that time of year inspired?

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

does anyone think this is too close to That time of year for comfort?
[youtube][/youtube]
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Re: that time of year inspired?

Post by PinkWiz »

The opening chords are exact.
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

Wow, Im sure Rik Fox is shaking his head ( again ) thinking Dana & Vinnie are f**kers !!! lol
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

most likely just chance but a weird one
Bye Bye
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Yeah I can't see Vinnie listening to Anthrax. Dana maybe but not Vinnie.
jesternjeff

Post by jesternjeff »

Im sure it was Dana and Vinnie just agreeing w/ him on using it ! lol Someone should mention this to Scott Ian ! lol
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Wow, I've never listened to early Anthrax, so I've never heard this before. It does sound a lot like TTOY, which I wouldn't have picked for an Anthrax song.
Commander in chief - VVF Army
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

how easy is it to speak to Scott? the only reason i was suspicious is becuause of the let freedom rock thing. Yes it would have been Dana who presented it to vinnie i would guess. I believe Dana did know them.

makes me want to listen to all ASG again. You know I'm pretty shot certainly borrows from many tunes as well but i think thats the point of that song.

then some guys in vv's home town started some rumours that he ripped off tunes that he used in warrior as well as taking a whole bunch of demos inc. michael bolton stuff from a recording studio.

suspicious but maybe this is just one of those things.
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Damn that's close.
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

I am friends on fb with Scott Ian so I may ask him. It seems like vv certainly must have heard it and developed it but not enough to be a rip off .
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

its not just the cords but whats going on in the back ground.. also 31 seconds into the anthrax.. the same kind of ooohh like Mark Slaughter.

Obviously That time of year is far better but i just am saying its a little uncomfortable. I
Bye Bye

Post by 1031 »

it very well may be the key progression just flows that way , so you play in Bb so you end up with a similar progression as a lot of songs Bb. looks like both songs are worked out of Bb. Or they ripped it off ..lol
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

key progression is most likely but i find whats going on elsewhere in the intro a little close.. but yeah most likely nothing.. but when you know Let Freedom Rock was ripped off clean, the opening of Ashes to Ashes was taken with out credit and a lot of you know i'm pretty shot was uncredited to the original artists and then hearing a few things from back before VV joined kiss you start to wonder.
Bye Bye

Post by 1031 »

Ya with all those songs being ripped off kinda makes you wonder about V's real ability write music.
Guitars good, drugs booze.. bad

The worlds best qoute ever
"take your Massengill-soaked vibrator from your wretched gutter clam"
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

if you think about it he has lots of time with the kiss tunes and the first VVI album.. lots of stacked up tunes from his 20s etc.. ASG was a brand new record that they didn't have a huge amount of time to write.
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I bet Vinnie was exposed to lots of "hey, give my band a listen" cassette tapes back in the day. Rumor is that is how Jon Bon Jovi and Richie "wrote" most of NEW JERSEY. but if you piece together stories from all the different people that made music with Vinnie, he jammed with different guys and developed lots of songs...and then he snuck over to Gene's house and all of those collaborations became KISS songs and later, VVI songs.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
KissMyAss

Post by KissMyAss »

I heard people were approaching him all the time in Treasure, saying, "pssst, here is our tape." :lol: :lol: :lol:
Live life as though it is the third law; "to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Rules apply whether we are cognizant of them or oblivious.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

He was listening to demos that were coming through the studio he was recording the warrior demos just before he moved to los angels.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

The studio owner / dealer accused him of taking a box of demos and warrior band members said he stole the warrior tapes from the studio.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Vinnie has lots of reel to reel tapes in his house including live kiss shoes. They will never see light of day unless maybe his wife gets them in any settlement.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Actually its not his house where he lives at least technically.
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Just listening to the Warrior demos, the Vinnie early demos, the LIU album and the first VVI album...it's clear that he didn't have an avalanche of original material. He was constantly re-working the same songs...updating them or combining them or using pieces. Then you hear the stories where people allude that they collaborated on the earliest original material which spawned everything down the line.

Then when it came time for ASG to be recorded. Suddenly lots of stories of him stealing material. So...had he finally used up all of that material from early collaborations and couldn't come up with anything on his own?
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

That said hr got gfh together pretty well but he wouldnt have had so much time with asg. I do feel that parts of the extended ashes to ashes solo appears in invincible and I also think love kills was derived from one of those goran or jss demos that I forget the name.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

on this again

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

damn i don't know. Some of the atmos playing in the back ground is a little close. and also in the anthrax tune he mentions something about 'year'. ????
Last edited by doublev2 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

also listen to the first vocals on both tunes. Weird.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

vinnie's is much better of course.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

brainsaw can you help me with this one?
Bye Bye
5minLuvKills

Post by 5minLuvKills »

Holy Shit I have been listening to both of these songs for years and years and never made the connection. The beginnings are very similar. Then again a lot of songs start on a D minor chord or some variation (pretty sure that's what it is) This one for example...

[youtube][/youtube]

I know it's not arpeggios/legato/whatever like the other two but there are similarities...
Rock and Roll is my RELIGION and my LAW
KissMyAss

Post by KissMyAss »

I hear a similarity in intros.
Live life as though it is the third law; "to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Rules apply whether we are cognizant of them or oblivious.
KissMyAss

Post by KissMyAss »

I must say, Anthrax is better. Sorry...it just rocks more
amedeimarco

Post by amedeimarco »

[youtube][/youtube]
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Good one AM. Definitely some similarities there.

Glenn Hughes' voice is fantastic in that song. Haven't listened to that Norum album in ages.....will have to dig it out! :)
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Link please as I don't see the post from Marco.
Bobby Rock was freaked out about the anthrax thing. Also they both have bells in them from memory
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

John Norum's ''In your Eyes'' is the song Marco linked to.
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

ok. got it. yes same too. i guess a natural cord progression but weird. John Norum singing that song not Glen Hughes. I saw John Norum live twice on this tour with Goran singing half the songs and John singing half. The guys from Europe didn't believe John was singing as they said he could never sing like that while in Europe. I am not a fan of Norum's solos for some reason.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Norum said in one guitar magazine that his back on the streets solo was way better than vinnie's , pissed me off at the time, but of course rock magaozines made bad quotes all the time so have to take with a pinch of salt.
Bye Bye
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

doublev2 wrote:ok. got it. yes same too. i guess a natural cord progression but weird. John Norum singing that song not Glen Hughes. I saw John Norum live twice on this tour with Goran singing half the songs and John singing half. The guys from Europe didn't believe John was singing as they said he could never sing like that while in Europe. I am not a fan of Norum's solos for some reason.

No, it was Glenn Hughes singing. He sang most of the Face the Truth album. Which is a bitchin album btw! Great tones and rhythm playing ...... some nice leads too! :D
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Says total control on link which is why I am confused I guess.
Bye Bye