controversial warning

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
doublev2

controversial warning

Post by doublev2 »

Ok i am going to say it.
I think Dana Strum had a huge impact on vvi sound.
Vv has proven he can not produce on his own. In fact he never has. The original gfh 1989 recording was vv producing but according to rf vv was so slow and fiddly it never got finished. Also the polished sound you hear on vvi and slaughter mostly all Dana. Dana also hustled vv and took control. Vv had to re record the ep with Phil kenzie and we all know the production on that is poor

I am going to say very controversial thing

1. Vv needs good producer, can not do it alone.
2. Dana had a lot of influence in a good way over vvi sound.
3. Vv great songwriter player but just can not producer
producer. Gfh/guitarmageddon 4 years recording and still not finished.
4. Dana got slaughter album recorded in a month with good sound if not crappy songs. He proved himself as producer.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Re: controversial warning

Post by Genebaby »

I can see that. Vinnie probably suffers from a perfectionist thing where he can't stop twiddling the knobs and admitting something is "done" and ready for release.

Dana did do good with Slaughter and his involvement in VVI was also the same.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Vv never produced anything on his own that he released.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev2 wrote:Vv never produced anything on his own that he released.
This. :|
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

i think i am just saying the producer is always a big part of the sound and for good or bad dana has to get some credit with the vvi sound. however we don't really know what it would have been like without dana or if the vvi albums would ever have been finished.its clear dana was the key producer according to people who worked on those records. i am not a dana fan but just saying. the production on gfh demos is of course only a demo but the euphoria stuff not so good but actually i guess they really are demo tunes as well in disguise. i really want to hear a clean late 80s version of INVINCIBLE. to me that song is potentially the greatest metal epic track ever.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I have stopped WISHING.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

out of all of vv's tunes invincible to me is his best and i only hear a crappy version. please vv do not add a drum machine to that track.. please!!!
Bye Bye
AnkhWarrior

Post by AnkhWarrior »

I shall agree...you speak the truth, unfortunately.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Just think Dana gets virtually no credit for anything to do with vv but actually I think he had more influence in the vvi sound than people think. Or at least got things moving along.
Bye Bye
dkraven

Post by dkraven »

I agree. I think Dana had a lot to do with many aspects of Invasion. The fact that Vinnie was never able to release another "real" record without him speaks volumes. I think in many ways he was also able to control a lot of Vinnie's self destructive behavior, until he couldn't anymore and realized it would just be better to hitch his trailer to Mark's star and ride that to millions of album sales. Dana is a shrewd business man and a good producer.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Heard a lot of bad things about Dana back then but he was most likely able to keep shit moving along and he certainly has proved he can produce.
I know vvi is all mostly vinnie but just wanted to remind people that Dana obviously had an influence on sound and getting the projects off the ground and finished. Look before kiss vv didn't even really have a large portfolio of his own writing and no production credits. Vinnies twenties were pretty much strictly session musician with not too much demand at that. Yes he kicked ass in early 30s with kiss. After vvi he has had no production at all apart from not very high standard joint production of the euphoria EP. Yes writing and playing on gfh was awesome and most certainly vv could produce but he didn't manage and I guess bringing in phil kenzie to finish the ep says something. not saying vv is bad because of it just pointing it out.
Bye Bye