doublev2

ace playing lick it up

Post by doublev2 »

this feels all wrong [youtube][/youtube]
Bye Bye
tukoztukoz

Re: ace playing lick it up

Post by tukoztukoz »

Yes, it's weird. I think Ace is the best on that video...
I don't know why, I've never liked that song played live. Same feeling as for example when the Stones play Jumpin' jack flash live : I love the original recording and the video, but no live version.
say two sky two say fare
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i agree. actually for me its vinnie's worst song. i didn't like it at all with VVI either but its easy to sing a long etc and commercial as hell. I would loved to have heard I still love you or a million to one live with VVI other than Lick it up. Its funny but when you here anyone other than Paul sing that song you realise Paul is the only one who can sing that song, its like the song dramatically goes down hill without him.
I also think Ace is way better on that tour than anyone else even with Kiss saying he was a week link musically but kiss don't realise rock n roll is not a machine its 'character'. that said what the hell happened to Peter? the drums are absolutly with out any soul. the only think Peter had going for him was his 'feel' and he lost that completely by the time he returned to kiss. People say he sucked on Dynasty tour but no way did he suck on that tour, he wasn't boring at all but as soon as he got back in kiss his playing was boring as shit, he played like he was scared of Paul and Gene. Also DW drums suck as much as Tama (not talking vintage ones). Those DW are as generic sounding as they come.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

100% agree with you Dino. Peter's playing is so stiff, it drags the song down. Not that LIU is a great song anyway.

I still don't mind Tama though! ;)
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

That was interesting to me. I've seen Ace play Lick It Up and Heavens On Fire with Kiss several times and this is the only version where he ever filled or solo'd on these songs that I remember. For me this is the best version of LIU with Ace that I've ever seen

K
metatron

Post by metatron »

For me this is the best version of LIU with Ace that I've ever seen

K[/quote]

Yes, with Ace, agreed.

But compared to VV. VV blows it out of the water.
Always wished VV would have reworked LIU to more shred-pyro-warrior version.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

metatron wrote:
But compared to VV. VV blows it out of the water.
Always wished VV would have reworked LIU to more shred-pyro-warrior version.
Yes, YES.....YES!!!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I like the version on the Animalize video.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yes lick it up needed a killer solo. I think it was kind of let's do what we did on rock n roll.all night and have no solo just a good but dumb anthem. I dont think vv added a solo even on vvi tour?

Shram nothing against tama but it's usually chosen as a versatile kit which means shit. I loved the 70s and early 80s tama but just saying it tends to be session generic crap. DW to me is most over rated drums on planet. Peter was going on how good they sounded compared to his pearls..Well to me it's completely the opposite. I know recording techniques and drum micing, heads etc all have a say in change of sound but all Peters character was erased in 90s, I think he tried to be more technical and it just totally back fired. I bet paul scared the hell out of him too. Even technically bad performances in 70s still sounded good to me and I still think peter made rock n roll all night. Most guys would have done the bonham thing on that song and ruined it.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Sorry to be so opionated. Obviously this is just my taste. I do love the tama copeland snare which is a repro of the same pearl Jupiter snare peter criss used in 70s and I love the tama sound bobby rock got in nitro. I also kind of like the DW classics series but too many plys
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Yes DWs are way over priced.

Anything's got to sound better than Nicko McBrain's Premiers on the 1st disc on the new Maiden album.....

Always had a soft spot for Tama because of Clive Burr's NoB Granstar kit that looked awesome and as a DT fan, Mike Portnoy always got a decent sound..... although I have to admit, arguably his best sound was on their 3rd album Awake, which was recorded with.... and you're going to love this Dino, a Mapex US Maple kit.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

DW used to be Camco which I really do like. New Premier's are bad too, actually most new kits are bad in my opinion. Vintage Premier however was incredible. Sorry don't know Mapex at all
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Instrumental from Dream Theater's 1994 Awake album. Try and count along! :P :mrgreen:

[youtube][/youtube]
tukoztukoz

Post by tukoztukoz »

Genebaby wrote:I like the version on the Animalize video.
Yes it's quite good, a bit fast, vocals are close to the studio version. That was 1984, not so long after the album, so the spirit was still there. Even though Bruce plays ok, Vinnie's missing! Gene's wig is awful.

[youtube][/youtube]
say two sky two say fare