From Gruno at KissFAQ

General Vinnie Vincent Discussion
poserboy71

From Gruno at KissFAQ

Post by poserboy71 »

From Gruno at KissFAQ. He has been really cool to me through PM's , so I don't think he'll mind if I shared this here. Great story and pictures:

Vinnie Vincent Invasion - Carvin Guitar Shop - Jan. 1988
Here is my 10th thread of photos recently retrieved from my personal 35mm negative & photo archive.

I almost forgot about these negatives until someone jarred my memory! Still, I am a bit fuzzy on if this was in fact January of 1988. I am confident that it is. The event was the grand opening for the Carvin Guitar Shop in Hollywood. The store is located across the street from Guitar Center. Besides, VVI, there were other musicians present: Steve Vai; Dweezil Zappa; Craig Chaquico (Starship); Gene Allen (Lizzy Borden); Vicki Peterson (Bangles)... and many more. I have tried to determine the exact date and I am sure it can be available by finding out directly via Carvin as to when their Hollywood store opened.

The majority of the festivities took place out back -- behind the store. The place was packed with so many fans of all musicians. Steve Vai was the big name of the day and when he arrived, the place became a menagerie of rockers scurrying to get autographs and photos with their favorites! Carvin tried to get all the musicians behind a table to sign autographs but the place was in pure pandemonium that they soon ditched that idea and the band members all came into the crowd and scattered throughout.

Vinnie and the rest of the band were in good spirits. They posed for photos and never stopped signing things. Mark was a gem as he revealed details of the "All Systems Go" album they had finished. Dana was his usual PR self -- I loved it! Bobby Rock was the only member I had not met previously, and he was so cool and accommodating. Vinnie did interviews and signed autographs on KISS and VVI items.

The one item I really wanted signed was my VVI poster. I kept it rolled until I got Bobby's attention by unfurling the side he was on. He could only see this huge image of himself and he had a store employee get me closer to them. I ended up being allowed behind the table and they all signed the poster better than I had hoped for. Bobby said, "I am going to put our band motto on here!" he wrote "Stay Hard!" -- yeah, go figure -- it is VVI!! I have kept this poster in near mint condition since 1988!

I didn't just stay around for VVI. We got photos with everyone there and autographs, autographs, autographs! Toward the end of the event, I was able to get VVI together for the only group pic of the day. I was determined to grab this photo op and I asked Bobby to help. He and Mark grabbed Dana and Vinnie (who was being interviewed) and we posed for the pic. At the last second my friend jumped into the pic (he asked me not to post his image so I have edited that out of the actual pic below).

All in all, a fantastic day! This was also, sadly, the last time I would get an autograph from Vinnie -- although I did buy his "Euphoria" EP that came autographed. When I saw him next, August 16, 1988 -- that was their last show and Vinnie was stone-faced walking into the Celebrity Theatre (Anaheim) from the tour bus. He never acknowledged any fans and never spoke a word. Mark, Dana and Bobby all stayed outside the backstage door (before and after the show) and we exchanged contact info. I became very good friends with Mark and Dana on that night and I am still friends with them to this day.

Ok, so now let the Vinnie fans go crazy with these never-before-seen pics. Let's hope Vinnie appears for a signing one day!

THINK: Porter Wagoner

:wink: I am the Undisputed Sex Symbol of the VVFF
NEWBEGINNINGS
vvjunkie

Re: From Gruno at KissFAQ

Post by vvjunkie »

Cool thanks for sharing
If you see me fallen and endless fall
If you hear me calling a never ending call
If you see me bleeding I'm losing control
If you see me dying I'm dying alone.
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Great article and pics.
Open your window and see the real world
To know what you've been missing
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
In a heart afraid to listen
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Gold!!!
Commander in chief - VVF Army
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

Another Poster (BlackDiamond77) at KissFAQ supplied this picture from the same event:

NEWBEGINNINGS
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

Killer pics... I used to have that poster of them in full VVI regalia in front of the silver circled wall!
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

I think I bought that poster last year from Ebay. Will be putting it up soon.
Brooklyn_Born

Post by Brooklyn_Born »

Great post & pics!! Thanks!!
Hey man, I am cool, I am the Breeze...

VVFF Rocks Hard!!!
This is not a Hate Forum Vinnie...Capisce!!?
Brooklyn has almost left the Building
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Niiiiiiicccccccce!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
Vdog

Post by Vdog »

Cool story. Cheers for posting.
n3p

Post by n3p »

Thanks for sharing with us, Poserboy 8)
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
reneroxx

Post by reneroxx »

finish dead nothing better for my birthday find new stuff of the invasion :mrgreen:
This is Rudi.
Only one metal maniac ready to rock my ass off and get my ears bleeding.... ( Okay that was a bit intense)
Nah just stopping by! Here we are!!
A naughty naughty hobo! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
reneroxx

Post by reneroxx »

mark looks young love the blonde so cool vinnie looks great too
This is Rudi.
Only one metal maniac ready to rock my ass off and get my ears bleeding.... ( Okay that was a bit intense)
Nah just stopping by! Here we are!!
A naughty naughty hobo! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

didn't realize ricky schroder was a VVI fan..
:lol:

poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

I think Rick was 45 years old in 1988.

NEWBEGINNINGS
metatron

Post by metatron »

PinkWiz wrote:didn't realize ricky schroder was a VVI fan..
:lol:

Yes, many are not aware of the 'secret connection' between Ricky Schroder & the KISS family of Rock n' Rock. But Ricky Schroder was meant to in a theatrical release called 'Silver Spoons, the Rebal Years' (many compared it to a cross between Sliver Spoons the TV series & the movie 'Less that Zero') in which KISS wrote the title track for the movie, 'Silver Spoon'. Rumors at the time circulated that 'Hide your Heart' was going to be the motion movie sound track. [youtube][/youtube]
Sadly this project never saw the light of day.
Much like what should have happen to most of 'Hot in the Shade'
:D
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass and I'm all out of bubble gum.
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

great pictures
although I did buy his "Euphoria" EP that came autographed. When I saw him next, August 16, 1988 -- that was their last show and Vinnie was stone-faced walking into the Celebrity Theatre (Anaheim) from the tour bus. He never acknowledged any fans and never spoke a word. Mark, Dana and Bobby all stayed outside the backstage door (before and after the show) and we exchanged contact info. I became very good friends with Mark and Dana on that night and I am still friends with them to this day.
This was the last gig Vinnie ever played and most like the last one he will ever play. August 16 1988. Unless the miming at the kiss expos is a gig, which i don't think it is.

Did he say what Mark and Dana said about the break up?
Bye Bye
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

4 songs plus speedball jamm and no gigs since august 16 1988 (none of the songs recorded to the high quality standard of VVI either). All this from a guy who said he saved kiss. he can't save himself but he did save kiss. hehe
Bye Bye
Brooklyn_Born

Post by Brooklyn_Born »

To be Honest Vinnie got lucky with kiss, it was a case of good timing and we at the right place at the right time. If he had not met Gene back in '82 about songwriting collaboration we probably wouldn't even no his name. Gene believed in Vinnie when Paul didn't... And in the end Paul was right about Vinnie, he was a mistake. He wrote two great albums with kiss but his ego ultimately destroyed what could have continued to be some incredible collaborations for animalize or beyond. Vinnie has robbed both himself and his fans of his creative talent and it's very apparent that he will never release new music. He has no drive or direction to do so... He is content spending hours on the net trawling through our posts and chasing skirt...

Am I wrong Vinnie? Prove otherwise mate..we are waiting to hear from you :idea:
Hey man, I am cool, I am the Breeze...

VVFF Rocks Hard!!!
This is not a Hate Forum Vinnie...Capisce!!?
Brooklyn has almost left the Building
birnie

Post by birnie »

I really like Animalize, and a version with Vinnie, if it had come to be!!!!?????
Just the thought of it blows me away!
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

if i think back to '82 kiss didn't have a lot of options. A lot of the guitar players that were good back then were either way too young, not good songwriters or didn't look like rock stars. Vinnie was close in age, an unknown, somewhat looked like a member of kiss and could write and play. I really can not think of anyone who would have really fitted the bill. Eddie would have been good but no way would he just join someone elses band. As the 80s progressed more options opened up but for 82 it was tougher that maybe it seems.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

these pictures will be from jan '88 around the same time as this picture
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

doublev2 wrote:if i think back to '82 kiss didn't have a lot of options. A lot of the guitar players that were good back then were either way too young, not good songwriters or didn't look like rock stars. Vinnie was close in age, an unknown, somewhat looked like a member of kiss and could write and play. I really can not think of anyone who would have really fitted the bill. Eddie would have been good but no way would he just join someone elses band. As the 80s progressed more options opened up but for 82 it was tougher that maybe it seems.
Interesting point. Hadn't thought of that. If they'd taken a year off and truly did an open audition and time to develop as a group through rehearsing and writing, the entire future could've been different. Instead they treated it like a normal business decision. Open position = hire headhunter to find qualified replacement.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
shramiac

Post by shramiac »

Eddie's goofy smile would have given him away in a heartbeat as well!!!
Promises made, crying in vain, all empty. Never accepting the blame and not letting go of the shame. A river of tears, as months turn to years, all wasted. On someone not willing to change.Now only a shadow remains! :(
metatron

Post by metatron »

doublev2 wrote:these pictures will be from jan '88 around the same time as this picture
Is that one of Vinnie's Finger Bang Photos?
I got Jesus in my fax machine. I saw Ho Chi Minh down @ Burger King. I dated Vinnie Vincent as a Drag Queen. I still don't understand a f**kin' thing.
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I could back-up right onto that!
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

That dot neck Jackson may very well be one of the the original VVV's with a replaced fingerboard.

NEWBEGINNINGS
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Years ago their was a picture of that dot inlay neck one with out the gaffer tape in pink around on the internet. I believe its the first ever made. Rick.any chance of asking Grover?
Bye Bye
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

Kiss could not take a year off in 82, they were in bad financial straits. The 80's was a time to record and then tour to make some money. So the Creatures tour and album had to happen and they needed a gun on guitar. That gun was Vinnie but some left the safety off!
metatron

Post by metatron »

I like it when the safety is left off. It shows commitment. There is no turning back. That's why LIU & COTN were great albums. KISS had direction again. Sadly for VV, showing commitment has turned into 'he should be committed', like, to a mental ward.
It says 'Anal' :lol: :lol: :lol:
vvjunkie

Post by vvjunkie »

WTF IT SAYS ANAL...OH WOW
ankh

Post by ankh »

if my memory serves me well- and if the rumours were true- Kiss offered the spot to Punky meawdows, but he turned them down.Bruce did audtion for them,as Robbin Crosby, marq torien and Ritchie sambora, among others.
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

wow, robbin crosby? I can't see gene allowing somebody four or five inches taller than him in the band. I always thought that maybe that's why bruce wasn't offered the job after ace quit, because he's like an inch or two taller than gene. it's possible?
metatron

Post by metatron »

vvjunkie wrote:WTF IT SAYS ANAL...OH WOW
Strap on, anyone? :lol:
vvjunkie

Post by vvjunkie »

I got mine......hehe

I'm being so naughty
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Punky Brewster?
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

I'm just saying the right thing to do would've been to take the time and rebuild the band properly. They were greedy...or needy...or just felt in dire straights so they took the easy way.

Now, if they HAD done the right thing, we most likely would've never known about Vinnie...never had the LIU album...never had the 2 VVI albums...so I guess Gene & Paul's anxiousness and greed paid off for us here at the VVFF.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
ankh

Post by ankh »

if you read the ck lendt's book,it explains quite well the kiss debacle from 1980 to 1983
“Men are apt to be much more influenced by words than by the actual facts of the surrounding reality.” I.Pavlov

MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mesolimbicn ... sults_main

Lemmy: "Can you hear this horrible sound coming out of my monitors?"
Monitor guy: "No."
Lemmy: "Neither can I.Turn me up!"
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Just read one when he said he got hired by kiss the day they finished recording keep me comin. He was at the airport. This would mean he was hired way before the album came out. And the in the bath phone call was not real. I don't believe it.
I can not post it just yet as I am out in town but will later tonight.
Bye Bye
doublev2

Post by doublev2 »

Gonna check the story out with my kiss connections.
Bye Bye
erg2

Post by erg2 »

ankh wrote:if you read the ck lendt's book,it explains quite well the kiss debacle from 1980 to 1983
I have that one, but haven't read it since it came out in the 90s. Yeah, it was a real mess...and once again, all I'm saying is that they should've taken a step back, re-grouped, re-focused, clean house and "start from scratch" with a re-built band. That would've been the reasonable thing to do. Being in a rock band is rarely reasonable. Being in a juggernaut like KISS between 78-83 was probably the ridiculous opposite of reasonable.

Look at how they handled things after the "farewell tour". They took some time off. Re-built the group. Did some touring, built a feeling with eachother and THEN recorded a new album. The band is stable. The business is stable.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

poserboy71 wrote:On August 16 , Many events have occured. Elvis died and so did Vinnie Vincent's career.
What happened on August 16?
Genebaby
Site Admin

Post by Genebaby »

The Invasion imploded.
Brainsaw

Post by Brainsaw »

Genebaby wrote:The Invasion imploded.
Not on August 16. Unless I'm missing something.

If someone is talking about the last tour date of ASG, then that was 10 days later.
poserboy71

Post by poserboy71 »

doublev2 wrote:
This was the last gig Vinnie ever played and most like the last one he will ever play. August 16 1988.

I was just being playful with Dino's comment. I didn't bother to look it up because it was said in jest.

NEWBEGINNINGS
erg2

Post by erg2 »

Ass Pimple knows ALL the dates. He's copied and pasted them again and again from his web sources, which are better than yours...damn right, they're better than yours...he can teach you but he'd have to charge.
Come out of the shadows
Insecurity lies
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

I always loved this pic... it looks like they are about to board the "spaceship" heard at the end of Invasion!

we eeer we eeer we eeer we eeer we eeer we eeer we eeer we eeer we eeer we eeer we eeer...
KissMyAss

Post by KissMyAss »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ....
Attachments
Vin.jpg
Vin.jpg (18.12 KiB) Viewed 7250 times
Live life as though it is the third law; "to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction." Rules apply whether we are cognizant of them or oblivious.
PinkWiz

Post by PinkWiz »

^^^I'd fuck her^^^