Rik Fox - On the Run (Claimed to be the song VVI ripped of)

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
Batman

Rik Fox - On the Run (Claimed to be the song VVI ripped of)

Post by Batman »

Just so I wont change the topic of a previous discussion I started a new thread. Rik Fox famously claimed that VVI ripped of his song "on the run".
See:
http://www.fullinbloommusic.com/rikfox2.html

The demo has been uploaded here:

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/1s ... 02621.html

Personally, I'd say his a little self obsessed making such a claim. Fair enough, the riff might be 95% the same, but song is VERY VERY different.
Batman

Post by Batman »

An earlier version of the song "On The Run" appears on SIN's only official release, a shaped picture disc single of the band's logo containing the songs "On The Run", backed with "Captured in Time" (which was Sin's 'Homage' to ANGEL'S "Feeling Right" of their "Helluva Band" album).
Both songs were recorded summer 1983 at Baby-O studio's Hollywood.
The shaped picture disc single was released by AZRA / Fallen Angel Records, early 1984.

Another version of "On The Run" appears on JAGWIRE's only (vinyl) release "Made In Heaven", which actually is SIN with founder Rik Fox's bass parts removed, and re recorded with the band's new bass player.
"Made In Heaven" was released in 1985 by Target Records (Target 13464), and reissued on CD in 1989, by German label SPV / Steamhammer (SPV-60-7582).

In 1984 Rik Fox 'reformed' SIN with a new line-up (Mach II), and re-recorded "On The Run" with VINNIE VINCENT INVASION bassist Dana Strum producing their 1985 demo.
The result was a demo that turned the heads of all the major labels at the time!
It was believed, that since Strum was (then) bassist for the VINNIE VINCENT INVASION (who, incidentally, ripped off FOX's SIN material for his 2nd album "All Systems Go" while listening to the SIN mix-downs with Strum), and they had a contract with Chrysalis Records, then it would be Strum who would get a piece of the action by getting SIN signed to Chrysalis as well. The results were, they turned out the demo from Hell, and Strum's input saw the SIN sound go deeper towards a hook-oriented version of Judas Priest!
His road-ripper "On The Run" (penned by FOX and a favorite with their following), was a biker song in true biker fashion, telling the story of a biker on his way across country "...If you live for the road and you wanna be free"... This song was ripped off by VINNIE VINCENT and re-named "Let Freedom Rock" with Strum and Vincent conspiring behind it all the
way, only having the lyrics re-written to poorly cover it up.
doublev

Post by doublev »

Rik fox I think won that. Also the intro to ashes to ashes was ripped from a Japanese band.
Batman

Post by Batman »

doublev wrote:Rik fox I think won that. Also the intro to ashes to ashes was ripped from a Japanese band.
That guitarplayer you mean? I wouldnt call it rip off. It was just something played backwards.

But I think Vinnie Vincent was very inspired by Zeppelin. Ashes to ashes being the greatest example? Mark sounding like Plant? yes
Immigrant song anyone?

Also heavy pettin sounded very Lemon Song(ish)
teej

Post by teej »

who´s Lemon? lol
Batman

Post by Batman »

The Lemon Song by Led Zeppelin...but I was wrong! :D
I'm sorry... I meant Misty Mountain Hop :oops:

It's on Led Zeppelin IV....the intro is very similar to the heavy pettin riff.
Kinda cool
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Ok, finally had a listen. Yes, the intro is VERY Let Freedom Rock, including the high pitched sound at the start, otherwise you would never know.

The demo can be found on this site here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YP9FCNJT
Commander in chief - VVF Army