VVI Live - Lip Syncing?

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
aeroflott

VVI Live - Lip Syncing?

Post by aeroflott »

I'm sure this has been spotted before (did a search, couldn't find a thread). I was browsing YouTube this morning and watched some of the Invasion live show in Toronto in '88.

[youtube][/youtube]

I'm really surprised to see them clearly lip syncing the backing vocals. I hate seeing this. Crue have done it for years I know, but it does remove a lot from a live show IMO. I would have thought Vinnie would want to give an authentic live show. Maybe his OCD nature with regards to his music (as described in the recent Bobby Rock blog post) meant he couldn't deal with the possibility that backing vocals wouldn't be anything but perfect.
tukoztukoz

Re: VVI Live - Lip Syncing?

Post by tukoztukoz »

Did someone wait during the whole show to push the backing vocals button at the right time? Was it Bobby hitting a pad?
say two sky two say fare
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

80's hair metal had to have big vocals! I don't like it either. Would rather the rawness of two guys trying to belt out the backup vocals.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
roustabout23

Post by roustabout23 »

tukoztukoz wrote:Did someone wait during the whole show to push the backing vocals button at the right time? Was it Bobby hitting a pad?
possibly a triggered pad back then, most likely, the band played to a tape that had JUST the backing vocals on it, and ran the whole length of the show.. meaning the whole show was not "live" as such... Pink Floyd did the original Wall tour this way... playing to the orchestral tracks. just play the song the way it appears on the album... no improvs.
roustabout23

Post by roustabout23 »

they may have also been using an eventide harmonizer...
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I listened to them sound check for hours. They definitely had reinforcement via prerecorded parts. I am going to guess that Bobby had control of the parts and could get them in and out of them at will. It seemed like there was plenty of improvisation during a lot of the songs.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Bobby should tell about that in his next chapters...
say two sky two say fare
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Vvi had big backing vocals I am certain they did it to give a bigger sound and not as a cheat. I have no problem with it
Bye Bye