Vinnie quotes

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
poserboy71

Vinnie quotes

Post by poserboy71 »

“My chemistry with the band helped put them back on top and gave them a musical credibility that they’d never had before, yet I couldn’t get the recognition I needed. I felt like I was imprisoned in a small cubicle, like it was someone else's house”…”
— Vinnie Vincent
THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Re: Vinnie quotes

Post by doublev2 »

Well it was someone elses house.all those writer guitar plsyers with whitesnake.. dlr.. alice cooper all had the same thing.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Kane roberts and kip winger were making a lot less than vv while with alice .
Bye Bye
metatron

Post by metatron »

doublev2 wrote:Well it was someone elses house.all those writer guitar plsyers with whitesnake.. dlr.. alice cooper all had the same thing.
Yep!
Most people stay at their jobs (especially nowadays) even if it isn't totally awesome cause they need to pay their bills. And they know that if they bail, the next job will be filled with the same political, same bullshit.
And then if you work for yourself...a whole lot of other problems & responsibilities.

Work for KISS, $2000 a week. Work for yourself, VVI, maybe weeks of nothing . Reality.

............ Think Vinnie liked to live by his Italian proverb
.... E 'meglio vivere un giorno da leone che cento anni da pecora
It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

He nailed it on the head. It was someone elses house and he was the decorator.
How could he expect anymore?
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Also after the poor performance in sales of creatues tour and album how could they put vv up in a grand hotel for months. Usually the record label pays for these things anyway and not kiss.
Obviously if kiss were desperate to keep vv they would have dug deep.
To be honest he could have supplemented out of his pay check.
My understanding he stayed at the chelsea where andy warhol lived but I could have that wrong. Very close to where tge dressed to kill cover was photographed. It was prostitute area back then.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I used to live on 21st and 8th ave in that area and also lived very near to electric lady for a short while
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Vv could have almost commuted from bridgeport whole recording lick it up.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev2 wrote: My understanding he stayed at the Chelsea where Andy Warhol lived but I could have that wrong.
Here's another funny name drop. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: My friend Bill,whom I worked with in the Local Stagehands Union, claims to have been the recipient of a blow job from Andy Warhol.

NEWBEGINNINGS
metatron

Post by metatron »

poserboy71 wrote: My friend Bill,whom I worked with in the Local Stagehands Union, claims to have been the recipient of a blow job from Andy Warhol.
Vinnie Vincent wrote: finocchio eh?
:D
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

God I hope not.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

My friend Bill, NOT ME !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NEWBEGINNINGS
metatron

Post by metatron »

poserboy71 wrote:My friend Bill, NOT ME !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vinnie Vincent wrote: Bill's a finocchio eh?
LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

poserboy71 wrote:My friend Bill, NOT ME !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah but I know what you did with the can of Campbell's soup!!!! :twisted: :lol:
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Who wouldn't ? :oops: :D

NEWBEGINNINGS
5minLuvKills

Post by 5minLuvKills »

May VV shoulda been happy but he makes a good point...the way Gene and Paul treat other "band" members is dysfunctional to say the least. VV was the only one besides Ace and Peter to call them on their bullshit
Rock and Roll is my RELIGION and my LAW
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

What bullshit?
Bye Bye
5minLuvKills

Post by 5minLuvKills »

I'm not saying Kiss is the only band to do it but the way they treat other band members that come in is bullshit to me...Take Metallica for example say what you want about them but when Robert Trujillo came in as seen in Some Kind of Monster he was an EQUAL member...hell even when Jason Newsted came in he was an equal member... not employees of the band. True they hazed Jason and were kind of unfair to him but not to the point of what Kiss does with having band members sign contracts :roll: ...that's just ridiculous

If you are creating music together as a "band" it's not a good thing to have the mentality that there are bosses and employees in the practice room
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

5minLuvKills wrote:I'm not saying Kiss is the only band to do it but the way they treat other band members that come in is bullshit to me...Take Metallica for example say what you want about them but when Robert Trujillo came in as seen in Some Kind of Monster he was an EQUAL member...hell even when Jason Newsted came in he was an equal member... not employees of the band. True they hazed Jason and were kind of unfair to him but not to the point of what Kiss does with having band members sign contracts :roll: ...that's just ridiculous

If you are creating music together as a "band" it's not a good thing to have the mentality that there are bosses and employees in the practice room
Agreed

NEWBEGINNINGS
mrblitz

Post by mrblitz »

just think about that right there... gene and paul bossing vinnie around... really?

in a magazine interview gene once said something to the effect where a new band member needed 'star quality'. apparently vinnie was too big a star, though.

so yeah, you needed 'star quality' to join kiss, but couldn't upstage gene and paul.

vinnie was a musical genius. maybe gene and paul should have better attempted to work with that, instead of oppressing it.

on the other hand, maybe vinnie's capabilities simply outstripped anything gene and paul were capable of.

a player like vinnie might have been a much better fit for a band like king crimson or somesuch. vinnie's guitar soloing is so much more advanced than that of so very many other players. maybe vinnie's playing was too complex to have ever been a huge commercial success.

i really don't know... but am just throwing a lot of 'stream-of-consciousness' out there...
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I don't think it was JUST Vinnie's chemistry that put them back on the map. They took off the makeup and got a TON of press out of that.
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

All I will say vv would be and is a million times worse.
You can not consider vv a functional person. He is not mentally healthy and I dont think has been for a long time.
If you hear what he says in inner circles and what actions he takes he is so far from healthy.
Voilence.. threats.. drink...virtual sex.... lies who he is and booting of fans or viryual girlfriends on whims.
You can not put vv in the class of a normal person and he is not functional at all which is why his music never comes out . Dont believe me well ask around.
We need to be pittying vinnie but not blaming kiss.
The mistake people make is thinking vv is like you and me .. real people. Hes not.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

He is very dangerous bevause everything he does he justifies as right. Including steeling... wife beating etc.
Bye Bye
5minLuvKills

Post by 5minLuvKills »

doublev2 wrote:All I will say vv would be and is a million times worse.
You can not consider vv a functional person. He is not mentally healthy and I dont think has been for a long time.
If you hear what he says in inner circles and what actions he takes he is so far from healthy.
Voilence.. threats.. drink...virtual sex.... lies who he is and booting of fans or viryual girlfriends on whims.
You can not put vv in the class of a normal person and he is not functional at all which is why his music never comes out . Dont believe me well ask around.
The mistake people make is thinking vv is like you and me .. real people. Hes not.

Don't get me wrong I know VV is pretty demented...even before the events of last year...since joining yesterday I checked out those podcasts (thanks Decibel Geek :wink: ) and was surprised to find out more disappointing stuff...the other message board fiasco in particular...sad stuff...I really hope Vinnie gets his shit together.

But to me Gene(and to a lesser extent Paul) is on a different level....it's like Vinnie is a fuck up and doomed to always sabotage himself through his madness. Gene's ruthlessness is cold and calculated. Take the song We Are One from Psycho Circus...what a load of self-serving bullshit especially when you take into account what the state of Kiss was at the time of recording that album. Is Gene trying to convince us or himself? Unfortunately I believe it's the former whole-heartedly...Kiss and you are one believe the lie and buy more overpriced shit...it's just ugly to me. And yet part of me is still interested in Kiss. Funny and sad at the same time
metatron

Post by metatron »

doublev2 wrote:All I will say vv would be and is a million times worse.
This is the Sad truth.
There have been people who have come to this forum, totally 100% defending Vinnie Vincent.
Then have got close enough stares into the abyss that is Vinnie Vincent. That abyss stared back at them.
They didn't like what they saw.
Like DoubleV said, Do enough Homework on him & you will witness first hand his vile disgrace, his tragic fall from grace.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

You know its true but its normal for humans to give each over a chance for change. But get to know him and you will find him to be even worse than you imagine. I coudnt listen to his music for a year and still have a hard time.
He has no concept of cause and effect.
Bye Bye
Sandimas

Post by Sandimas »

Yet we would ALL turn out to buy new material or see him live. I don't think he realises that!
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

Sandimas wrote:Yet we would ALL turn out to buy new material or see him live. I don't think he realises that!
Yes - Too True!
metatron

Post by metatron »

Slayer wrote:
Sandimas wrote:Yet we would ALL turn out to buy new material or see him live. I don't think he realises that!
Yes - Too True!
Yes, but only if the 'purchases' were via a 3rd party. Like a promotor and you could buy the tickets, products via Paypal using your Visa.
The difference between Vinnie Vincent and Gene Simmons is this. Vinnie is/was a real musician and not a business man. Gene is a business and not a musician.
Genes about pushing product out the door and converting it to cool hard cash.
Gene does this via following trends and exploiting the nostalgic aspect of KISS.
Like Steve Spielburg and George Luscas (think Stars Wars and those horrible prequels)
VV can't really do that. Doesn't have a massive successfully history like KISS or Star Wars.
VV needed to go down the track that Yngwie or Steve Stevens did. A little to late now.
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

erg2 wrote:I don't think it was JUST Vinnie's chemistry that put them back on the map. They took off the makeup and got a TON of press out of that.
No, it was his playing, his ability to set the tone and his excellent songwriting.

Some people who like to diminish his accomplishments will always say, but they took the makeup off and that's what did it.

NO!

If KISS took the makeup off and the music wasn't there to back it up-they would have been slaughtered (no pun intended). If the music hadn't delivered they would have been the mighty emperors with no clothes.

The thing is--they took the makeup off and people were saying it was the best KISS ever or the best one in years.

Had they taken the makeup off before Vinnie arrived (time of Killers) and that was the type of music they were putting out with MJJ-- songs like Nowhere To Run etc...I doubt they would have had much of a comeback at all.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Brainsaw, I love your enthusiasm and agree with most of your comments.

How about introducing yourself ? :D

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

We all like that era of kiss . By the way killers was kick ass too. Nowhere to run is great.
Vv did great and the single lick it up really helped even if its my least favourite song on album.. maybe from over play.
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Yeah, I love the four new songs on Killers, and the production, they were great tunes. It annoys me when Kiss dismiss what they did there, transitioning from The Elder, to their true sound.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Yes Vinnie helped them return with a "hunger" but I still think if Kiss would've taken off the makeup in 1981 with an album full of the stuff they were recording before the Elder (Deadly Weapons, Difference Between Men and Boys, Heaven, etc.) or the four songs off Killer, then they would've had a resurgence in popularity then. As kickass as LIU is, removing the makeup was the main factor. It got people talking again. Afterall, that's why they pulled that stunt, it was their last chance. If it was down to just the music and had nothing to do with removing the greasepaint, then Creatures would've been huge in '82... cause that album fukn rocks.
5minLuvKills

Post by 5minLuvKills »

To add on to this, one thing that's always irked me is Paul insistance that Creatures was the better album compared to LIU. I'm not saying Creatures is a weak album but to me LIU is slightly better. The only bad/imperfect song on that album to me is Dance All Over Your Face but on Creatures there were 2 lesser songs (Saint and Sinner, Rock and Roll Hell)

Don't get me wrong Creatures is a very strong Kiss album and has one of their best songs (I Still Love You) but LIU is the better album in my opinion
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I'm with you, LIU has the edge over Creatures, both kick ass of course.

I think Paul does that to diminish LIU as Vinnie was all over it, playing and writing.

And yes, Creatures still tanked though it was an excellent record.

The stench of The Elder's failure was still on them with the makeup on. Removing it was a big help towards acceptance in the 80's.

Putting out the album of hard rock would have helped them immensely, possibly negating the need to resort to removing the makeup.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Genebaby wrote:
I think Paul does that to diminish LIU as Vinnie was all over it, playing and writing.
Vinnie was all over COTN (songwriting and playing ) but wasn't given his proper due.

NEWBEGINNINGS
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

poserboy71 wrote:Vinnie was all over COTN (songwriting and playing ) but wasn't given his proper due.

Yes, but LIU was basically a Vinnie Vincent solo album... 8)
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

EXACTLY. I think COTN was close to that as well.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I like them both but creatures to me is slightly stronger in some placed and liu in others.
Rick come on. Cotn wasnt a vv solo. He only wrote 3 songs . I agree he madevit better though.
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Yes, Creatures was a session musician's solo album... Vinnie did help it in a small percentage though.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev2 wrote:I like them both but creatures to me is slightly stronger in some placed and liu in others.
Rick come on. Cotn wasnt a vv solo. He only wrote 3 songs . I agree he madevit better though.
What I am saying is that Vinnie's signature rhythm guitar playing is all over COTN. Yes , He is only CREDITED with three co-writes but I strongly believe that he had a bigger hand in a lot of the songwriting/arranging. :D :D :D :D

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Yrah especislly on genes tunes.
Bye Bye
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

poserboy71 wrote:
doublev2 wrote:I like them both but creatures to me is slightly stronger in some placed and liu in others.
What I am saying is that Vinnie's signature rhythm guitar playing is all over COTN. Yes , He is only CREDITED with three co-writes but I strongly believe that he had a bigger hand in a lot of the songwriting/arranging. :D :D :D :D

You posted that better than I did before..

The way I look at it.... COTN would have sounded like KILLERS. The only difference between Killers songs and COTN was the addition of Vinnie. How he affected/changed the sound and everything else is evident on the disc.

I'm sure G&P always praise COTN over LIU is because Vinnie had 8 songwriting credits compared to 3 on COTN.

And the exact things you said to COTN, you could also apply to Revenge. It's probably why they also only put out 3 of the songs he wrote and not anymore. They certainly could have dropped tracks like "Tough Love", "Spit" etc but then they would have really been hit with "so it took Vinnie to save your asses again".
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

sorry wrong. Lots more guitarists on COTN than Killers, not just Vinnie. Who did the solo on Cratures of the night? who did the solo on I still love you? Danger?

I believe VV was on all or most of Gene's tunes and maybe only Keep me comin on Paul's stuff unless he did some rhythm work. Sorry to say that Robben Ford and the guy from Mister Mister are great players as well.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Revenge was similar to Cratures. Sold badly and had a very bad tour. I love Vinnie's work in Kiss but Creatures and Revenge did not save kiss. You could argue Lick it up did.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I will say something I truly believe which will not be popular.

Killers - Amazing warm tone. 2 or 3 great tunes.

COTN - Amazing production (but for me no better than Killers just different).

LIU - Best album of the 3 but worst production/engineering.

I think LIU is actually messy and the drum sound is 'shit' compared to COTN and Killers. Sounds almost like Simmons drums. I think LIU actually had more potential. Songs were great. To be honest bringing Vinnie in as a producer would have taken that album over the edge in my opinion but I always am dissapointed in the recording to be honest.
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev2 wrote:sorry wrong. Lots more guitarists on COTN than Killers, not just Vinnie. Who did the solo on Cratures of the night? who did the solo on I still love you? Danger?

I believe VV was on all or most of Gene's tunes and maybe only Keep me comin on Paul's stuff unless he did some rhythm work. Sorry to say that Robben Ford and the guy from Mister Mister are great players as well.
Like I said... :D

NEWBEGINNINGS
5minLuvKills

Post by 5minLuvKills »

Why is Killers in the conversation? It's a glorified EP...or should I say a Kissified EP...pay for 4 songs at import prices...true the 4 songs are great but to me Killers is a prime example of what is wrong with Kiss. Take something people want and add something people already have so you can justify charging more money for it. I know I'm gonna get a Vinnie comparrison from someone and it may be justified/comparable but this has always been Kiss' M.O. And they have the product to pad it Vinnie doesn't really

EDIT: And yes I know Kiss isn't the only one who does this, but name me a band who does it more than Kiss besides maybe The Rolling Stones
metatron

Post by metatron »

100% right 5minLuvKills