Welcome To Hell: Recording Drums for the First Vinnie Vincent Invasion Album – Part 1

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
Genebaby
Site Admin

Welcome To Hell: Recording Drums for the First Vinnie Vincent Invasion Album – Part 1

Post by Genebaby »

Bobby is back, writing about his experience recording the first VVI album.

Another damn good read from Bobby.

https://bobbyrock.wordpress.com/2016/01 ... um-part-1/
Commander in chief - VVF Army
LLinvasion

Re: Welcome To Hell: Recording Drums for the First Vinnie Vincent Invasion Album – Part 1

Post by LLinvasion »

Damn no kidding. Sweet read
Arjen

Re: Welcome To Hell: Recording Drums for the First Vinnie Vincent Invasion Album – Part 1

Post by Arjen »

Real cool read. I could t stop thinking this is actaully "book material" Im sure he has plenty of stories to share. It would actually be cool if all band member shared their stories and combine them in a book.
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

A book from each, like with KISS, would be fantastic!!!!

Please realise guys how lucky we are to even have this link here.

Links to things like this, written by other Invasion members, or just "other" people that weren't Vinnie, would not be allowed on a Vinnie run board.

This is what Let Freedom Rock is all about here.

When Vinnie controlled DoulbeV, while it was still up and we were all there, shortly before it went down, he deleted a sweet link to a Bobby interview that someone had posted. I was so annoyed.
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Suddenly, midway through the track, Vinnie’s index finger shot up toward the studio monitors and he blurted out, “There! Right there! Did you hear that kick drum? It’s off.”

Huh?

Mikey rolls the tape back about 30 seconds and we all listen from that point.

“There!” Vinnie repeated. “That third kick after the second snare fill. It’s off with the machine.”

HELL !
say two sky two say fare
Arjen

Post by Arjen »

A true genius :))
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I thought vvi drums were week, tinny and a bit artificial sounding. Nothing against bobby but I just don't think it's the strongest part of the vvi. Live I did like them through. Just my thoughts.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev2 wrote:I thought vvi drums were week, tinny and a bit artificial sounding. Nothing against bobby but I just don't think it's the strongest part of the vvi. Live I did like them through. Just my thoughts.
Bobby explained in the interview with Earl Skakel that the drums sound was MASSIVE but it didn't translate to the tape.

It would be cool to hear what they were hearing.

Vinnie knew what he wanted and didn't compromise. KUDOS
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Bobbie is a good writer
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: RE: Re: Welcome To Hell: Recording Drums for the First Vinnie Vincent Invasion Album – Part 1

Post by Genebaby »

doublev2 wrote:I thought vvi drums were week, tinny and a bit artificial sounding. Nothing against bobby but I just don't think it's the strongest part of the vvi. Live I did like them through. Just my thoughts.
Wait for part two, that should explain more what happened.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

have not had time to read it yet. i know that Vinnie wanted the Def Leppard drum sound from what i read. The big stadium sound. I think Bobby was unhappy with his Sonor set in the studio too. Yes so many tracks would take away from the drums. A shame we can not hear the original masters without compression to whatever format.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

You'll see he recorded the first album with some borrowed Yamaha Recording Series drums when you read it, Dino.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Asg he had the issue wtih the sonor set.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Ok just read it. Really great read. I bet the early takes would have been far better. I do agree that the drums in vvi were too sterile
Bye Bye
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

I'm used to listen to the first VVI on a very compressed recording I took from YouTube, so the drums really sound like a drum machine... One of these days, I'll have to listen to my VVI vinyl on a good turntable again, maybe I'll get a better impression about those drums.
say two sky two say fare
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I agree. Sounds close to drum machine at time. Shame. I would have rather heard a creatures of the night sound on the vvi albums rather than a Def leopard but serious I am nit picking as it's still incredible
Bye Bye