I'm not sure why the drummer bothered showing up.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Good summation!
Commander in chief - VVF Army
heavystef

Post by heavystef »

I paid exactly 0,99 EUROs for the MP3 version on AMZON. (Completely legal!!!) And that's exactly what it is worth...
And on the 8th day god created rock'n roll!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

It's recorded during sound check while opening up for alice Cooper
Bye Bye