Yngwie v Vinnie

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
doublev2

Yngwie v Vinnie

Post by doublev2 »

Vinnie wins.
Vinnie has far more depth in his influences.. vinnie tries to make every solo magic and surprising. Yngwie great but I know what I am going to get. With vv he is instinctive and non of us know what he will do next... that is the main reason vinnie was my hero.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Re: Yngwie v Vinnie

Post by shramiac »

Agreed! I LOVE old Yngwie though.

Most frustrating thing is, I've no doubt Vinnie could play all those kinda Yngwie licks at the same time but won't get the kudos.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Solo instrumental record from vv would have been the ultimate for me. Maybe vv likes to work within the frame work of a tune with vocals.
Old yngwie was great . I wish vv put out as many records as him.
Bye Bye
Streetbeat

Post by Streetbeat »

Vinnie, hands down !
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I never got into Malm. Lots of my friends did.
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Vinnie for the win!
Commander in chief - VVF Army
mrblitz

Post by mrblitz »

yngwie is/was a great rock star. his playing though is/was a sort of 'rudimentary classical', whereas vinnie's choice of notes in playing is/was advanced beyond that.

vinnie could have played for king crimson or frank zappa.

i do love yngwie from alcatrazz. this to me is an example of 'peak yngwie':

[youtube][/youtube]

...this entire show.

but melodically/harmonically, vinnie is more advanced.

oh, one other thing about yngwie. buried in the comments from one of the songs from that show, is an exchange regarding how yngwie's runs used to be more complex; kind of sort of like having that 'pulse' that vinnie talked about; whereas today, yngwie 'mails it in' with simpler patterns; still fast, but less complex as before.
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

The shredding is a plus in some ways but what really draws me to Cusano is his songwriting. It's funny how such a killer songwriter could call himself a "guitarist first?" That ultimately to me is what detracted him from being the frontman/singer/guitarist/songwriter in his own band and dealing with the biggest headache of all... hiring and keeping a lead vocalist.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

mrblitz wrote:yngwie is/was a great rock star. his playing though is/was a sort of 'rudimentary classical', whereas vinnie's choice of notes in playing is/was advanced beyond that.

vinnie could have played for king crimson or frank zappa.

i do love yngwie from alcatrazz. this to me is an example of 'peak yngwie':

[youtube][/youtube]

...this entire show.

but melodically/harmonically, vinnie is more advanced.

oh, one other thing about yngwie. buried in the comments from one of the songs from that show, is an exchange regarding how yngwie's runs used to be more complex; kind of sort of like having that 'pulse' that vinnie talked about; whereas today, yngwie 'mails it in' with simpler patterns; still fast, but less complex as before.

EXACTLY, Mr. Blitz !!!!
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

At least Yngwie releases albums.
5minLuvKills

Post by 5minLuvKills »

Portillo wrote:At least Yngwie releases albums.
This is true...and some of them are pretty good still...I personally think Concerto for Electric Guitar may be his best album...it's infinitely better than Metallica's S&M, Kiss' Alive IV and all those others where the orchestra seems to be competing with the band and the whole thing sounds like a loosely formed turd whereas Yngwie actually plays with the orchestra. His first 3 albums are some of his best obviously and every once in while he'll realese a solid one. But let's face it...the songs with singing are boring and most would rather listen to the instrumentals. I'd give Vinnie the slight edge in guitar playing skills but there is no debate when it comes to songwriting. VV RULES! That being said if we we judging just by Yngwie's first 3 albums it would be a lot harder to easily give Vinnie the nod....who knows how many shitty/regurgitated albums Vinnie would have released if he had as many to his name as Yngwie does.
Rock and Roll is my RELIGION and my LAW
reneroxx

Post by reneroxx »

Vinnie win
But Yngwie wins the double because he still is alive.Since Yngwie started until now he have been on feet.I enjoy his albums too.VINNIE could be more a blast if he just could stay on feet and not being a bitch.But ya know No.
:twisted:
This is Rudi.
Only one metal maniac ready to rock my ass off and get my ears bleeding.... ( Okay that was a bit intense)
Nah just stopping by! Here we are!!
A naughty naughty hobo! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Billy

Post by Billy »

Both r great,but would be cool if Vinnie played in Alcatrazz! I know Gary Shea and Jimmy Waldo were in Warrior,and Yingwie tried to join KISS.
Hello Rainbow Eyes.........Im Back! \m/
metatron

Post by metatron »

Vinnie wins cause No one else sounds like Vinnie. I can name 30 others guys that sound like Yngwie. Not that Yngwie isn't great, it just that there is only one VV. Think that why people still talk about him.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
MatthewF

Post by MatthewF »

Honestly I cant stand Yngwie anymore. Nearly every album is the same scales reworked just slightly with maybe some Baroque influence thrown in.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

MatthewF wrote:Honestly I cant stand Yngwie anymore. Nearly every album is the same scales reworked just slightly with maybe some Baroque influence thrown in.
+1
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
PelagicJoe

Post by PelagicJoe »

I always liked Yngwie more.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

PelagicJoe wrote:I always liked Yngwie more.

Go on! Go get outta here!!!! :P :P :P :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

metatron wrote:Not that Yngwie isn't great, it just that there is only one VV. Think that why people still talk about him.
We're the only ones that talk about Vinnie.
metatron

Post by metatron »

Portillo wrote:
metatron wrote:Not that Yngwie isn't great, it just that there is only one VV. Think that why people still talk about him.
We're the only ones that talk about Vinnie.
Ah yer, considering the last time Vinnie did anything was 1996 & as of today there are on this forum alone, a Total of 79289 posts in regards to Vinnie, a Total of 4491 separate topics in regards to Vinnie & 321 members on a forum dedicated to him. That's a pretty good innings for someone who hasn't done anything in 17 years.
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
Portillo

Post by Portillo »

He is lucky to still have a cult following, but the world has long forgotten Vinnie.
metatron

Post by metatron »

shramiac wrote:

Go on! Go get outta here!!!! :P :P :P :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I 2nd that shramiac.
PelagicJoe, do not go pass GO, do not to collect $200 & go straight to JAIL!
heavystef

Post by heavystef »

Yngwie still releases albums! And he had always GREAT singers.
Yngwie thinks, he's going to be the best he can, when he is the boss in his world, and that's RIGHT! Vinnie thinks that too, but, HE'S WRONG!!!! Vinnie needs strong partners to be REALLY good, but, we all know, he cannot handle that...
Hey, just got an idea... let's build Dream Bands with Vinnie on guitar!
And on the 8th day god created rock'n roll!
PelagicJoe

Post by PelagicJoe »

metatron wrote:
shramiac wrote:

I 2nd that shramiac.
PelagicJoe, do not go pass GO, do not to collect $200 & go straight to JAIL!
Hey, don't get me wrong. I like em both, but I find myself listening to Yngwie more than Vinnie. The debut album through Eclipse are all very solid releases.
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

PelagicJoe wrote:
Hey, don't get me wrong. I like em both, but I find myself listening to Yngwie more than Vinnie. The debut album through Eclipse are all very solid releases.

Yes, that is very true. I love all those albums too!
PelagicJoe

Post by PelagicJoe »

I listened to ASG on the way home from work today just because of this thread.
metatron

Post by metatron »

shramiac wrote:
PelagicJoe wrote:

Plus Yngwie does stuff. Vinnie does NOTHING!!!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yngwie can do things and vinnie can not. Vinnie is a prisoner of his own making.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Exactly Dino. Word!
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Post by strangeways »

Vinnie for the win indeed
"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yeah vv wins . I meant vv can not function .. yngwie can function. As for guitar playing.. likw yngwie but no surprises for me. Vv you know was going to make magic and surprise every time. Skill and art for vinnie.. skill and less art for yngwie.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

For me lynch and vinnie are the top of the pile but I never ran out to the store pissing my pants with excitement on morning of release for lynch release but with vv I would for sure skip school and piss those pants and most likely buy the record 3 or 4 copies.
Vinnie had the unexplainable. He is who he is for better or worse but maybe the unpredictable madness of vv had a lot to do with how good he was. Maybe if he was mr nice guy his playing would have sucked.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Maybe Dino, maybe.

Perhaps his dysfunctions are also the source of his musical genius and we can't have one without the other.

If so, it's too bad it all imploded in 88 and he never really got back on track, except for bad things.
Billy

Post by Billy »

Also,I'm going to see Yngwie live at the local House Of Blues on the 23,i'll let you guys know how it was. I love both,but Vinnie inspired me to start playing guitar.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I'm a huge Yngwie Fan and I have seen him perform live a number of times and couple of times in very small venues where you could get very close to him. In the early 90's he brought his wife Amber to the shows who was amazingly easy on the eyes! Yngwie is amazingly talented technique wise and has over the course of his career written some great tunes. He has a huge catalog of albums but though most of them have several memorable songs Yngwie in my opinion hasn't written too many great albums as a whole. For me there is much filler on his recordings. It could be argued that Yngwie has been writing essentially the same album since 1983 LOL. :-) I'm not bagging him as I still buy everything he puts out but I understand that I'm probably only going to love 2 or 3 songs on it and never listen to the others. In summary he is one of the very best guitar players who is capable of writing a great song however not all of his songs are easy on the ears by a long shot. Vinnie's catalog is much smaller but most of his material is excellent from a songwriting and guitar perspective.

Enjoy the show and please post your review of what you saw after you go!
Kev
Raa

Post by Raa »

Both are great guitar composers, Vinnie writes better music, and lyrics. Yngwie to me is like a one man orchestra, amazing player, but is more of a composer than a rock n roll guitarist. Yngwie still rocks though.
"People once believed that when someone dies a Crow carries their Soul to the Land of the Dead. But sometimes something so bad happens a terrible sadness is carried with it, and the Soul can't rest...... then Sometimes........ The Crow......... could bring the Soul BACK to put the wrong things right."
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

metatron wrote:
shramiac wrote:
PelagicJoe wrote:

Plus Yngwie does stuff. Vinnie does NOTHING!!!

but also, people hate yngwie more than vinnie because he's such a shit person. i've heard things about the way he treats fans, band members and alot of other people he knows that make vinnie look like he's never done anything.
AceAlive1

Post by AceAlive1 »

doublev2 wrote:Yngwie can do things and vinnie can not. Vinnie is a prisoner of his own making.

im sure if gene and paul played a little nicer, things would have gone better.
Billy

Post by Billy »

The Yngwie concert was fantastic! Caught some picks from Yngwie,and Ethan Brosh (who opend the show) and some copies of the setlist! \m/ :D
strangeways
Location: United States of America (Greater Chicagoland area)

Post by strangeways »

"Stairway to the stars, I think I'll write good health to you." - Albert Bouchard / Richard Meltzer / Donald Roeser
"Vinnie Vincent saved Kiss. It's just too bad he couldn't save himself." - Me
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Last one was funny. "Vinnie only wrote and played on two songs! Bet my leftie he played rythmn on nearly every song! Plus it was 3 songs Vinnie co-wrote!
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

shramiac wrote:Last one was funny. "Vinnie only wrote and played on two songs! Bet my leftie he played rythmn on nearly every song! Plus it was 3 songs Vinnie co-wrote!
I agree with Shram . I've always shared this idea.
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
holeripper

Post by holeripper »

AceAlive1 wrote: but also, people hate yngwie more than vinnie because he's such a shit person. i've heard things about the way he treats fans, band members and alot of other people he knows that make vinnie look like he's never done anything.
First of all, lol @ Vinnie even being anywhere in the same realm as Yngwie. I like Vinnie's playing but to say he's better or anywhere near as good as Malmsteen in the technical sense is laughable. If you slowed down Vinnie's playing it makes no sense musically. It's just a jumble of notes played really fast with a ton of distortion. Yngwie plays fast, precise, and picks each note cleanly.

Regardless of Yngwie being a diva and an asshole, to my knowledge he's never shamelessly taken money from his fans for a product that he never delivered on, like Vinnie in fact has.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

holeripper wrote:
AceAlive1 wrote: but also, people hate yngwie more than vinnie because he's such a shit person. i've heard things about the way he treats fans, band members and alot of other people he knows that make vinnie look like he's never done anything.
First of all, lol @ Vinnie even being anywhere in the same realm as Yngwie. I like Vinnie's playing but to say he's better or anywhere near as good as Malmsteen in the technical sense is laughable. If you slowed down Vinnie's playing it makes no sense musically. It's just a jumble of notes played really fast with a ton of distortion. Yngwie plays fast, precise, and picks each note cleanly.

Regardless of Yngwie being a diva and an asshole, to my knowledge he's never shamelessly taken money from his fans for a product that he never delivered on, like Vinnie in fact has.
Welcome here Holeripper!

"Holeripper" I love that name! Good points made brother but I will give Vinnie tons of credit for being an amazing songwriter.

Kev
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

"It's just a jumble of notes played really fast with a ton of distortion."

I call crap on this! Watch his video, he can play these so called random notes when he feels like it, exactly the same way every time! Or listen to "You Know I'm Pretty Shot".......no distortion there!

I like both players though and might go see Mr Malmsteen in December as he's doing a Masterclass tour in OZ! :)

And yes, welcome holeripper! :)
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Vv is not affraid to not make sense. Malmsteen hasnt the balls to break the rules. I guess if it was a technical battle possibly Malmsteen would win. Ask the guys from warrior who played with both .. I think they will tell you both were great.
Bye Bye
holeripper

Post by holeripper »

shramiac wrote:"It's just a jumble of notes played really fast with a ton of distortion."

I call crap on this! Watch his video, he can play these so called random notes when he feels like it, exactly the same way every time! Or listen to "You Know I'm Pretty Shot".......no distortion there!
I have seen his instructional video and it's a prime example of what I'm referring to. It's cringe induicng how bad it is. I don't doubt that he knows his stuff but he doesn't applicate it in his playing, atleast when he's shredding. Stuff like "Ya Know Im Pretty Shot" blows my mind, because it's so removed from what we're usd to hearing from Vinnie. Listening to the Treasure album, and some of his more soulful playing proves that he's a diverse player, but I never thought he was a "shredder" in the same league as Paul Gilbert for example.
mrblitz

Post by mrblitz »

i like that instructional video, but understand that probably more than half of the people who hear it don't like it.

as for technical ability, i think there's stuff yngwie did that vinnie couldn't do, and vice versa.

technique-wise, gilbert is in his own class, but a lot of his music doesn't resonate too much with me. my favorite materials from gilbert are things like the bach pieces, and the covers of jazz standards. but gilbert has nearly flawless technique in any event. it's amazing.

i still say there's no one who ever soloed quite like vinnie.

malmsteen though; he did some really beautiful solos. like; really just phreaking 'spot on'; full of all kinds of nuance.

maybe it's all apples and oranges anyway.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

For me speedball jamm is not what I love about vv. I love the speed stuff but it has to weave in and out of melody. When I was 13 in 1988 my top 4 were. I know roberts is not in same league but he had a great style.

1. Vv
2 marty friedman
3. George lynch
4. Kane roberts

Gilbert I love but also found a touch uninspiring.
Vinnie Moore played the best live solo I ever heard on alice cooper tour.
Bye Bye
birnie

Post by birnie »

When Gilbert turns it on, it's really jaw dropping stuff (Snakebite on Technical Difficulties !!!)
...but sometimes can be a bit of a yawn.
I can't stand his solo albums, I don't mind trying to sing every now and then like Satch did with Blue dream, but comon man, stick to guitar please?
The instumental solos on those albums were top notch of course.